Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who gets cut in the offseason?

EvoSkins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I know there are 4 games left and the Skins have to run the table to get a chance at the playoffs.

But, we ahve seen pretty much everything the current roster can give the team. I know the Skins can't release a lot of guys in fear of salary cap ramifications, but who stays and who goes?

The Skins need desparately to get younger and get rid of underperforming veterans.

Not sure what all the cap implications are, but this is who I would cut or not re-sign:

Jason Taylor, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Kedric Golston, H.B. Blades, Jon Jansen, Pete Kendall, Casey Rabach, Randle El, James Thrash, Shaun Suisham, Ryan Plackemeier.

Not sure what all the cap implications are, but this is who I would cut or not re-sign:

Jason Taylor, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Kedric Golston, H.B. Blades, Jon Jansen, Pete Kendall, Casey Rabach, Randle El, James Thrash, Shaun Suisham, Ryan Plackemeier.

Okay, I have a simple question for you...

Why? Why get rid of Golston AND Griffin?

Why get rid of HB Blades?

Why get rid of two receivers?

Why get rid of Ryan Plackemeier?

Griffin is done (has been for 2 years now) and Golston has given us very little. Montgomery is a keeper. Need an upgrade next to him.

Why get rid of HB Blades? Sucks as a back up linebacker. He's a special teamer, but you gotta step up when called upon when someone goes down. He's been non-existent on defense.

Why get rid of two receivers? Didn't we just draft two in the 2nd round? Randle El - horrible underacheiver. Thrash -old, slow and used up.

Why get rid of Ryan Plackemeier? Not much of an upgrade over Frost. Can't seem to figure out that you're not supposed to punt it into the endzone.

Griffin is done (has been for 2 years now) and Golston has given us very little. Montgomery is a keeper. Need an upgrade next to him.

Why get rid of HB Blades? Sucks as a back up linebacker. He's a special teamer, but you gotta step up when called upon when someone goes down. He's been non-existent on defense.

Why get rid of two receivers? Didn't we just draft two in the 2nd round? Randle El - horrible underacheiver. Thrash -old, slow and used up.

Why get rid of Ryan Plackemeier? Not much of an upgrade over Frost. Can't seem to figure out that you're not supposed to punt it into the endzone.

I agree that Griffin is done. Golston, however, is a serviceable rotational guy. As is Lorenzo Alexander.

HB Blades has been decent for us as a reserve backer. I don't know where you get the notion that he's done nothing.

Yes, we drafted two receivers. And now, when we get rid of two, we're stuck with three total receivers. Not a good move. Now we're looking to sign/draft MORE receivers. Just what we need when we need to upgrade the lines, right?

Plackemeier has done a good job for us. He's been much better than Frost AND Brooks. Not sure where this came from either.

I agree with much of your post, but H.B. Blades? He may not be a proven veteran, but he practically IS our youth at the LB position, and maybe an eventual replacement for Fletcher down the road.

As is stands I haven't seen a reason to not keep him, especially seeing as it probably wouldn't cost too much...:2cents:

I voted for Collins and Jansen.

Jansen I think is the obvious one. I think Collins will get cut and we'll grab another vet QB to either play backup for compete with Colt for it in the offseason.

I think the team will keep Marcus Washington. Although he's injured a lot he's very valuable when he's healthy, he can stop the run, is good in coverage and is a great pass-rusher.

I think they will keep Jason Taylor. Especially if we can get a DT that will collapse the pocket, we'll really see that he's not as ineffective as he seems this year.

If they cut Springs it will be strictly for financial reasons. He makes plays when he's out there but he is injured ALL the time. One big reason I see him staying is that he's valuable in that he can be moved to safey and can cover the inside receiver/bigger receivers.

Kendall may get cut, but he's been very productive this year. One of the few bright spots on the OL. I could see Chad Rhinehart taking his spot at guard though.

I like Thrash on special teams and he's all heart but I honestly would rather see Kelly/Thomas get the #2/3 receiver role. It's time to get younger on offense and this is a major step IMO.

Not sure about Daniels, he's valuable in run support but we have like 100 DEs on the roster already.

This off season is going to be interesting. Keeping our current roster is going to cost us an extra 12 million dollars next year (the numbers for ARE, Carter, Landry more than double and Samuels, Smoot, and Moss come close), and in addition to that is the 5.5 million of dead cap from Lloyd.

Maybe somebody w/ more knowledge on this can help, but ARE signed a 6 year deal w/ a 10 million dollar bonus so that means a 3.33 million hit (which can be put off a year) and Carter signed something similar so cutting those two guys means over 6 million in dead space, which can be stretched over the next two years.

Keeping them is essentially unrealistic (at over $6 million next year) w/o a renegotiation.

Thrash, Jansen, Springs, Washington will be gone.

Question is, can we afford to cut Jansen due to cap ramifications? Anybody know the hit?

Springs' money will go to Hall. I love Marcus, but he's had to withstand too many injuries. Nobody has more heart than Thrash, but the talent just isn't there.

OMG...your signature is really distracting me at work! Is that Alba??? :laugh:

and who is that in the red shorts???

....jeez, anyway, back to the discussion!

