Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Wife is out of town, I passed my Certified Ethical Hacker exam today, so I decided, in the words of Tom Haverford, to "Treat Yo Self!"

Got 4 six packs and a Pumpking from Perfect Pour:

Night Owl Pumpkin Ale - Elysian Brewing Company

Jacques Au Lantern - Evolution Craft Brewing Company

Fisherman's Imperial Pumpkin Stout - Cape Ann Brewing Company

The Fear Pumpkin Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

It is going to be a pumpkin, Orioles, Redskins, and Xbox filled weekend... I couldn't be happier. Evo makes an amazing porter, so I'm hoping for good things from their Jacques Au Lantern.

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

I need to try the Evolution Porter man, just haven't had a craving for porters or stouts lately. Fall hypnotizes me in to getting pumpkin ales and oktoberfests almost exclusively. It's been over a month since I've had an American Strong or DIPA, seems like every brewery comes out with several fall seasonals. Let me know how that Cape Ann is (and all the rest :)).

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Just made my first trip to Gillys. That place is awesome. Picked up my old friend Loose Cannon and a 4 pack of the dogfish head punkin ale.

Awesome man, good to know someone on here has been to Gillys also. Surprised you didn't create your own 6 pack. Every single time I go up there, I at least put together a mixed 4 pack. They even let you take bottles out of regular 6 packs if a beer you want is not on the single bottle rack (you have to bring the slighted 6 pack up to the table if you do that). The brewery Gillys really stocks up on that the other stores around here don't at all is Great Divide. I need to get up there ASAP and pick up the Hercules DIPA.

The best beer I've ever had is usually up there as well. Called Uerige Doppelsticke. Didn't like it's brother the Uerige Sticke, the purple labeled one is where it's at.

just got a sixer of this

http://www.lagunitas.com/images/beers_maximus_main_new.jpg

luganitas maximus IPA. i'm a hop head, and i approve of this beer.

I second this. Lagunitas makes some amazing hop heavy beers. Very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada. Them west coast hops...mmm.

As much as I liked the Maximus, regular Lagunitas IPA is one of my very favorite IPAs.

I second this. Lagunitas makes some amazing hop heavy beers. Very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada. Them west coast hops...mmm.

As much as I liked the Maximus, regular Lagunitas IPA is one of my very favorite IPAs.

i thought you'd approve. i got it cuz the my local store was out of the torpedo. i do like their regular IPA, lots of breweries tend to skimp on the hops these days with their IPAs, but they do a good job. i'm still a sucker for the extra hop kick.

i thought you'd approve. i got it cuz the my local store was out of the torpedo. i do like their regular IPA, lots of breweries tend to skimp on the hops these days with their IPAs, but they do a good job. i'm still a sucker for the extra hop kick.

Haven't had a Lagunitas beer that I didn't enjoy immensely. They are like 5 for 5 when it comes to A-grade beer.

Tonight, I finally got Mr. Popular, here we go:

sam-adams-oct.jpg

An extremely mellow mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation is medium and hardly noticeable at all. Very soft on the palate. Flavor is a splash of sugary caramel, not rich like the Dogtober or Paulaner, more candy-like. Lightly toasted bread and a note of wood round this beer out. Finish is quick. This beer is super easy on the palate. I'd place this beer comfortably above the Heavy Seas Marzen, and comfortably below the Dogtoberfest.

Good call, d0ublestr0ker0ll. I haven't tried all of the wide-range of stuff from Sam's. But I DO really dig the Octoberfest. I like it better than HS Marzen too - but still have to try Dogtoberfest....

Also, finally tried Brooklyn's Brown Ale. Had it on draft - really liked this beer. For brown-ale style fans - this is def worth a try.

Good call, d0ublestr0ker0ll. I haven't tried all of the wide-range of stuff from Sam's. But I DO really dig the Octoberfest. I like it better than HS Marzen too - but still have to try Dogtoberfest....

Also, finally tried Brooklyn's Brown Ale. Had it on draft - really liked this beer. For brown-ale style fans - this is def worth a try.

I'm on the lookout for the Brooklyn Brown Ale and the Kona Koko Brown Ale. Definitely haven't had enough brown ales in my life. I had the Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot a long time ago. It was very good, yet it's my least-favorite Lagunitas beer so far. :ols:

I picked up a 6 of Dogtoberfest and a bottle of Gordon Beirsch Marzen today for a versus match. I don't remember anything about the Gordon Biersch except that I really enjoyed it.

I'm having my second pack of Dogtoberfest this year. The first pack was left over from last year, really enjoyed it. THIS pack is fresh, and the strength of flavor is definitely underwhelming. Wow, age this stuff. Toast, dark fruit and caramel are all subtle. Have to concentrate to search for flavors. Definitely stashing at least one of these for next year.

