Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I've said it once, and i'll say it again, Firestone Walker makes some excellent beers, their Union Jack is always a nice treat, just cracked a Double Jack Double IPA 22 and it's EXCELLENT!!

Went hunting for these today, only their porter was in stock, so I passed on trying my first Firestone Walker.

The DuClaw Colossus was back in stock (highest ABV of all American beers, 21%). $40 for a 1.6 pint bomber. Don't think I'll ever get that stuff :ols:

Just threw together a 4 pack:

Boulevard Sixth Glass Quadrupel

Urthel Hop-It

Flying Dog Secret Stash

Flying Dog The Fear

Went hunting for these today, only their porter was in stock, so I passed on trying my first Firestone Walker.

The DuClaw Colossus was back in stock (highest ABV of all American beers, 21%). $40 for a 1.6 pint bomber. Don't think I'll ever get that stuff :ols:

Just threw together a 4 pack:

Boulevard Sixth Glass Quadrupel

Urthel Hop-It

Flying Dog Secret Stash

Flying Dog The Fear

Had a Boulevard Dark Truth Stout the other day, it was really good, very smokey, I can see it being really good with some BBQ.

Is Flying Dog Secret Sash the 0 IBU IPA? What do they mean by that?

Had a Boulevard Dark Truth Stout the other day, it was really good, very smokey, I can see it being really good with some BBQ.

Is Flying Dog Secret Sash the 0 IBU IPA? What do they mean by that?

Nah, I don't know what you're talking about. What 0 IBUs would mean is that the beer is completely devoid of hops. I don't like saying "bitterness", because bitterness could come from another flavor. I've had stouts that are 50 IBUs and malty as all hell. I've also had beers that are 30 IBUs and come off as bitter because of the lack of malt.

Anywho, I wonder what beer you're talking about.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It's called Flying Dog International Arms Race, which is supposedly a 0 IBU IPA..... I saw it yesterday, why would I want an IPA without the hop bitterness? :doh:

Researched it, and its actually a spice/herb/veggie beer. I'd venture to guess it tastes like a saison, if they are substituting hops for spices. 0 IBU IPA sounds like a marketing ploy. "Coming soon to Flying Dog, 105 IBU stout with NO MALT".

Reviewing this 4 pack, and this is the one you guys wanna see:

Flying Dog The Fear

photo%2B1-700557.JPG

Flavor is heavy and unique: Pumpkin pie spices dominate this beer for sure. However, dark fruits, chocolate, caramel, roasted malt and even tobacco are all vying for the heaviest flavor. If you focus on any of those flavors you'll easily taste them. This tastes like one of my aged beers to be honest. So happy I decided to keep one of these from 2011. Thick beer, heavy, but easy to down. Warmth from alcohol is extremely forward on the finish. That is the only thing that is preventing me from facing this beer off with the Schlafly and Pumking. This beer seems like its 15% alchol on the aftertaste :ols: Other than that, The Fear is pretty delicious.

Flying Dog Wildemans Farmhouse IPA...spicy brew, with a little bit of banana, I really like Delirium Tremens, this is kind og light like that with more of a hop kick and spices. I'm not sure why they brewed a second Belgian IPA, this one doesn't touch The Raging Hooohaah. (btw it still has that indescribable "bandaid" taste that some on here didn't like)

Had 2 more different pumpkin beers last night: Harpoon Pumpkin UFO and Shipyard Pumpkin Ale. The Harpoon was pretty good had a nice pumpkin spice flavor. Wasn't impressed with the Shipyard at all, couldn't taste much of the pumpkin in it.

---------- Post added October-19th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

Also, anyone going to this? http://www.hsbeer.com/events/fiery-food-fest/

Bought my tickets yesterday!

I thought I'd share some reviews for some of my favorite local brews, specifically a few from Hill Farmstead. I just so happen to think their the best brewery in the country right now. And yes, I fully understand the weight behind that comment. :ols:

First up: Hill Farmsteads Society & Solitude #5 in my lucky Cal Ripkin Jr. glass. (The O's were still in it when I had this beer.)

vyRYel.jpg

The one sentence description of this beer at the brewery was "Think grapefruit...", and that was very apparent from the first smell. Very fragrant, citrusy, and clean. Almost no malty taste or bitter after taste. Lightly carbonated and pretty dry in the finish. Virtually no taste of alcohol despite being 7.8%. Very drinkable.

I still like their Abner a bit more, but this is up there with my favorite DIPAs. I think it's my favorite of the Society & Solitude series so far.

And from this past weekend: Hill Farmstead Arthur

d5EVyl.jpg

I'm a big fan of Saisons, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't have an expert's palette for them. The Hill Farmstead Ann is often called the best Saison in the world, but I'd still never had the chance to try it, so I'm giving one of their other Saisons a shot. I brought this down to VA this past weekend to share with my girlfriend (lives in Fairfax).

After pouring the beer and a funky tart and sweet aroma with a good fluffy head, as you can see it's hazy and bright yellow in appearance. The taste is quite citrusy with a lot of immediate spice, maybe peppery? I think I prefer the Saison Dupont over this one, its a bit more subtle on the tongue, but hey, I'm no expert.

:cheers:

Edited by HBnotBlades

Tried the Great Divide Hercules tonight, had the Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly last weekend, this is a tough call, but i'm going opposite of Double and saying the un-earthly is slightly better because of the oak aged deliciousness. Both are very good.

I said the Un*earthly was better too. Had the regular though, not oak aged.

Word, oak aged is really silly I didn't want it to end. Thought the Hercules was excellent with a nice KICK.

Damn, I love when a great beer is aged in barrels. All great beers should have a spinoff aged in complimentary barrels. If I see that oaked Un*earthly, there won't be any hesitation. Just like when I saw the regular stuff, snatched it. It's an automatic.

give us a review on that bad boy

On it!

New Belgium Red Hoptober

I must say, it really depends on the temperature of this beer when it comes to what you taste. When it's on the colder side, grassy hops are the theme, malt is chocolatey but sutble. When you exhale through your nose the chocolate is more apparent. When it's warmed up, the malt becomes the overwhelming theme, which is great, you even start to taste a lot of caramel. Drink this beer at close to room temperature. Body is light, silky, fairly dry. After going through the big-bad Fall beers, this just isn't among the elite. I do enjoy the chocolate malt in a hoppy beer though, it's good when it's on the warmer side. Absolutely aging one of these bad boys for a couple years hoping that the strength of the chocolate/caramel flavor quadruples.

new-belgium-red.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll