Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who gets cut in the offseason?

EvoSkins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think Griffin,Springs,Washington,Thrash and Phillip Daniels are definately gone. I think Randle El will have to restructure his contract for us to keep him. Smoot could be another possiblity. I do believe we'll be players in the Albert Haynesworth sweepstakes, although he may be to expensive for us to handle, he will be the highest paid defensive player in history.

Kendell is gone cause he's a FA. He may be putting up the cleats anyways

Washington and Springs, I fear are gone.

Collins is staying for another year (more time for Colt to develop anyways)

Daniels will probably be gone too

Jansen will stay, I highly doubt he'll start

And we always think Thrash is gone, but god damn, the dude stays everytime.

I agree that Griffin is done. Golston, however, is a serviceable rotational guy. As is Lorenzo Alexander.

HB Blades has been decent for us as a reserve backer. I don't know where you get the notion that he's done nothing.

Yes, we drafted two receivers. And now, when we get rid of two, we're stuck with three total receivers. Not a good move. Now we're looking to sign/draft MORE receivers. Just what we need when we need to upgrade the lines, right?

Plackemeier has done a good job for us. He's been much better than Frost AND Brooks. Not sure where this came from either.

I agree with what you said about HB, but disagree with your last two points.

We can bring in some undrafted FA WRs to training camp. Maybe one of them can return punts and kicks for us. Also, we can make low-level FA signing for a #3/4 WR. Nothing expensive.

Plackemeier is been awful and being better than Brooks is not the standard we are looking at. I actually think Frost had done a better job for us in his years here.

I agree with what you said about HB, but disagree with your last two points.

We can bring in some undrafted FA WRs to training camp. Maybe one of them can return punts and kicks for us. Also, we can make low-level FA signing for a #3/4 WR. Nothing expensive.

Plackemeier is been awful and being better than Brooks is not the standard we are looking at. I actually think Frost had done a better job for us in his years here.

I won't get in to it about Plack. I haven't paid enough overall attention to the punts because I was too busy shaking my head and swearing after awful offensive possessions to do so... I mean I've watched them all, but I don't think I've noted where they've went.

And I completely forgot about the practice squad receivers. Aromashadu, and Horace Gant are still there. And who knows what other former PS type guys will be hanging around in the offseason. I wouldn't be too upset with the addition of those guys and the clearing of Thrash and El. Although, I still think we should keep one, like Thrash, just for special teams ability. But I digress that point.

Trade Betts...

This offseason we certainly need to get rid off the following folks ...

1. Jon Jansen

2. The Punter, Plac??

3. James Thrash

4. Pete Kendall

5. Shawn Spring

6. Marcus Washington

7. ARE (love the guy, but is too expensive...)

8. Cassey Rabach

9. Randy Thomas

10. Fred Smoot (Need to upgrade our DBs with young talent)

11. Philip Daniels

12. Andre Carter (Paid too much, and he has yet to deliver ...)

We need to sign Hall -- he is the real deal at DB.

I'd keep Jansen with a restructured contract for depth. Kendall will probably retire with hopefully Rinehart stepping up to his potential as a 3rd round pick to take his spot.

Our aging 2004 FA class on defense of Washington, Springs, Daniels, and Griffin will all be cut or major paycuts.

James Thrash is no longer the reliable target as a WR and his special teams skills can be replaced by a younger player.

Jason Taylor has what, $8M owed to him if we keep him. Not worth that. Fortunately with the trade, there's no dead cap space to cut him. Another waste of a trade for a draft pick. 20/20 hindsight however, as at the time, the move was needed.

Todd Collins isn't worth as much in the WCO, as he doesn't have the benefit of multiple years experience as with the Saunders offense. Colt should become the #2 (NOT close to being starter-ready though...). We can pick up some vet or young guy experienced in the WCO to be our #3.

Hopefully, we bring in some good competition for our special teams spots at P and K because Suisham is becoming more unreliable beyond 40 yards and Plackemeier can't get any rolls for pinning his punts within the 20. Not saying that these guys should be cut, but definitely need competition.

ARE's contract should be looked at, but feel we'll need him as we only would have 2 vet WRs without Thrash.

On the o-line, I see us cutting Fabini and Geisinger, who are replaced on the roster by our first and third round draft picks. One of those picks should be a Center/Guard and the other should be a tackle. The tackle should be taken in the first round. Rinehart challenges Kendall or Thomas for a starting position. We'll also take a close look at Kerry Brown, the kid out of Appy State on IR this year. Jansen or Heyer may get cut in June, depending on how the young talent looks.

Yoder could be replaced by a quicker TE who can play better special teams. Davis is given another year to develop.

Thrash should be cut. Moss, ARE and Kelly/Thomas are the principles. We could make a FA acquisition here. I'd love to trade ARE if anyone is willing.

JC, Collins and Brennan remain.

I can see us trying to trade Betts for a mid-round draft pick. We could use the pick for a change of pace RB with real playmaking ability, a la Leon Washington, who can return kicks and punts. In that case, Rock might be replaced by a bigger RB who can step in for CP.

On defense, I don't see us keeping both Khary Campbell and Fincher. Marcus Washington is probably gone. We need to pick up a solid LB in free agency and another in the 5th or 6th round. Jason Taylor can be part of the LB mix as well. We start McIntosh, Fletcher and the FA. Blades, Campbellor Fincher, and the draft pick will be in reserve and play teams.

If Tryon doesn't make monumental improvements, he should be gone. I see Springs on his way out as well. Keep Hall. Start him with Rogers, Landry and Horton. Smoot stays at nickel. Find a fifth CB, and go with Doughty and Moore as backup safeties.

Griffin and Daniels are probably gone from the D-Line. I'm not as down on this group as most, since our defense has impressed me this year. Sure, we could get more sacks, if our offense scored more points and put teams in a position where they were forced to pass....but we haven't done that in one game all year. That's when defenses rack up the sacks. I see us starting Taylor/Evans, Golston, Monty, and Carter. Alexander stays. We cut one of the 3 remaining ends (Jackson, Wilson, James), and sign another DT.

Obviously, if we can upgrade the punter and place kicker, we should.

Here's the Cap Ramifications for cutting som of the most popular choices here:

1. Shawn "Glassman" Springs - SAVE: $6Mil (HE GONE)

2. Jon "Swiss" Jansen - COST: $2.775Mil

3. Pete Kendall is a Free Agent

4. Antwaan Randle El - COST: $.674Mil

5. Shawn "No Leg" Suisham is a Free Agent (HE GONE)

6. Ryan "Fatty McFatterson" Plackemier - Free and clear cut (HE GONE)

7. Marcus Washington - SAVE: $4.5Mil (HE GONE)

8. Phillip Daniels - SAVE: $1.943Mil

9. Casey Rabach - SAVE: $2.35Mil

10. Cornelius Griffin - SAVE: $3.617Mil

After looking over the numbers our boys are going to have to work their magic to get under with enough room to sign D. Hall and one other FA (Hainesworth) as well as the draft.

Not to mention the FA resigns we need to make:

Albright, Motgomery, Golston and Fincher

First there is no guarantee we get Haynesworth he may stay in Tennessee. So I'm looking at this as if there are no quality FAs to fill on the Dline.

Add Betts to that list and draft a back up

A week ago I would have agreed, but with our holes on O and D Line, LB and WR, I'm not sure we can afford to let betts go, unless we can get a pick out of him. (say a 4th rder)

I think Griffin,Springs,Washington,Thrash and Phillip Daniels are definately gone. I think Randle El will have to restructure his contract for us to keep him. Smoot could be another possiblity. I do believe we'll be players in the Albert Haynesworth sweepstakes, although he may be to expensive for us to handle, he will be the highest paid defensive player in history.

I think Either Griff or Phillip will be gone. I think Phillip staying depends on his recovery from the injury. He has some size and can play DT if we need to, but Grif has really looked lost of late. I think we keep Smoot because we have him signed to a decent contract.

Trade Betts...

This offseason we certainly need to get rid off the following folks ...

1. Jon Jansen

2. The Punter, Plac??

3. James Thrash

4. Pete Kendall

5. Shawn Spring

6. Marcus Washington

7. ARE (love the guy, but is too expensive...)

8. Cassey Rabach

9. Randy Thomas

10. Fred Smoot (Need to upgrade our DBs with young talent)

11. Philip Daniels

12. Andre Carter (Paid too much, and he has yet to deliver ...)

We need to sign Hall -- he is the real deal at DB.

