Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any other Z2k9 victims? 30gb Zune FROZEN at 3 AM EST

skinsfan07

At 3 AM EST which is 12 AM PST December 31st 2008, my 30gb Zune along with seemingly every one else in the United States, completely froze. I was listening to Bob Marley trying to go to sleep and the song ended, my screen went completely black, so I tried to manually reboot it, and when it did, the status bar reached 100% and just froze. None of the buttons were working, it was just frozen. So I let it die by itself overnight, plugged it in this morning to try to see if that would work and the same thing happened. No one seems to know what's wrong with it.

Here a video on youtube that happened to the some one else.......

Zune forums thread

http://forums.zune.net/405657/ShowPost.aspx

CNET Article

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10129977-75.html

Looks like the Midwest isn't the only thing that's freezing up this holiday season: many people are reporting their 30GB Zunes are spontaneously going on the fritz as well.

he symptom is reported widely on discussion boards about Microsoft's music player, including Zune.net, ZuneUser.com, and ZuneScene. With the problem, people's Zunes reboot but freeze when the startup status bar reaches 100 percent. Some users reported the problem happened at exactly midnight PST, at the very beginning of the last day of the year, leading some wags to call the problem Z2K after the Y2K problem that was widely feared to cripple the computing industry when computer clocks moved from 1999 to 2000.

"It reset itself. I don't know why," said one owner who posted an

after reporting it on the Zune.net forum.

Microsoft didn't immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday morning.

"I hate to say it but I believe this is the end of the road for the Zune and I. Just as I was happy with the last update and things were fine, we get another major meltdown. I was always supportive and had good things to say about my Zune to those that would ask, however this is the nail in the coffin," griped user Redinight on a ZuneScene discussion board. "I can't take it anymore. I can't sit here all the time and wonder what Microsoft does right or wrong anymore, I just want to get up and go listen to my music. Listening to music is about the last thing I do with my Zune. I always have to reinstall, download new firmware, or wait for the slow software to catch up. Now this? I want to throw it away and never look back."

Update 8:11 a.m. PST:: Microsoft has acknowledged the issue on the Zune support site. "Customers with 30gb Zune devices may experience issues when booting their Zune hardware. We're aware of the problem and are working to correct it. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience!"

Anyone else experince this??? It sucks. I hope all my music doesn't get wiped out. Although I have it all saved elsewhere it would suck to do it again, plus upgrade firware, software, etc...

who the **** owns a ZUNE??

Zune > Ipod in terms of playing music, videos and everything else you can do with it. Other than the ****ty microsoft firmware, the Zune pwns the classic ipod and video ipod in terms of well everything

Price - Zune

Video screen size - Zune

Online community - Zune

Now if we're talking about the iPod touch, than that thing is awesome, but if we're comparing the Zune vs the iPod, than the Zune easily wins.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/12/zune-30-shutdow.html

Responding to the situation, Microsoft issued this statement: "We are aware that customers with the Zune 30GB are experiencing issues with their Zune device. We are actively working now to isolate the issue and develop a solution to address it. We will keep customers informed on next steps via the support page on zune.net."

http://www.zune.net/en-US/support

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/12/zune-30-shutdow.html

Responding to the situation, Microsoft issued this statement: "We are aware that customers with the Zune 30GB are experiencing issues with their Zune device. We are actively working now to isolate the issue and develop a solution to address it. We will keep customers informed on next steps via the support page on zune.net."

http://www.zune.net/en-US/support

I swear they better be able to release a patch to fix this.I can't believe it happened to everyone with a 30gb Zune.

http://gizmodo.com/5121618/how-to-revive-dead-zunes-30s

Reader Neil has just told us a DIY solution to revive Zune 30s killed by the Zunepocalypse until Microsoft gets back with an official fix. It requires some slight disassembly, but nothing too complicated.

Follow Rapid Repair's guide to taking your Zune apart to step 4, so you have access to the hard drive and the battery. Disconnect BOTH the battery and hard drive, and then plug 'em back in. This apparently resets the Zune's internal clock, which brings it back to life. Put it back together, and it should be 100 percent again. (Assuming you don't screw it up.)

The risk here is that we're not sure how attempting this DIY fix will play into what Microsoft's solution is. Like, if for some reason you've gotta send it in to Microsoft, this might screw up your warranty situation. But, at least you'll have a working Zune sooner, rather than later. Thanks Neil!

When will people wake up to the fact that Microsoft makes crap?

I have an old iPod mini that still works just fine. I've dropped it on cement and it keeps on going. I'm getting a kit to mount it in my car that makes the stereo think its one big CD changer. Song titles and information will display in the radio screen.

For carry around music, I have my iPhone. I've dropped it several times as well. Once on cement. Never had a problem. Updates? Every one makes it better and adds features. With the software that is available, it's more like a pocket laptop with an MP3 player and phone.

Zune? :rotflmao:

(Sorry. I'm not laughing at your predicament. I do feel for you. :-( )

It appears that you get what you paid for.

I don't know if this has happened to my zune or not. I haven't used it in a few days. I'll check it out when I get home though.

However, I paid $90 for my Zune. It's got 30gb.

I spend $250 on my 20gb ipod that lasted a year before it died and wouldn't come back on. The fix according to the apple store was more than I paid for my Zune.

Chances are, Microsoft will have a software fix shortly.

Sure, there are ipods that can do substantially more, but you also pay for it.

Zune > Ipod in terms of playing music, videos and everything else you can do with it. Other than the ****ty microsoft firmware, the Zune pwns the classic ipod and video ipod in terms of well everything

Price - Zune

Video screen size - Zune

Online community - Zune

...Randomly turning itself into an expensive paperweight - Zune

LOL at M$. Just think if every xbox360 at midnight tonight got the RROD it would be disastrous.

To the OP I hope your zune will work again. Good luck.

I got a RROD from just trying to update my 360. It's funny that Microsoft would allow an update to be released that would freeze halfway through, and therefore ruin the 360 it was trying to update.

That's partly why I don't care about having so many features on my mp3 player. I just want to play music on it. I don't need the internet, games, and all the other crap.

Well. So far the zune cost me $90 for 13 months of use.

My ipod cost me $250 for 13 months of use and is broken.

The major difference is a software update will most likely fix the zune. The ipod had broken hardware.

I'm not going to freak out over not being able to use my zune for 24 hours.

This thread is so full of FUD it makes my head hurt.

You obviously do not realize that in the last year MS has given Zune early adopters (30 GB owners) firmware updates that have enabled owners to play games, sync their Zunes via their wireless networks, and download songs directly to their player via Wi-Fi.

This problem will get fixed & most owners should be grateful that MS hasn't left them behind like Apple when players get new features.

Archived