Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This play tells it all!

scstand

3-6-WAS 36 (13:44) (Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 40 for 4 yards (21-K.Phillips).

On this play opening drive Moss is lined up left and runs what looks to be a double move, either way he is a decoy taking his man deep. To the right we had Cooley,Thrash,ARE bunched with Kelly top side running his man off with what looked to be a double move (decoy) ARE cleared to the right flat about 4-5 yards downfield (decoy) Thrash ran an in route 4 yards downfield and Cooley ran a beutiful seam about 8-10 yards downfield past the LB and before the safety.....

Outcome...JC does not make the right read which should of been Cooley. With the Giants setup this way at the start of the play (Cheating Inside) his natural progression should of been Cooley since it was the perfect route for that defense.

JC appears to hurry checks it down to the jumped route to Thrash for a pick up of four we are two short and punt.

JC also showed no athletic ability on the 2 and 10 play he tried a two yard slant to Kelly. Snap from center JC locks on throws late and what would of been a 5 yard gain brings up 3rd down. That throw needs to come out on the 3rd step not back pedal from center.(play looked very awkward)

I could go on with play by play critique but it is always the same issues.

JC not making right reads

O-Line need to hold there pass blocks for another second

WR not running correct routes

Zorn's playcalling (Which is limited due to the first 3 above.)

This is a never ending revolving door that starts with the QB, it does on 31 other teams anyway.

I don't have an agenda for anyone in particular that plays the position of starting Quarterback for our beloved Washington Redskins; however, I do take an equal interest in the advancement of this team and will critique equally no matter who is at the helm.

Campbell didn't do too well, but the receivers didn't help Campbell MUCH either

Like Thrash dropping a wide open ball for a first, and Kelly not catching that bomb that hit him in the chest. Ect.

I was dissapointed with the passing behind the first down marker 3-4 times straight on 3rd downs.

Look, first IMO this team shouldn't be where they are anyway. I didn't expect this team to compete this season and they are.

For whatever reason, we are getting worse as the season progresses and not better.

The west coast offense is from what I've heard a very difficult system to learn. JC may have run it in college, however, we all know even though we don't play that college and the pros are much different.

I expect JC to learn more this season, and by next season with a few tweaks on O and D for us to be real contenders.

I would be really surprised if we made it into the playoffs or even pass the 1st round if we are so lucky.

3-6-WAS 36 (13:44) (Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 40 for 4 yards (21-K.Phillips).

On this play opening drive Moss is lined up left and runs what looks to be a double move, either way he is a decoy taking his man deep. To the right we had Cooley,Thrash,ARE bunched with Kelly top side running his man off with what looked to be a double move (decoy) ARE cleared to the right flat about 4-5 yards downfield (decoy) Thrash ran an in route 4 yards downfield and Cooley ran a beutiful seam about 8-10 yards downfield past the LB and before the safety.....

Outcome...JC does not make the right read which should of been Cooley. With the Giants setup this way at the start of the play (Cheating Inside) his natural progression should of been Cooley since it was the perfect route for that defense.

JC appears to hurry checks it down to the jumped route to Thrash for a pick up of four we are two short and punt.

JC also showed no athletic ability on the 2 and 10 play he tried a two yard slant to Kelly. Snap from center JC locks on throws late and what would of been a 5 yard gain brings up 3rd down. That throw needs to come out on the 3rd step not back pedal from center.(play looked very awkward)

This is a never ending revolving door that starts with the QB, it does on 31 other teams anyway.

I don't have an agenda for anyone in particular that plays the position of starting Quarterback for our beloved Washington Redskins; however, I do take an equal interest in the advancement of this team and will critique equally no matter who is at the helm.

EXCELLENTLY validated post. :applause:

When the same continued, BASIC mistakes continue to happen form what should be the leader of your team, there comes a time when the excuses for him have to stop.

Hail.

For whatever reason, we are getting worse as the season progresses and not better.

I don't know if we are actually getting worse. More like we aren't taking any teams by surprise anymore and we have to out-execute the other team. Considering that even when we were winning that our execution wasn't all that great...