Dude Thomas is one of the Few OLineman that has played well on our line. Why would you cut him? Remember you are going to have to do the O-line rebuilding in pieces, it won't happen all at once, so if Jansen is gone Thomas has to stay. Carter is going no where also.

I agree that Griffin is done. Golston, however, is a serviceable rotational guy. As is Lorenzo Alexander.

HB Blades has been decent for us as a reserve backer. I don't know where you get the notion that he's done nothing.

Yes, we drafted two receivers. And now, when we get rid of two, we're stuck with three total receivers. Not a good move. Now we're looking to sign/draft MORE receivers. Just what we need when we need to upgrade the lines, right?

Plackemeier has done a good job for us. He's been much better than Frost AND Brooks. Not sure where this came from either.

In the case of ARE.. He either restructures his entire contract to reflect his performance or he gets cut.. He's not worth what he's about to get paid.

I agree with much of your post, but H.B. Blades? He may not be a proven veteran, but he practically IS our youth at the LB position, and maybe an eventual replacement for Fletcher down the road.

As is stands I haven't seen a reason to not keep him, especially seeing as it probably wouldn't cost too much...:2cents:

Seriously...HB Blades has yet to start a game at his natural position--MLB. I think he has performed OK in place of a guy like Washington at OLB. One thing this proves about him is that he is versitle and smart. There is NO way he gets cut. I too believe he is future at MLB once Fletch calls it quits or moves on from here (unlikely).

RB:

I THINK you might see a surprise here. If there was one place where there could be a surprise, this is it. I don't see the team keeping Betts and Rock. Portis is a lock. I think you might see them try and get a speed guy, somebody who can be explosive out of the back field, and cause a mis-match. I just get a feeling that this is going to be a position to watch.

FB/TE:

Cooley, Davis, Sellers are all back. Yoder = ? Davis needs to beat Yoder out in camp, and if he does, Yoder won't be back.

agree with everything you said, but wanted to touch on this point. I would be thrilled if we could grab CJ Spiller from Clemson. This guy is the most explosive RB I have seen since Reggie Bush at USC.

Of course, I am a tiger, so that is the homer in me. And he would most likely be a top 10 pick, which may be a bit high for us. But I can dream right?

I know, I know ... we need OL and DL. I just am amazed at some of the plays Spiller makes, I have been watching him shake and bake defenders right out of their cleats, and then burn down field.

But yeah, as much as I like Rock, Thrash, Jansen, Griffin, etc ... it is finally time to move on from them.

James Thrash (Solid special teamer, lots of drops, but is 34)

Philip Daniels (Can't stay healthy, will be 36 next year)

Todd Collins (Will be 38 next year)

Jon Jansen (Liability in pass protection, will be 32 next year)

Shawn Springs (Can't stay healthy, will be 34)

Jason Taylor (Fraction of waht he used to be, will be 35)

Marcus Washington (Can't stay healthy, will be 31)

Pete Kendall (bad knees, will be 36)

That was a easy poll

James Thrash (Solid special teamer, lots of drops, but is 34)

Philip Daniels (Can't stay healthy, will be 36 next year)

Todd Collins (Will be 38 next year)

Jon Jansen (Liability in pass protection, will be 32 next year)

Shawn Springs (Can't stay healthy, will be 34)

Jason Taylor (Fraction of waht he used to be, will be 35)

Marcus Washington (Can't stay healthy, will be 31)

Pete Kendall (bad knees, will be 36)

That was a easy poll

Pete Kendall has bad knees but he's able to play, and play well, at Guard. I remember when the Skins cut Schlereth from the OL because of bad knees and he continued his stellar career with the Broncos. Kendall's tenure depends upon his new contract figures and whether there's another Guard on the roster able to step up and replace him. We don't know yet about Rinehart. IMO Rinehart's skill set (as described by Bugel) makes him a great fit at RG. I don't think Thomas has been performing well either so it's possible that Rinehart could be looked at for that position. Caveat - I'm not sure Bugel is capable of entirely revamping his OL - he's bonded too much with the guys.

Archived