Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: a deeper look into his numbers this season

No Excuses

If you'd hold on for a second, I'm on the phone with Coach Zorn right now...trying to get him to tell me if he called those plays or not. :doh:

And for all we know, Zorn calls short passes to open up the offense and it never happens. Or, maybe Zorn calls a few deep passes and the receivers don't get open.

Then explain 2007 to us. Campbell didn't go deep in 2007 either. The difference between Collins as QB and Campbell as QB was just huge.

Campbell Haters do nothing but make excuses. :rolleyes:

I don't see the excuses you're talking about. If anything, all I have seen from you in about 30 threads are excuses FOR JC. First of all, we don't hate him. We only want to see this team succeed. If that means an open QB competition, so be it. What's it gonna hurt? If he is as great as you say he is, he will blow all the competition out of the way, and all of us supposed "JC HATERS" will STFU. Right?

And those playactions didn't work either, which means that Campbell can't make deep throws, period. Also, you're making a huge assumption here. How do you know for a fact that it's Zorn who has refused to call deep throws? For all we know, it could be Campbell who refuses to throw deep because of his inability to see open receivers.

I think it was the 2nd play from scrimmage on that Sunday night in BAL. 1st down we run, typical line surge for 1 or 2 yards...like the first pawn making its first step, very transparent. Guys could just go through the motions pretty much, a nothing play. If only to set up the next play or to at least play your cards in the fashion that you think your opponent was expecting to see on 1st down.

Then 2nd down, Campbell drops back, straight dropback, no play action, 5 or 7 step, he's looking down-field to his right side, you get the sense the play call was to send it down-field in hopes for a big play right off the bat. Prolly an X & Z - Zoom, hoping that the Safety was Cover 1 and would shade one way, so you'd have at least one WR in a man to man, the other would have the safety over-top.

Campbell's read was prolly eye check the deep Zoom route, watch the safety and try to draw him in. There probably was an immediate check down with the TE or H-back in a 7 yrd hook. That would have also been on the right side of the field, strong-side for that formation and also wide-side of the field since we ran left on 1st down. So Campbell could have kept his head squared to the right-side and always knew that if #1 the deep wasn't there he had the #2, TE in the zone gap behind the LB, same field of vision. Plus the last route would have been a 45* degree turn to the weak-side, for X wr in a Zoom pattern.

BAL sent a LB, they sent it weak side, Campbell's blind-side. X wr was prolly on Zoom on Weak-side, would have been nice for a drag route right behind that LB that blitzed, that would have been the play to get some yards, if passing.

Anyway, Campbell held the ball and was looking to turn it loose, he definately was going to throw deep. Kind of a ballsy call against the top D in the NFL (pass & rush) for your first offensive drive and 2nd play of the game. But of course Campbell holds on to the ball just a little bit too long and I think it was Bart Scott who beat Samuels and got to him just as he releases and the ball goes zoomin' in the air and Ed Reed does superman and we're in a big hole.

The play was there, gutsy call...either big play and you hit it off, or pass interference and get the yards, or incomplete pass but made a statement to the D that we are gonna test ya so watch out, or turnover. And of course it was typical pass protection breakdown and forced arrant throw and pick...1,2,3 strikes, you're out.

:doh: I didn't want this to become a Zorn bashing thread, but I guess that's inevitable with any Campbell one. As far as this is, I guess it's completely irrational debating with some of you, because either some of you are hell bent on considering that Campbell is beyond terrible and the other half is convinced that he is a victim of circumstances.

I root for whoever is taking the snaps. I don't want Campbell to fail, I'm just trying to put a better perspective on the state of this team using STATS, which the Cult of Campbell always ignores :helmet:

Oh well, whatever HTTR :dallasuck

If you'd hold on for a second, I'm on the phone with Coach Zorn right now...trying to get him to tell me if he called those plays or not. :doh:

And for all we know, Zorn calls short passes to open up the offense and it never happens. Or, maybe Zorn calls a few deep passes and the receivers don't get open.

I can accept that. But you also have to accept the fact that Zorn called deep passes that JC found a way to screw up.

It's year 1, maybe Campbell can get one more season to improve. I mean damn fella...1 season under Zorn and that's it??

What's it? I'm not calling for his head, I'm not calling for him to be benched. I actually WANT him to play because I like him a lot. But show me why he deserves to be the no question #1 starter.

I told you exactly why. He can't throw into pressure. If Moss isn't WIDE OPEN, he is going to check down.

It's probably one of two key things holding him back.

Two things Zorn is fully aware of, and I'm sure plans on addressing.

Campbell, in Zorn's mind (and many fans') is good enough for now, since we have other pressing needs that if addressed can catapult us to the top with Campbell at the helm.

Zorn, who knows more about QBing than all of us, has determined that for now Campbell is the right option. His opinion may change, but for now, that's his read on the situation (who has seen Colt and Jason extensively). Zorn has more pertinent data at his fingertips than all of us.

:doh: I didn't want this to become a Zorn bashing thread, but I guess that's inevitable with any Campbell one.

