Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This play tells it all!

scstand

I simply picked a play from the first series due to a number of reasons but this drive could of been a game setter. Emotions from the ST inductions were running high still, we had good field position, we had the right play called to move the chains, we had ample pass protection.

I haven't finished going through all the film which I do have limited access and have made this known in some of my other post regarding the same issue. I took a GM and Scouting course through Sports Management worldwide in hopes of finding a career that involved football and part of the class was reviewing coaching film which includes multiple NFL and College games.

However, I was able to see what I had originally posted with my 50" TV live as it happened and then simply rewound and viewed frame by frame. That 3rd down conversion which would of moved the ball to midfield was checked down due to a bad read stopped the drive and forced a punt. It is telling of the same issues week after week. Lots of plays can change a game but if the fundamentals of reading a defense are not grasped followed by all the other excuses we as fans tend to pile on top the root of the issue can never truly be dealt with.

3-6-WAS 36 (13:44) (Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 40 for 4 yards (21-K.Phillips).

On this play opening drive Moss is lined up left and runs what looks to be a double move, either way he is a decoy taking his man deep. To the right we had Cooley,Thrash,ARE bunched with Kelly top side running his man off with what looked to be a double move (decoy) ARE cleared to the right flat about 4-5 yards downfield (decoy) Thrash ran an in route 4 yards downfield and Cooley ran a beutiful seam about 8-10 yards downfield past the LB and before the safety.....

Outcome...JC does not make the right read which should of been Cooley. With the Giants setup this way at the start of the play (Cheating Inside) his natural progression should of been Cooley since it was the perfect route for that defense.

JC appears to hurry checks it down to the jumped route to Thrash for a pick up of four we are two short and punt.

JC also showed no athletic ability on the 2 and 10 play he tried a two yard slant to Kelly. Snap from center JC locks on throws late and what would of been a 5 yard gain brings up 3rd down. That throw needs to come out on the 3rd step not back pedal from center.(play looked very awkward)

I could go on with play by play critique but it is always the same issues.

JC not making right reads

O-Line need to hold there pass blocks for another second

WR not running correct routes

Zorn's playcalling (Which is limited due to the first 3 above.)

This is a never ending revolving door that starts with the QB, it does on 31 other teams anyway.

I don't have an agenda for anyone in particular that plays the position of starting Quarterback for our beloved Washington Redskins; however, I do take an equal interest in the advancement of this team and will critique equally no matter who is at the helm.

Great analysis; thanks

It is telling of the same issues week after week.

Man, it would be cool to be able to study game film. Without looking at it, we're all just kinda guessing.

So, from what you've seen, is it that Campbell is making bad reads or that he's just not trusting his reads?

Campbell didn't do too well, but the receivers didn't help Campbell MUCH either

Like Thrash dropping a wide open ball for a first, and Kelly not catching that bomb that hit him in the chest. Ect.

I was dissapointed with the passing behind the first down marker 3-4 times straight on 3rd downs.

Please give Moss his credit due for dropped passes; This is not isolated to

yesterday. We need big bodies with hands.

JC not making right reads

O-Line need to hold their pass blocks for another second

WR not running correct routes

Zorn's playcalling (Which is limited due to the first 3 above.)

This is a never ending revolving door that starts with the QB, it does on 31 other teams anyway.

Sorry, I'd reverse 1 and 2. For all 32 teams in the league, the better the OL, the better the QB looks. The better the OL, the better the running game. JC has to hurry his reads because if he takes a normal progression, he gets hammered, which is just as big a no-no as making the wrong reads.

It all starts with the OL. The running game, timing, letting the WR's complete their patterns, keeping opposing linemen out of the pocket all depend on an OL that can take out the man they're assigned or assist in blocking LB's downfield. When was the last time we saw one of our linemen suucessfully block anyone not on the LOS?

Our OL can beat a middle of the road defense. When forced to stand up to better defenses (e.g. Giants, Cowboys, Pittsburgh) we are woefully inadequate. We may make it to the playoffs. But we're not going much further.

Zorn's playcalling is limited because he knows our line can't get it done. He's already said he can't call a 7 step drop because we can't protect the QB on a 3 step drop.

It is all about the OL. But most fans, Vinny and Dan do not know it or are willingly ignorant.

Archived