Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Been drinking a ton of pumpkin beers lately. So far, Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale is my favorite.

Flying Dog Fear is pretty solid too.

One that surprised me a bit was Shocktop's Pumpkin Ale. I'm not a big Shocktop fan, but it had a nice pumpkin flavor to it.

Bought some Sam Adam's Fat Jack to try this weekend. I'm hoping its really good, but I've heard mixed reviews so far.

where did you find The Fear and Fat Jack? Let me know how Fat Jack is. I already know The Fear kicks ass

where did you find The Fear and Fat Jack? Let me know how Fat Jack is. I already know The Fear kicks ass

Just the local liquor stores around here. Took awhile to find Fat Jack though. One of the local liquor stores is stocked with pumpkin beers right so we're becoming best friends lol.

If you go to the Sam Adams website you can actually type in your zip code and it will tell you what places around you have it.

Tomorrow I'm doing a video review on my aged Loose Cannon alongside a fresh one. It actually expired in July of 2011 :ols:. Probably been in this bottle for 2 years. Hope I don't die. Have the aged Midas Touch video review on my phone as well. Will try to get both on youtube this week.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Tomorrow I'm doing a video review on my aged Loose Cannon alongside a fresh one. It actually expired in July of 2011 :ols:. Probably been in this bottle for 2 years. Hope I don't die. Have the aged Midas Touch video review on my phone as well. Will try to get both on youtube this week.

I think that an aged Loose Cannon will suck. A lot.

I think that an aged Loose Cannon will suck. A lot.

That it SHOULD. But hey, it took a lot not to drink that puppy when it was still fresh. I'm excited no matter what. If it's bad, then I'll tell you just how bad. I have a share of hoppy beers in my stash. Oldest one is a Flying Dog Raging ***** Belgian IPA. Will be having that this time next year, when it's 3. :paranoid: Weird, that beer still has no sediment floating around in it, and it's older than the Loose Cannon - which is a snowglobe.

I'm having a fresh Loose Cannon right now. I tell ya, I still think this flavor is very distinct. If you made me drink 20 random IPAs I'd be able to identify the LC.

My buddy brought some Fear for tailgating before the game on Sunday. He got it at Total Wine. I gotta head over there soon to get my own sixer. So, that would be a good bet if you have one in your area.

My buddy brought some Fear for tailgating before the game on Sunday. He got it at Total Wine. I gotta head over there soon to get my own sixer. So, that would be a good bet if you have one in your area.

yea that's where i got the fear last time. I don't know if they have fat jack over there though

Port City Porter

Punch of coffee and roasted malt, with a slick touch of dark chocolate backing it up. Caramel is in the background, gotta concentrate to find the dark fruits. Body is oily, but I can really swig this stuff relative to other Porters. Think it will be an absolute monster with some age. Fresh, it's just a scrumptious beer to gulp.

port-city-porter.jpg

10 states that sell the most beer are surprising

3:55PM EDT October 11. 2012 - Beer consumption in the U.S. has fallen for the third straight year, according to a report by the Beer Institute, a lobbying group.

Since 2008, beer consumption has fallen as much as 11% in some states. Americans still, however, consume a massive amount of the foamy beverage — an estimated 6.3 billion gallons in 2011. Nationwide, 28.3 gallons of beer a year were consumed for every American of legal age.

Some states consume far less than others. In Connecticut, only 21.8 gallons were purchased per resident in 2011. In Utah, it was just 19.2 gallons. In three states, however, the Beer Institute estimates that more than 40 gallons of beer were consumed per person. Based on Beer Institute's report, 24/7 Wall St. identified the 10 states that drink the most beer.

10. Delaware

9. Nebraska

8. Texas

7. Vermont

6. Wisconsin

5. Nevada

4. South Dakota

3. Montana

2. North Dakota

1.New Hampshire

According to Jones, there is an even more important reason for residents to seek out some states to purchase beer: taxes. New Hampshire has the highest per capita alcohol consumption because "anyone who is driving through or lives on the border of New Hampshire will probably opt for the 5% or 6% savings, and just go into the state to buy their alcohol there," he said. As a result, it is common for New Hampshire liquor stores to be visited by residents of Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine.