/quote]

Just as it was inevitable for them to bash Saunders, a proven NFL offensive coordinator who produced TOP FLIGHT offenses in this league in favor of the slow-released, molasses-synapsed mediocrity they've embraced.

The play was there, gutsy call...either big play and you hit it off, or pass interference and get the yards, or incomplete pass but made a statement to the D that we are gonna test ya so watch out, or turnover. And of course it was typical pass protection breakdown and forced arrant throw and pick...1,2,3 strikes, you're out.

Yeah, I remember that play. It's definitely not the playcalling that's the problem here but the QB. Now, I'm not blind either. I see that the offensive line isn't doing its job, but Campbell holds on to the ball a bit too long. And even when he throws the ball, he is not accurate. Campbell can make the intermediate/short throws, but his deep throw is a HUGE problem. It was the same BS last year.

It seems to be a trend with you guys. When someone disagrees with your views, and you have no solid answers or "comebacks", resort to homosexual connotations.

The hypocrisy in that statement is truly unbelievable.

There's been countless posts, on countless threads you yourself have started this past week on #17, where most any time anyones put up a counter argument, often backed up with stats to debunk your excuses, that you resort to questioning their intelligence in some highly demeaning manner.

And many instances of people pulling you over it.

Yet anytime the reverse happens to you, you make some vein attempt to show the poster up like in the above.

People in glass houses and all that.....

Hail.

And while Campbell may have missed a few deep balls, you have to accept the fact that maybe the O-Line didn't give him enough time.
#21 = JCs twin brother

He’s not totally failing,” Zorn said. “I’m putting him in some advanced situations ... I’m pleased in the direction that he’s going.”

“He was very average,” Zorn said of Campbell. “A couple throws were off. ... I put a lot on him to be right every time. He knows I think he can do it. I think he can really do it.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/120208_Zorn_stands_by_Campbell.html

Now thats some confidence!

Just as it was inevitable for them to bash Saunders, a proven NFL offensive coordinator who produced TOP FLIGHT offenses in this league in favor of the slow-released, molasses-synapsed mediocrity they've embraced.

Yup. People bashed Saunders even though he had one of the most high flying passing attacks in the league. Trent Green eclipsed a yards per pass average of 7.2 in each of his healthy seasons under Saunders, he even hit above 8.0 in a couple. Same with Collins, in the few games he played last year, he dramatically improved this teams yards per pass by 1.9 (Campbell had 6.5 and Collins had 8.4).

But I'm sure its because coaches hate JC and don't call deep passes for him. I'm sure there was no valid reason to why a proven NFL coordinator wouldn't call deep shots for a third year first round pick in his second year in the system :doh:

And while Campbell may have missed a few deep balls, you have to accept the fact that maybe the O-Line didn't give him enough time.

Holy crap dude. Every post you claim it is "us" that is making the excuses but do you read you're own posts. If it isn't the playcalling it's the Oline. Yes, everything is the problem, but the way you are going at it you are basically putting no blame on JC.

that you resort to questioning their intelligence in some highly demeaning manner.

It's not even glass houses, when someone behaves in that manner, it's not even simple human hypocrisy, it's an indication of character. Just use the ignore list. Don't let that evil into your life too much, it's better in the long run to avoid it. There's enough that you CAN'T avoid to handle in this life.

Interesting post Vishal- appreciate the legwork. I wish we could have adult conversations about the team and about our players- but for most its impossible. Some of you really need to grow up or spend some time away from the board. I can't imagine that people act the goat this much in person.

My question would be how the other QB's in the WCO system ranked, i.e. Donovan McNabb. It's accepted that the purest form of the WCO that exists is run by Reid.

And I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss Hasselbecks' YPP. Seems like a very valid comparison.

There's been countless posts, on countless threads you yourself have started this past week on #17, where most any time anyones put up a counter argument, often backed up with stats to debunk your excuses, that you resort to questioning their intelligence in some highly demeaning manner.

Yet anytime the reverse happens to you, you make some vein attempt to show the poster up like in the above.

Hail.

Right Hog...everyone posts stats and I never do. You have me all figured out. Only problem with that, ES keeps track of all our posts.

I only question those who refuse to see BOTH sides. It seems easier to blame Campbell, but none of the Campbell Haters even see the O-Line as a remote possibility for the issues. That's ignorant no matter how you slice it and dice it.

Grow up man, and stop playing this holier than thou game with me.

I don't think there is a person here who will say our O-line was spectacular. We all know that it needs an overhaul and was partially to blame. All we are asking for is an open QB competition. If JC wins, great! He is our starting QB and I'll support him. But if he can't pull it off, then it's time to bring in someone who can get the job done.

Someone else posted that every other player in the league is expected to compete for their position. Why isn't/shouldn't JC be expected to do the same thing?

It's not even glass houses, when someone behaves in that manner, it's not even simple human hypocrisy, it's an indication of character. Just use the ignore list. Don't let that evil into your life too much, it's better in the long run to avoid it. There's enough that you CAN'T avoid to handle in this life.

:rolleyes:

Archived