Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Americans are not your enemy,' Obama tells Muslims

#98QBKiller

Oh look... someone learned a new buzz word! :silly:

There are repercussions from every action or inaction. One bit of "blowback" that no one wants to talk about is that before 9/11 we ran away from every fight and earned a reputation as paper tigers. It's one of the reasons bin Laden thought he could attack us.

And for you SS... a reminder. Shutting down military bases around the world and breaking all of the treaties that would require would have shown you a whole new meaning to the word blowback. Thank God the loony uncle never made it past the primaries.

I just love your attacks as they show what a pathetic poster you really are.

1. The CIA coined the term blowback, why dont you try to read a book or two on the subject because you appear to be very lacking in basic comprehension of why the prhase was used by them.

2. This thread has literally zero to do with whom I supported in the primaries, why would you constantly bring it up?

3. I didnt mention a thing about anything other than this being a positive move by Obama.

My "loony uncle" has gotten more press time on his many views since the election ended than any other politician that was an "also ran".

Ity's not so strange to me now that you feel threatened that your silly little opinions suddenly have no bearing on the general political and cultural climate while the "Crazy Uncles" of the world do.

so MM, in short, your pathetic attempt at attack has once again failed.

Amazing how I can agree with you and disagree with you so much at the same time. Isolationism is a feeble joke in the 21st century.

I think "isolationism" is a poorly chosen word, because it aims to distort a particular philosophy. The specific policy that SnyderShrugged and others advocate is called non-interventionism, which encourages trading and talking with other countries but discourages invading them in the name of democracy or preemption. Non-interventionism is about diplomacy, free trade, and freedom of travel. That is not isolationism.

I think "isolationism" is a poorly chosen word, because it aims to distort a particular philosophy. The specific policy that SnyderShrugged and others advocate is called non-interventionism, which encourages trading and talking with other countries but discourages invading them in the name of democracy or preemption. Non-interventionism is about diplomacy, free trade, and freedom of travel. That is not isolationism.

You know, I can't help but notice that you're not all that wilsonian, wilsonian. :)

legitimate question. Unfortunately it seems that many hardcore republicans view Obama as "the enemy".

By "hardcore republicans" I am guessing you mean conservatives. We don't think Obama is the enemy, we just think he has no idea what he is doing and his policies are completely wrong for our country. I promise to treat him as nicely as the left treated W over the last 8 years.

How times have changed...I remember the words "Axis of evil" being used back in my days.

Times have changed,as well as the Axis of Evil

Lest ya'll forget W has reached out and supported Muslims as well as freedom

It is easy to say Can't we all be friends,after kicking some butt;)

I do think O did well though...times have changed,yet many problems remain.

By "hardcore republicans" I am guessing you mean conservatives. We don't think Obama is the enemy, we just think he has no idea what he is doing and his policies are completely wrong for our country. I promise to treat him as nicely as the left treated W over the last 8 years.

And the beat goes on.

Actually, when he said "hardcore Republicans" I took it he meant "hardcore Republicans".

If he had meant all conservatives, I bet that is what he'd have written.

You know, reading what someone actually says instead of trying to read INTO what they say saves you a lot of guessing.

~Bang

W did more to help Muslim across the world than any president in history.

And look where it got him.

Obama can say the right things. But it doesnt mean Muslims will listen. He can do the right things, and they might not care.

Bang has the right thought. The stick better be swinging in the background.

I waited until Bush screwed something up. With demonstrable results. Before I gave him the what for.

So you will approve of Obama until he starts an unnecessary war and questions your patriotism? Fair enough.

I know it's like beating a dead horse - but Bush did have a 90%+ favorability rating at one point. It's not like the vast majority of people on both sides of the aisle didn't want to give him a fair chance.

How quickly we forget.

I still don't hate Bush and wish him well in his retirement.

At this point what he says isn't as important as what he does. Put me down as another 'we shall see.'
I'm all for speaking softly.. just be sure that the Big Stick isn't completely out of sight.

~Bang

Give people an inch they'll take a mile.. Obama needs to be careful here
Clearly it's an intelligent thing to say and a good first step in what amounts to a marathon.
+1

And let me add one more message for the Middle east. If we are attacked again, we will be sure to elect someone who makes Bush look like a peace loving hippy.

