Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I thought I'd share some reviews for some of my favorite local brews, specifically a few from Hill Farmstead. I just so happen to think their the best brewery in the country right now. And yes, I fully understand the weight behind that comment. :ols:

First up: Hill Farmsteads Society & Solitude #5 in my lucky Cal Ripkin Jr. glass. (The O's were still in it when I had this beer.)

http://i.imgur.com/vyRYel.jpg[/url

The one sentence description of this beer at the brewery was "Think grapefruit...", and that was very apparent from the first smell. Very fragrant, citrusy, and clean. Almost no malty taste or bitter after taste. Lightly carbonated and pretty dry in the finish. Virtually no taste of alcohol despite being 7.8%. Very drinkable.

I still like their Abner a bit more, but this is up there with my favorite DIPAs. I think it's my favorite of the Society & Solitude series so far.

And from this past weekend: Hill Farmstead Arthur

http://i.imgur.com/d5EVyl.jpg[/url

I'm a big fan of Saisons, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't have an expert's palette for them. The Hill Farmstead Ann is often called the best Saison in the world, but I'd still never had the chance to try it, so I'm giving one of their other Saisons a shot. I brought this down to VA this past weekend to share with my girlfriend (lives in Fairfax).

After pouring the beer and a funky tart and sweet aroma with a good fluffy head, as you can see it's hazy and bright yellow in appearance. The taste is quite citrusy with a lot of immediate spice, maybe peppery? I think I prefer the Saison Dupont over this one, its a bit more subtle on the tongue, but hey, I'm no expert.

:cheers:

I love the few beers I've had from Hill Farmstead. Would also love to try a lot more. Interested in a trading parker in San Diego? I don't think there is anyone in the world making IPAs like Alpine and Pizza Port. Be happy to send you some of those to test your "best brewery in the country" theory.

Troegs HopBack Amber Ale vs. New Belgium Red Hoptober Amber Ale

(Review for the Hoptober is a few posts above)

troegs-hopback.jpg

The HopBack's aroma is mandarin orange up front with a touch of caramel. Usually don't get much of an aroma out of these, this is the best one so far. Wow, the flavor is ENORMOUS for an amber ale. Troegs punches me in the face again. Hops are flourishing across the board. An extremely well balanced citrus, earth, pine and grass -- hot damn. Body stays strong, it seems like it will tail off in to something light, but it doesn't in the end. Caramel malt is a nice and chill backbone. This crushes every Amber I've had, it comes off as an extremely well done American Pale Ale. Hoptober never stood a chance. This is a must-buy I think.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I love the few beers I've had from Hill Farmstead. Would also love to try a lot more. Interested in a trading parker in San Diego? I don't think there is anyone in the world making IPAs like Alpine and Pizza Port. Be happy to send you some of those to test your "best brewery in the country" theory.

I think we could work something out, although there is a very limited selection of beers that they actually bottle. All the wonderful DIPA's they make are only available on tap or with a growler.

Man, this is a great thread. Always new posts about great beers on the regular! ....

Anyways, I've never had a Scottish Ale before until this past weekend at the NOVA Fall Brewfest.

Devil's Backbone Kilt Flasher (great label art, haha):

devils-backbone-kilt-flasher.jpeg

It was GREAT and the standout of the fest for me and my buddy. It was rich, but the right balance - it was not overly sweet at all. I found a review that can wordsmith the details better than I can:

http://beerdork.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/devils-backbone-brewery-kilt-flasher-review-80/

The Devil's Backbone rep said that it will be in northern VA Total Wine stores in the coming weeks.

Wasn't planning on drinkin tonight, but the grocery store had a Leffe Blond for 50 cents...

Banana and vanilla dominate this one, the yeast gives a stark dough flavor, slight tropical fruit complex. Typically Belgians have a ton of carbo, but this is relatively relaxed. Good beer, but the flavor is getting redundant quickly. I wouldn't want a bomber of this, standard bottle is enough.

leffe-blonde-.jpg

Good beer, but the flavor is getting redundant quickly. I wouldn't want a bomber of this, standard bottle is enough.

I tried one of these for the first time the other day too. I felt basically the same way. It was a solid beer, pretty good. But, w/ all these other beers out there that I jones for, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

I was going to write a review on the Saranac IPA, since I've reviewed all the other beers in their Trail Mix pack, but I'm noticing a common theme. All these beers are "serviceable" tasting, meaning don't expect greatness by any means. They are cheap, they'll get you by on a day you don't feel like spending a lot on beer. Two rare styles at least, Vienna Lager (Andriondack) and a Schwartzbier (Black Forest).

TrailMix.jpg

Has anyone tried any brews by the Bruery?

Picked up a bottle of Mischeif a little while ago, i'm hoping it will pair well with crabs.

I've passed on their beers, because if I remember correctly, the cheapest bomber they had was $30. C'mon man!

For those that dont make into the Stadium

Chris Cooley tried to get beer included in new Redskins contract

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20693282/chris-cooley-tried-to-get-beer-included-in-new-redskins-contract

Didn't think I could become a bigger fan of Cooley's, but suddenly I am.

Got my go-to craft beer for tonight. 6 pack of Flying Dog Double Dog. :evil:

Has anyone tried any brews by the Bruery?

Picked up a bottle of Mischeif a little while ago, i'm hoping it will pair well with crabs.

I'm a member of their Reserve Society so I have a ton of their stuff. They make some killer beers. Awesome barrel aged beers and sours. They also some make some very average beers. Mischief is probably their best regular offering (their specialty is really their, well, special release stuff.)

---------- Post added October-27th-2012 at 10:28 AM ----------

I've passed on their beers, because if I remember correctly, the cheapest bomber they had was $30. C'mon man!

You probably run across their anniversary beer. Wax dipped bottle? Fruet? It is worth the $30.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVquKIM52Gqlt-AaSguJsqtNbY9VzKZIYEgDAA0n-r_llGaUBy

Hmm, you're getting hosed down there, this one was only $10.99, i'll tell you if it was worth it.
You probably run across their anniversary beer. Wax dipped bottle? Fruet? It is worth the $30.

Yes, it's $50 here. I mean wtf? Would hate to drop that kind of cash, is it really going to pummel every 12 dollar bomber in the store? Better be a gold coin at the bottom of the bottle!

Bigtime pine hops, with an earthy heartiness to them. Roasted malt and caramel combine as a rock solid background flavor that is instantly apparent and doesn't fade in the finish. Body is on the creamy side for a hoppy beer. 11.5% alcohol content is well-hidden. Still the best beer I've had from Flying Dog.

1) D0uble Dog

2) The Fear

3) Backyard Ale

4) Gonzo

5) Raging *****

Flying%20Dog%20Double%20Dog%20Double%20Pale%20Ale.jpg