Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Civics Quiz

Seabee1973

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams.

Pretty interesting quiz i thought to test your knowledge I only scored a 72 percant

Post your percentage and honestly.

To take the quiz click the link

94%

(And I think one of their questions is wrong. The correct answer for #9 is "All of the above". A is the only power which belongs exclusively to the federal government.)

(And I'll admit to taking a WAG on at least one, and a few educated guesses.)

I coulda used another cup of coffee first.

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.8%

Average score: 77.8%

Jumbo ,perhaps college educators tend to allow bias to influence their choices and choose what they feel it should be?

I do agree their score seems off though.

O f course I think many of them are a bit off;)

I'm awesome:

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.8%

Average score: 77.8%

Aside from the economy/business questions, I get the feeling most late high schoolers/early college students would do the best on this, as referenced here.

College educators getting 55%, I highly doubt that.

Also, yes, the questions were hard because they were misleading and tricky. Still, it makes me feel better that the average is 77% or so, not the 49% they mention. However, I do know some people in my law school who would not do as well. We'd get all the legal related questions, but the history and economics ones, not soo much.

So either we're collectively VERY smart or this study of "average adults" is a bogus line of crap to fit with "we hate ourselves" title of the page. ("Our Fading Heritage.. Americans fail a basic test on history and their institutions" )

Ten of us have posted scores, and they average out to 95. NINETY FIVE!

SO, either a bunch of dopes scored low and didn't post their scores in this thread, or we're literally twice as smart as the national average, and nearly twice as smart as college educators. I'm with Jumbo, and I call shenanigans on their numbers.

It's a good quiz, and it's not easy, but if we're THAT much higher, Barack needs to be looking in here for his cabinet, or we should start to put our heads together on how to solve the energy crisis. Going by the scores, we geniuses should have it figured out in a couple of days.

~Bang

"You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %"

Seems to put me right at home here. It just wasn't that hard of a test for anyone with a basic knowledge of U.S. History. I'm pretty sure the ones I missed the most of were the economic theory questions.

I agree with whoever said this is hardly a civics test. No questions about eligibility to vote or to serve in the military, and only superficial questions about the structure of the government and personal rights.

So either we're collectively VERY smart or this study of "average adults" is a bogus line of crap to fit with "we hate ourselves" title of the page. ("Our Fading Heritage.. Americans fail a basic test on history and their institutions" )

Ten of us have posted scores, and they average out to 95. NINETY FIVE!

SO, either a bunch of dopes scored low and didn't post their scores in this thread, or we're literally twice as smart as the national average, and nearly twice as smart as college educators. I'm with Jumbo, and I call shenanigans on their numbers.

It's a good quiz, and it's not easy, but if we're THAT much higher, Barack needs to be looking in here for his cabinet, or we should start to put our heads together on how to solve the energy crisis. Going by the scores, we geniuses should have it figured out in a couple of days.

~Bang

The fact we are online and spend our time on such pursuits unfortunately puts most above average.

I do think your math is a bit off though,unless you are talking percentile.;)

btw I solved the domestic energy crisis long ago,still working on the worlds.:bow:

The fact we are online and spend our time on such pursuits unfortunately puts most above average.

I do think your math is a bit off though,unless you are talking percentile.;)

btw I solved the domestic energy crisis long ago,still working on the worlds.:bow:

Well, I took thye first ten scores and rounded up the decimals where appropriate, and the total of the first ten scores posted was 957.. so in rounding up, I guess you're right, I'm slightly off and that would put us at 96%

Above average I can buy. Twice the average is hard to swallow.

Although it is good for the ego :)

~Bang

I should have had 32 of 33, but I was having a conversation at the same time and made a couple of stupid mistakes (like not clicking the answer I meant to click :doh:).

Overall, it wasn't too bad, although it was more difficult than I was expecting. And like others have said, their numbers just don't seem to be on the level; it wasn't that difficult of a test.

I should have had 32 of 33, but I was having a conversation at the same time and made a couple of stupid mistakes (like not clicking the answer I meant to click :doh:).

Overall, it wasn't too bad, although it was more difficult than I was expecting. And like others have said, their numbers just don't seem to be on the level; it wasn't that difficult of a test.

I almost had 32 as well. I got the first one wrong. I put Life, Liberty, and Property. I knew both were phrases used by our founding fathers, but I couldn't remember which one they settled on for the document.

Well, I took thye first ten scores and rounded up the decimals where appropriate, and the total of the first ten scores posted was 957.. so in rounding up, I guess you're right, I'm slightly off and that would put us at 96%

Above average I can buy. Twice the average is hard to swallow.

Although it is good for the ego :)

~Bang

I spend roughly 1/4 of my professional time around university and grad school teachers and no way are their numbers of "55%" for college educators reflective of reality if this test is representative of what they gave when aquiring those numbers. It's obviously nonsense as even simple sense should insist after talking the test.

And I have long compared tailgate conversations on various topics to those held in other circles. Which is among the reasons that, while frequently appreciating the actual number of very capable, informed, and brght posters we have, I find the popular projection of the tailgate as an unusually intelligent assembly is a tad overblown in the same sense that projections of Redskins fans being smarter than other fans is met with askance after objectively viewing the work presented in the stadium. :D

Just a reminder of the graciousness of humility. :silly:

Archived