Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: a deeper look into his numbers this season

No Excuses

Nice excuse that you are making for Jason Campbell. Lots of that going on around here. If you weren't a Redskins fan and you were objectively looking at Jason Campbell and his stats, I bet that you would have a different opinion about him. To be honest with you, this thread isn't worthless, its actually stating facts.....facts that people on here are still disputing and making excuses about.

campbell isn't what I'd call a good QB right now. he's still going to grow into the system or not grow and be phased out for someone else. those are the facts.

if you weren't a campbell hater you'd see that zorn's playcalling was very conservative not allowing for deepshots and you'd realize campbell and the WR's are in the first year of a transition to a WC offense. I'm sure all the talking heads on ESPN/Fox/CBS are screaming conservative run first offense because zorn is a pass happy coach who's letting his QB air it out right ? :doh:

owned9wz.jpg

So is Zorn screaming in JCs ear.....

"Throw to the Safety Valve?"

Let me ask you a question

What was Zorn correcting in JC on the sidelines during the 9er game?

Ya Know.....when Zorn should have been watching the game and not holding JCs hand?

The HC's job is to teach the QB, especially when the HC is an ex-QB.

I think it's so stupid for anyone to think Jason Campbell purposefully ignore the deep receivers, and that he prefers 5-6 yard dump offs. I mean are you guys serious???

I think people tend to forget the QB doesn't call the plays. If Campbell called his own plays, we'd probably throw 4-5 deep balls a game.

So we never ran routes past 20 yards 4 times in a game?

WCO is designed for short passes, but the long ones are there. JC looks deep, doesn't see Moss 10 yards ahead of anyone, so he drops it short.

oh and lets compare jason campbell's numbers to matt hasslebecks numbers in the first year playing in a WC system.Matt Hasslebeck actually had 2 years to sit and learn the WCO from Holmgrem and Favre in green bay.

the OP is actually trying to compare a pro bowl QB to a "talented but not there yet NFL QB" to reach a conclusion that Campbell probably won't do well in the future.

Campbell

16 games

506 attempts

315 completions

62.3% completed

3245 yards

6.4 YPA

13 TD's

6 INT's

Hasslebeck

13 games

321 attempts

176 completions

54.8% completed

2023 yards

6.3 YPA

7 TD's

8 INT's

give campbell his second year then toss him off the roof or back up the money truck. because hasselbeck who had 2 years in the WC scheme prior seattle stunk up the joint compared to campbell. hasselbeck then evolved into a probowl QB to which you are comparing campbell.

You're asking these guys to be reasonable, and that just isn't possible from the Campbell Haters.

I mean some guy even started a thread about signing Hass!

So all those check downs are by Zorns design?

BS

JC is to conservative because....

JC is inaccurate....that hurts YPP

It also hurts WRs that have to stand an take hits

:rotflmao:

what check downs? seriously

it's been reported several time Zorn only called one play where anyone went deep, Sunday.

the rest of your post, one must ask.... exactly what game were ou watching?

when have WRs had to stand an take hits? unless the route calls for a wr to sit in the open area, no wr stops his route, and stands around, and if they did something that dumb, it would be of their own choosing, nothing JC did

WCO is designed for short passes, but the long ones are there. JC looks deep, doesn't see Moss 10 yards ahead of anyone, so he drops it short.

If the long ones are there, why didn't Campbell attempt them? Oh, that's right, you guys say he doesn't have the nuts to want first downs and touchdowns. :doh:

oh and lets compare jason campbell's numbers to matt hasslebecks numbers in the first year playing in a WC system.Matt Hasslebeck actually had 2 years to sit and learn the WCO from Holmgrem and Favre in green bay.

the OP is actually trying to compare a pro bowl QB to a "talented but not there yet NFL QB" to reach a conclusion that Campbell probably won't do well in the future.

Campbell

16 games

506 attempts

315 completions

62.3% completed

3245 yards

6.4 YPA

13 TD's

6 INT's

Hasslebeck

13 games

321 attempts

176 completions

54.8% completed

2023 yards

6.3 YPA

7 TD's

8 INT's

give campbell his second year then toss him off the roof or back up the money truck. because hasselbeck who had 2 years in the WC scheme prior seattle stunk up the joint compared to campbell. hasselbeck then evolved into a probowl QB to which you are comparing campbell.