Our offense sucks, period, and it's not the fault of an individual. Unfortunately for ES readers, the QB gets all the credit and all the blame, so that's what every other thread is about. Blame should be doled out to JC for making lousy reads, the OL for being incompetent, the receivers for not being able to hold on to the ball, and Zorn for his questionable playcalling. It stands to reason that you would start from the line up, and that's likely what we will do this offseason.

I don't know if we are actually getting worse. More like we aren't taking any teams by surprise anymore and we have to out-execute the other team. Considering that even when we were winning that our execution wasn't all that great...

Early in the season when Campbell had a few good games teams didn't have much film to look at. AS the season has progressed teams have been game planning for Campbell and he has yet to catch up to what the defenses are doing out there. In short Campbell is not an NFL QB the sooner the Redskins figure that out and make plans the better off we will be as a franchise

Going by your reasoning the Giants would've gotten rid of Eli last year well before the playoffs. Jason has all the tools and is learning a new offense. He isn't the only one on our team struggling.

Also, IMO the problems on our team start and end with the lines.

On offense, we can't block anyone. I saw at least three plays where Giants were coming unblocked that ran right by offensive lineman who were looking around for someone to block.

On defense, we have zero pass rush. Any sacks seem to come from the db's locking up for extended periods of time. You can't expect them to do that for the whole game.

Yup, and you could see it in the failure to down punts and the disorganization of the D at several points in the second half... esp. in plays coming off the break. You could see the big play about to happen because no one was lined up opposite a receiver or people were constantly being redirected. And getting a 12 man call coming off a change of possession? There's something wrong with their concentration.

Im sorry, but did you see coaches film or something? I find it hard to believe that each one of these aspects you speak of were observable (tv wise) on the one play. I think you may just be spitting up stuff to make it sound like legit blame where blame isn't due. JC is fine. It is the recievers dropping balls, not running correct routes..

Im sorry, but did you see coaches film or something? I find it hard to believe that each one of these aspects you speak of were observable (tv wise) on the one play. I think you may just be spitting up stuff to make it sound like legit blame where blame isn't due. JC is fine. It is the recievers dropping balls, not running correct routes..

Actually he is spot on with his observation...

EXCELLENTLY validated post. :applause:

When the same continued, BASIC mistakes continue to happen form what should be the leader of your team, there comes a time when the excuses for him have to stop.

Hail.

Yeah because every other QB in their first year in the West Coast offense are perfect. :rolleyes:

Campbell didn't do too well, but the receivers didn't help Campbell MUCH either

Like Thrash dropping a wide open ball for a first, and Kelly not catching that bomb that hit him in the chest. Ect.

I was dissapointed with the passing behind the first down marker 3-4 times straight on 3rd downs.

On the passes short of the first down....Manning did the same thing often, only difference is, because you have to respect their deep passing game, they usually have enough room to get the first down AFTER the catch.

Until further notice, I blame the inconsistent OL.

There is just no way Campbell can have confidence behind that line. Rypien was a random scrub QB but he was an MVP behind a great OL with a top possession receiver, a quality back and a deep threat or 2.

Just like Sheli is now for the Giants. He isn't a good QB, but his team does enough around him to make him look good when he is given the chance.

Yeah because every other QB in their first year in the West Coast offense are perfect. :rolleyes:

If only it were just the first year in a West Coast type scheme.

Sadly, the same mistakes keep occurring during a four year pro career through 3 different schemes. And were not talking about not knowing the playbook. Were talking about the continued propensity to not identify open receivers, not go through progressions, locking onto the easy ones on underneath passes, and the one BASIC thing NO pro QB, let alone a 4 year vet, can afford to do in this league, hold onto the darn ball WAY too long before he's panicked into releasing it.

But hey, we can still bury our heads in the sand and find excuses to explain everything away. :doh:

Hail.

I blame the Offensive line quite often.

But more often then not i start with a

throw it...

throw it.......

omg throw the ball...

A number of other quotes that are spot on that I could pull from this thread here, too, including the OP. Campbell just isn't seeing the field. Oh, he does it here and there, just enough to tantalize you. Yesterday was a clear indicator of the difference between a QB in command of his game and one that just doesn't have confidence. Manning trusts what he and his team are doing and Campbell doesn't. Manning will throw to spots and well-covered receivers, trusting them to make the play and Campbell won't do it.