Flying_Dog_Dogtoberfest_200.jpg

Also had the second Gordon Biersch Marzen of the year.

A lot like Heineken drowning-out a caramel/toast undertone. Loud flavor, specially those German malts. Haven't had a Heineken Dark in years, but couldn't help being reminded of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the Heineken Dark was maltier than this beer. Now I gotta find that stuff. GB Marzen isn't bad, because luckily I don't mind Heineken. It's gotten me by when the only other options were cornball light beers. You should pass on this unless you're running out of Marzen's to try.

03-30-03-300x400.jpg

Finally made a trip up to Gilly's - Rockville. Hit a homer. Here are the versus matches I'll be conducting:

Southern Tier Un*earthly DIPA vs. Great Divide Hercules DIPA

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale vs. Brooklyn Brown Ale

Schlafly Oktoberfest vs. Weyerbacher Autumnfest

Extremely pumped about the two DIPAs, haven't had either one. First match is tonight between the Octoberfests.

Here's one I just came across:

rocky_mountain_oyster_stout__ext.jpg

New beer is made from bull testicles

A US brewery which announced it was making beer out of bull testicles as an April Fool's Day stunt has now done it for real.

The Wynkoop Brewing Company, in Denver, Colorado, has named its creation Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout.

Head brewer Andy Brown said: "Yes, the beer was inspired by our April Fools spoof video this spring, in which we claimed to have released a beer made with bull testicles.

"When we sent out the press release and the video link last April, we heard from brewers and beer writers who thought the beer was for real and loved the idea.

"So we've turned our joke into a reality. We've been making ballsy beer for the past few years. And this is great proof of that."

Mr Brown described the beer as an "assertive foreign-style stout, slightly viscous, with a deep brown colour".

Schlafly Oktoberfest

Full flavor here, lead by HOPS. Earthy, piney hops. Woah, a few steps away from a Pale Ale I'd say. Toasty malt holds strong, but it's still playing second-fiddle. Body is about average for a Marzen. Hopped-up Marzen, recommend a 6 pack.

Beerbrownies3.jpg

Weyerbacher Autumnfest

Heavy in flavor: dark fruit, caramel, bread & grains. Blanketing effect makes flavor nice and rich, even if the body is a touch watery. Recommend a single bottle; tasty yes, for sure, but could get a tad mundane.

weyerbacher_autmn_fest.jpg

The final judgement is that while this matchup is very close, the Schlafly's flavor would stay interesting throughout a drinking session.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale vs. Brooklyn Brown Ale:

Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale

Tobacco dominates here, but roasted malt, caramel and nuts are all strong. It's like smoking a cigar with notes of a nut brown ale. This seems designed to enhance the flavor of a cigar. Very cool, smoking a classy cigar with this beer will be added to the bucket list.

4179370643_27e63089a4.jpg

Brooklyn Brown Ale

Bigtime roasted barley, with a heavy mixture of toast, dark fruit, nuts, caramel - and the hops add a nifty, nifty touch to this beer. Sheesh, so well-rounded.

brooklyn-brown.jpg

This is a tale of two Juggernauts, but a tobacco flavored beer would be a tad off-putting after a glass or two. For a cigar aficionado, go grab a 4 pack of the Sam Smith's. For those of us like beer by itself, or with food, the Brooklyn is where it's at. Brooklyn via all-around greatness.

Great Divide Hercules Imperial IPA vs. Southern Tier Un*earthly Imperial IPA

Great Divide Hercules:

Sticky pine resin up front, earthy, citrus on the back end. Caramel malt is forward, body is above average as well. Awesome DIPA, drinkability is high for how big a beer it is.

de_544_lg.jpg

Southern Tier Un*earthly

Pure earthy hops, massive caramel malt. Hop flavor is extreme, but the bitterness is about as low as it can go. Hop explosion without much bitterness. Perhaps the most full flavor I've ever had from any sort of IPA.

Southern+Tier+Unearthly+090926.jpg

The final judgement on this is that while The Great Divide stands above some incredible DIPAs, it also reminds me of a good share of them. The Un*earthly stands out from the rest, it will be easier to remember. If for some reason you wanted to drink a bunch of these in one session, you'd most likely want to go with the Hercules. The Un*earthly is where it's at if you want a special tasting session, which is what these beers are made for.

I'll take Unearthly via memorability.

Been drinking a ton of pumpkin beers lately. So far, Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale is my favorite.

Flying Dog Fear is pretty solid too.

One that surprised me a bit was Shocktop's Pumpkin Ale. I'm not a big Shocktop fan, but it had a nice pumpkin flavor to it.

Bought some Sam Adam's Fat Jack to try this weekend. I'm hoping its really good, but I've heard mixed reviews so far.