Hasselbeck was also a sixth round pick who had a lot to work on from ground to up. If anything, Hasselbeck should be a good example for the Cult of Colt or those who believe Brennan will have quick success in the league. It's also not very accurate to compare passing attacks in the season Hasselbeck started or any other QB for that matter. Passing rules have changed and the league has become more pass happy. Plus two QB's are never the same.

What Hasselbeck did in a system has no bearings on what Campbell will do.

But what you expect Campbell to do is to outplay his competitors, which he failed to do in 08. First year or not, the fact that his numbers are comparable to guys like Thigpen etc. is very discouraging. A fourth year first round pick shouldn't have to struggle to be a bottom of the barrell QB.

and again, those harping on his completion % and QB rating, these aren't accurate stats unless you put them in correlation with other things.

You're asking these guys to be reasonable, and that just isn't possible from the Campbell Haters.

I mean some guy even started a thread about signing Hass!

it really is sad how some people lack objectivity and claim they have it. Only to post a partisan view

Hasselbeck was also a sixth round pick who had a lot to work on from ground to up. If anything, Hasselbeck should be a good example for the Cult of Colt or those who believe Brennan will have quick success in the league. It's also not very accurate to compare passing attacks in the season Hasselbeck started or any other QB for that matter. Passing rules have changed and the league has become more pass happy. Plus two QB's are never the same.

What Hasselbeck did in a system has no bearings on what Campbell will do.

But what you expect Campbell to do is to outplay his competitors, which he failed to do in 08. First year or not, the fact that his numbers are comparable to guys like Thigpen etc. is very discouraging. A fourth year first round pick shouldn't have to struggle to be a bottom of the barrell QB.

and again, those harping on his completion % and QB rating, these aren't accurate stats unless you put them in correlation with other things.

HAHAH WOW

you're making excuses so Hasslebecks first year and JC's first year can't be compared

you're objectivity is laying on the ground dead sir.

I'm done.

:rotflmao:

what check downs? seriously

it's been reported several time Zorn only called one play where anyone went deep, Sunday.

the rest of your post, one must ask.... exactly what game were ou watching?

when have WRs had to stand an take hits? unless the route calls for a wr to sit in the open area, no wr stops his route, and stands around, and if they did something that dumb, it would be of their own choosing, nothing JC did

:applause:

I think the Campbell Haters feel it's easier to blame JC, then to blame the obvious culprit---Head Coach Jim Zorn.

....I can remember prior to this season, so many people said Campbell's height in reference to ARE and Moss' heights were going to be a problem. Now all of a sudden, Campbell's being blamed for high passes, when only a year ago these same people said we need taller receivers. Well we got taller receivers and both STILL dropped passes.
Eventually people will understand that height does not make a WR good or bad. I'd take speed and quickness any day over a 6'4" receiver.

The HC's job is to teach the QB, especially when the HC is an ex-QB.

I think it's so stupid for anyone to think Jason Campbell purposefully ignore the deep receivers, and that he prefers 5-6 yard dump offs. I mean are you guys serious???

So what's the excuse for Jason putting up horrible yards per pass averages for his three starting seasons?

In 06 he averaged 6.3

In 07, he raised it up to 6.5 in his second year in the system

In 08, he posted 6.4

I'm assuming Saunders and Zorn both called short passing plays? And while you're at it, why don't you post Zorns playbook since you know so well that all he calls is short routes even though the TV coverage never shows wide receiver routes down the field?

not in the last few

does anyone ever watch the game or pay attention, :doh:

you can't throw the ball where no ones there to catch it, be sort of silly wouldn't it?

If you can assume it's Campbell, why can we not assume it's Zorn's play calling? Or does it only work for your side of this debate??

You want proof?

Head Coach - Jim Zorn

QB - Jason Campbell

Head Coach calls the plays into the QB.

QB executes said plays.

If said plays are not available, or if the O-Line doesn't afford the QB ample time, QB must do what's available.