Definitely, the OL and receivers could do a better job helping him out - it certainly isn't all on Campbell. But it has to start with Campbell. He just holds the ball too long. It's seems to me that he is so worried about making a mistake and being perfect that he gets a form of paralysis by analysis.

One play that sticks out in my mind is a play from early in the fourth. It was the play where Tuck sacked him coming up the middle. Campbell completed his drop and just stood there and bounced around for what seemed like an eternity (Tuck got to him in 3 seconds, more than enough time to get rid of the ball). Pass plays are designed for the QB to release the ball almost immediately after the completion of the drop - the QB is not supposed to just stay in his drop zone and hold the ball indefinitely. But Campbell does this repeatedly - it just seems that he doesn't trust some combination of his receivers, the pass routes being called, his reading of the defense, and throwing to a spot. That, to me, is the crux of the issue.

Now, maybe the receivers are blowing their routes and reads (repeatedly) and/or they aren't getting open (which can be tough to do when it seems everything is a short route). Maybe the opposition is completely on to Zorn and Zorn is just not adjusting. Maybe, with another offseason of work, Campbell will demonstrate a quantum leap in his knowledge and trust in the offense, and thus his confidence.

I don't know if Campbell is "The Man" or not. I do know that the crux of the team's problem right now is the inability to score points, and the reason for this is an almost complete lack of production from the passing game. I think that, with Moss and Cooley and the other receivers, that the Redskins have as much capability with their receivers as some other teams that get more out of their passing attacks (not saying it's great, but good enough to be more productive). It seems that, given a QB that can release the ball on time, that the OL generally does a good enough job in pass protection (sufficient, not excellent).

What I am unsure about is Zorn's (and his coaches) ability to design a consistently effective passing attack, to consistently call effective plays, and to effectively adjust when opposing DCs inevitably take something away that he wants to do (like Gilbride did yesterday when Blache took the run away from the Giants). However, I also think that, while important, all of that stuff is less important than execution.

Which brings us to Campbell. I am having serious doubts as to his ability to reliably and consistently execute an offense. He certainly has flashes where you think "Oh, yeah, this guy has some game". But he hasn't demonstrated the ability to lift the level of play of his offense with any degree of consistency. Yeah, when the running game is going and he gets into a groove he looks pretty good. Lots of guys can do that, though. What about when the running game is dormant and the team is struggling? Can he lift the team on his shoulders and make the plays that win games? Because that's what separates the cream of the crop from those that are merely average. You don't stake the long-term future of the franchise to a guy that is merely average. I'd like to say with confidence that, with time, Campbell will develop into that kind of QB. I'm just not seeing it, though. I want him to. I'm not saying he has to be cast aside immediately. But there is no way that, at this point, he goes into next season as the unquestioned starter. Likely starter? Perhaps. I think there has to be element of competition, though.

I don't think it was any coincidence that the offense caught fire when Collins came in for Campbell last season (not advocating it now, it's just an observation). It's amazing the difference that a QB that gets rid of the ball on time and plays with confidence can do for an offense. There is not only the effect it has on the offense, but what it does to the opposing defense, too. It loosens the defense up and makes it less aggressive, more unsure of itself, which makes it more mistake-prone. It's a domino effect.

and the one BASIC thing NO pro QB, let alone a 4 year vet, can afford to do in this league, hold onto the darn ball WAY too long before he's panicked into releasing it.

Yep. It's almost impossible to throw the ball too early, provided the QB has completed his drop. When that plant foot hits, that ball should be coming out. How many times this season have we seen Campbell double-clutch on a 3-step drop? Yet, when he gets sacked, people blame the OL. Obviously, he can't make a throw that can be picked, but he has to get rid of the ball and put it in a safe spot.

On that sack by Tuck that I described in my previous post, an upper echelon QB would not have even been touched. He had plenty of time to get rid of the ball, but he wouldn't pull the trigger.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it would have been talking about the play in the 2nd half when you can clearly hear the Giants defense yelling, "SCREEEN, SCREEN, SCREEEN.." and we proceed to try and run the play to nearly horrible results.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it would have been talking about the play in the 2nd half when you can clearly hear the Giants defense yelling, "SCREEEN, SCREEN, SCREEEN.." and we proceed to try and run the play to nearly horrible results.

This play stuck out to me also. I was literally screaming at the TV. It was awful.

Archived