ARE...I love this guy, but he's taking up too much space and isn't producing enough to be honest...he's a stellar player who really has made his home with the Skins...but safe to say he's gone!

James Thrash...did anyone see that drop vs the Giants...uggh, I've NEVER called him by his nickname (James Trash!) until last sunday....yea, he's outta here!

....I honestly think we shouldve kept Marcus Mason but hey...he's old news right?

I agree that Griffin is done. Golston, however, is a serviceable rotational guy. As is Lorenzo Alexander.

HB Blades has been decent for us as a reserve backer. I don't know where you get the notion that he's done nothing.

Yes, we drafted two receivers. And now, when we get rid of two, we're stuck with three total receivers. Not a good move. Now we're looking to sign/draft MORE receivers. Just what we need when we need to upgrade the lines, right?

Plackemeier has done a good job for us. He's been much better than Frost AND Brooks. Not sure where this came from either.

We need more than "serviceable" guys on the D-line. We quite possibly have the worst D-line in the NFL and it needs to be blown up. We need a starting DE to replace Taylor and a starting DT to replace Golston. I like Alexander a lot more than Golston, but he's just a backup.

We have to stop settling for mediocrity. If it means having a couple of really lean seasons, then so be it. This roster needs a major overhaul and it's not going to get done in a single offseason.

Oh, by the way, Plackemeier has one of the worst net punting averages in the league at 31.8 yards. He's ranked 36th. And we have good, solid punt and kickoff coverage teams. The guy can't keep it out of the end zone.

Why get rid of HB Blades?

Why get rid of two receivers?

Because we're all angry and want to see heads roll.

I think who goes will be a function of who's in.

D-Line:

They NEED help at DT. So if they bring in 2 DTs, then probably 2 DTs go.

I don't think you're going to see anything done with the DEs. That might make people mad, but you can't address everything at once.

LB:

They need help at LB, Washington probably won't be back, but they have to find a replacement. HB Blades is fine for a depth LB, but I wouldn't expect more of him. McIntosh and Fletcher are locks, the other side is a question.

Secondary:

Landry, Horton, Smoot and Rogers are all back.

Hall is a question mark. Do they sign him long term? He's playing well, it seems, so that migth be an option.

Springs is also a question mark. He's going to be expensive and is oft injurred, so unless he restructures, I think he's gone.

The others, I don't know.

QB:

Much to the dismay of many, it will be the same 3.

WR:

I don't expect anything to change at all on the WR front. The hope is that Kelly/Thomas will step up and take the spots of ARE and Thrash, which puts them both as backups or in AREs case, slot, gadget guy, etc. I'm fine with that.

O-Line:

Samuels will be healthy, he's back.

Kendall, I think, is a FA, so they would need to re-sign him. Which they should. Maybe it's an open competition, maybe not, but he's been solid. Guard play hasn't been the problem.

Rabach should not be the starter next year, so he is either gone or a backup.

Thomas will be back, and he's fine if healthy.

Jansen, I think is gone. They will draft/pick up another OT, and Heyer and that person will compete for the RT job.

RB:

I THINK you might see a surprise here. If there was one place where there could be a surprise, this is it. I don't see the team keeping Betts and Rock. Portis is a lock. I think you might see them try and get a speed guy, somebody who can be explosive out of the back field, and cause a mis-match. I just get a feeling that this is going to be a position to watch.

FB/TE:

Cooley, Davis, Sellers are all back. Yoder = ? Davis needs to beat Yoder out in camp, and if he does, Yoder won't be back.

I think cutting Jansen is a good first step. The guy has never recovered from his injury. That alone should clear alot of cap space.

I really think we shoud keep Springs though. Yes he's injury prone but you are not gonna find someone with that talent to replace him. Yes we brought in Hall but you need at least 3 good corners. And Smoot is just not cutting it anymore.

I think cutting Jansen is a good first step. The guy has never recovered from his injury. That alone should clear alot of cap space.

I really think we shoud keep Springs though. Yes he's injury prone but you are not gonna find someone with that talent to replace him. Yes we brought in Hall but you need at least 3 good corners. And Smoot is just not cutting it anymore.

Jansen is only just over $3 million to the cap. With the restructuring he's done through the years, it might actually be cheaper to keep him then cut him (his base salary this year was under a million, but his signing bonus money was over 2 million; I don't know over how many years that's been prorated, but if it's 2 million over even two more years it is going to cost 4 million to cut him).

My opinion is Washington, Springs, Jansen, Collins and Yoder all go.

Bring in some competition for Plack and Mr Short FG.

I think you have to keep Taylor, he looked good against the Giants, his first game back healthy. Plus, if we (as we should) bring in one or two DT's, Taylor will be a good influence.

Sorry, nothing presonel against Joe Bugel, but I think that he needs to retire.

As was said by others, Springs money goes to Hall.

And we either move J. Taylor to LB or sign a FA.

And just maybe we get lucky and find a good WCO QB. Maybe not to replace JC, but give him some competition.

Because even the girls from the Punt pass & kick competition can kick it farther than he can!

He ranks 35 of 36 in net punting yards-- behind both Frost and Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&statisticPositionCategory=PUNTER&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PUNTING_NET_AVERAGE&d-447263-n=1

Archived