You didn't furnish any evidence to show that it's Zorn's playcalling that's the problem. For all we know, Zorn has been calling all the deep throws, and it's Campbell who refuses to throw it, or simply doesn't have the ability to find an open receiver. As I said, Campbell has only completed about three deep passes this year. That's it. THREE. Campbell of course has thrown deep, but most of them are incompletions, or he throws at Moss even when he's covered.

HAHAH WOW

you're making excuses so Hasslebecks first year and JC's first year can't be compared

you're objectivity is laying on the ground dead sir.

I'm done.

I never made an excuse for Hasselbeck. I'm comparing Campbell to other QB's in 2008, not a QB who played in 2000. Their are way too many factors that can't be equated into a comparison between a span of 8 seasons.

I'm sure it is my objectivity that is laying on the ground dead. Excuse me for using 2008 as a benchmark and not 2000.

:bsflag:

I think people tend to forget the QB doesn't call the plays. If Campbell called his own plays, we'd probably throw 4-5 deep balls a game.

And maybe his Head Coach doesn't have the confidence in his lack of development, which 4 years in is a scandolous statement in it's self, to trust him to throw deep.

Hell, he struggles in the 20-40 intermediate range, let alone his deep ball.

That said, there's been countless plays when Moss, Cooley and even El at times have been wide open for the big gain downfield, but Jason's slow speed of thought and reactions force him to chose the early dump off.

Hail.

you also forgot to mention in your stats that zorn doesn't attack downfield so campbells YPA will be fairly low compared to anyone else in a more normal passing attack.

All of the pass plays are not designed to be short screens/dumpoffs/checkdowns...in fact not even most of them are.

Go back and watch the games and there is a deep receiver on almost every play but Campbell has a hard time making those throws.

It's not all his fault, sometimes there are protection breakdowns and sometimes the receivers are double-teamed or just can't get separation, and of course sometimes he just misses them or doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough.

I'm tired of people acting like all of the WR routes are behind the 1st down marker on pass plays...it's simply not true.

And maybe his Head Coach doesn't have the confidence in his lack of development, which 4 years in is a scandolous statement in it's self, to trust him to throw deep.

Hell, he struggles in the 20-40 intermediate range, let alone his deep ball.

Hail.

I think the deep throw is Campbell's weakness. Even last year, when Saunders was the playcaller, Campbell hardly ever went deep. It would be one thing if Campbell wasn't going deep this year only, but this has been a pattern.

I remember reading a scouting report that seemed to imply that Campbell doesn't have accurate deep throws. He has all the arm strength in the world, but what good is it if you're not accurate?

I told you exactly why. He can't throw into pressure. If Moss isn't WIDE OPEN, he is going to check down.

Do you even watch Redskin games?? Campbell throws MANY passes into pressure and tight coverage. I'm starting to think this is a no-win battle with you Campbell Haters, since it's obvious none of you guys see any of the good he's done...only the bad. :rolleyes:

Do you even watch Redskin games?? Campbell throws MANY passes into pressure and tight coverage. I'm starting to think this is a no-win battle with you Campbell Haters, since it's obvious none of you guys see any of the good he's done...only the bad. :rolleyes:

Past 20 yards? You're arguing the wrong thing. I'm actually not a "Cambell Hater", but you for sure need to get off his nut sack.

You didn't furnish any evidence to show that it's Zorn's playcalling that's the problem. For all we know, Zorn has been calling all the deep throws, and it's Campbell who refuses to throw it, or simply doesn't have the ability to find an open receiver. As I said, Campbell has only completed about three deep passes this year. That's it. THREE. Campbell of course has thrown deep, but most of them are incompletions, or he throws at Moss even when he's covered.

If you'd hold on for a second, I'm on the phone with Coach Zorn right now...trying to get him to tell me if he called those plays or not. :doh:

And for all we know, Zorn calls short passes to open up the offense and it never happens. Or, maybe Zorn calls a few deep passes and the receivers don't get open.

And for all we know, Zorn calls short passes to open up the offense and it never happens. Or, maybe Zorn calls a few deep passes and the receivers don't get open.

This is the NFL. You're rarely going to be "open". That's put on the QBs shoulders to put the ball into the right place, at the right time for the WR to catch it.

Archived