Believe it or not, there are some leaders in the ME (and here) who have stated they suspect Obama would be very aggressive if the U.S. is attacked.

Stop with your We hate Obama stuff:

So the I support the troops but not the war was fine, but I support the President but not some of his policies are hate filled. Got it. Always nice to have it both ways.

He is a fresh face saying exactly the same thing as the previous face. Would be nice if it works.

I hate to say it but there's a lot of oil over there.
Times have changed,as well as the Axis of Evil

Let's ya'll forget W has reached out and supported Muslims as well as freedom

It is easy to say Can't we all be friends,after kicking some butt;)

I do think O did well though...times have changed,yet many problems remain.

W did more to help Muslim across the world than any president in history.

And look where it got him.

Obama can say the right things. But it doesnt mean Muslims will listen. He can do the right things, and they might not care.

Bang has the right thought. The stick better be swinging in the background.

BK17, I think your contetion re: W has room for discussion, but I agree he did his best and wanted to be fair. He did give many good statements on the matter. I think your use of the word "Muslims" where I highlighted seems painting with a very broad brush, even though possible in the literal sense. It is the militant factions that I think belong in your crosshairs. But I'm not alleviating the surrounding culture/populations in that part of the world of it's responsibility to exact consequences for the militant's actions if they truly don't support their views.

Anyway, I piled these all together because sometimes I like to just celebrate finding a handful of intelligent posts in a political thread. :)

Obama said the same thing Henry did in the speech: it will be his actions that count, not his words, though this is a place to start--with communcating his views and intentions.

Is it not the first time the POTUS addressed the Arab world directly about our realtionship Islam via an exclusive interview on an Arab television network? I'm genuinely asking that, not making a point. It seems to me if it is as it seems to me by memory, that is different, and to non-fanatics or radicals in that part of the world, generally taken as a sign of basic respect.

More will have to unfold.

Hard for me to believe anybody level-headed can be anywhere but "we shall see."

But the term "level-headed" effectively partitions off the many who are already (snidely or crudely) castigating the effort, or prematurely celebrating unearned greatness, into their customary camps.

Apparently you missed some of the long threads about the crazy uncle's plans for the military that involved closing all bases, funding them with bake sales (necessary because there would be no income taxes) and replacing them with pirates. :D

I just love your attacks as they show what a pathetic poster you really are.

1. The CIA coined the term blowback, why dont you try to read a book or two on the subject because you appear to be very lacking in basic comprehension of why the prhase was used by them.

2. This thread has literally zero to do with whom I supported in the primaries, why would you constantly bring it up?

3. I didnt mention a thing about anything other than this being a positive move by Obama.

My "loony uncle" has gotten more press time on his many views since the election ended than any other politician that was an "also ran".

Ity's not so strange to me now that you feel threatened that your silly little opinions suddenly have no bearing on the general political and cultural climate while the "Crazy Uncles" of the world do.

so MM, in short, your pathetic attempt at attack has once again failed.

:applause:

Congratulations. I don't think I have ever seen a more incoherent, rambling, personal attack over nothing in quite some time. May I suggest switching to decaf?

I know very well where the term "blowback" comes from. I just take it a step further by understanding that there can be "blowback" from EVERYTHING, including doing nothing. My understanding is a product independent thought and reason though so I can see why you would think my opinions have no bearing, having not come from a figure head to a crazy ideology. :D

jpyaks has great points. I watched a special on Iran the other day. I forget the guys name, but he was an American who went there to learn about the culture and people. So many people said the dont' hate the Americans, they hate what some of our country does...the biggest example was the role we played in the 70's w/ the Shah and the coups that happened.

The whole Middle East mess goes so far back, we could look at the Christian crusades and blame part of that. The religious wars going on run deeper than GWB or Obama. And while I would love to see someone make this better...I'm very skeptical

Isolationism is a feeble joke in the 21st century.

You know what it is feeble joke, suggesting that non-interventionism is the same thing as isolationism. There is nothing isolationist about an agenda that embraces free trade and open borders ( though I am not sure SS is down for open borders). Only in this country can embracing a foreign policy that is defensive can be considered isolationist. It is a sick and deliberate perversion of political language. I suggest you embrace your inner progressive and put down TNR.

Archived