Click on the link for the full article

10 states that sell the most beer are surprising

Some states consume far less than others. In Connecticut, only 21.8 gallons were purchased per resident in 2011. In Utah, it was just 19.2 gallons. In three states, however, the Beer Institute estimates that more than 40 gallons of beer were consumed per person.

40 gallons is my intake for February.

Just got back from Oktoberfest in Munich and drinking really good beer in Germany, Austria, and Czech Rep. Question: does anyone know where one can purchase any of the following: Hofbrau, Augustiner, Paulaner, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell?

That Paulaner Oktoberfest is still the best Marzen I've ever had. It's at Belby's in Rockville. Pilsner Urquell is at Twinbrook Deli in Rockville.

Just got back from Oktoberfest in Munich and drinking really good beer in Germany, Austria, and Czech Rep. Question: does anyone know where one can purchase any of the following: Hofbrau, Augustiner, Paulaner, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell?

You can find many of those at Wegmans actually, I work at one and our beer section is small but very diverse. I don't if they are even allowed to sell it in MD but if you go to one of the ones in VA I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for. The one here stocks the Hofbrau stuff, Paulaner sometimes, Hacker-Pschorr, Franziskaner, etc. I have yet to see Augustiner make an appearance which is a shame because I freaking love augustiner. I was sitting around at the beer garden directly across the street from theresienwiese where they serve a lot of Augustiner getting a nice mellow German buzz going earlier this summer. Good stuff.

Nice job on the review. I noticed you poured out the whole bottle of the aged one (sediment and all) and only part of the fresh one (no sediment). I always try to leave the sediment in the bottle. I know some people don;t. Just noticed a slight difference in the pour.

I noticed the same thing, when I picked up that bottle of 2011 The Greater Pumpkin from Heavy Seas a few weeks ago, the dude that sold me the bottle told me let it sit for a couple of days, to treat it like a baby and only pour 3/4's of the bottle into the glass. He also mentioned that Heavy Seas doesn't use the best of yeasts, and most of their beers get real funky with age. When I poured the Greater Pumpkin there was a little bit of cloudiness and a few chunks of yeast floating around, the bottom of the bottle was think and chunky with it. How much does the sediment change the beer?

Nice job on the review. I noticed you poured out the whole bottle of the aged one (sediment and all) and only part of the fresh one (no sediment). I always try to leave the sediment in the bottle. I know some people don;t. Just noticed a slight difference in the pour.

Thanks! With these aged beers I've just wanted to get every last drop. If that means I have to eat the last sip, then so be it :) The beer was good regardless.

---------- Post added October-13th-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

Nice. I'm surprised it was even drinkable. Also, like Sebowski stated, I was also surprised that you dumped the sediment into the glass. I betcha it would've tasted better without it. Cool review.

Thanks man! Next time I pull out a beer with a lot of sediment, I'll try taking everyone's advice and pour half of it first.

Thanks! With these aged beers I've just wanted to get every last drop. If that means I have to eat the last sip, then so be it :) The beer was good regardless.

I still have a 2007 Heavy Seas Below Decks that I'm going to try this winter.......along with a couple from 2010. I also have a Yule Tide, or two, from 2010.

As a lager drinking European, I enjoy the following "beers" (all lagers):

Peroni Nastro Azzuro (Italy)

Kronenbourg (France)

Warsteiner (Germany)

Ideally all draught, and cold as heck.

In bars and clubs over here in the North of England, cans of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager are commonplace, and usually only a £1 or so. Ideal.

As a lager drinking European, I enjoy the following "beers" (all lagers):

Peroni Nastro Azzuro (Italy)

Kronenbourg (France)

Warsteiner (Germany)

Ideally all draught, and cold as heck.

In bars and clubs over here in the North of England, cans of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager are commonplace, and usually only a £1 or so. Ideal.

I know Europeans have a low opinion of American beer (what with the large brands being utterly disgusting and basically undrinkable garbage) but as a lager fan have you ever tried Sam Adams? I would rate it as "decent" but it's probably the best we've got in large quantities.