Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Wow really? I drank an entire 6 pack of that during the Skins season opener and I thought it was pretty darn good

To each his own! But find the Dogtober and compare them :)

Had a Hex left over so I just opened it...yeah, this stuff isn't my thing. It's got a decent caramel backbone I guess, but it's hard to focus on with this blast of piss flavor in the way. Sorry, it's not piss, but it seems like adjunct grains almost. It makes me hold my breath for a second on every sip. No thank you.

D0ublestro0ker0ll, I'm with you in terms of the Hex and I'm not a fan of nearly any Magic Hat beers, with the exception of the Single Chair Ale. They always tend to over do the flavors and often leave me thinking, "what in the hell is going on here?".

I often refer to it as the worst beer in Vermont.

Edited by HBnotBlades

I doubt it I find most Magic Hat stuff to be piss, just my opinion...I feel they add artificial flavors to their beers

D0ublestro0ker0ll, I'm with you in terms of the Hex and I'm not a fan of nearly any Magic Hat beers, with the exception of the Single Chair Ale. They always tend to over do the flavors and often leave me thinking, "what in the hell is going on here?".

I often refer to it as the worst beer in Vermont.

Yeah guys, Magic Hat has a stigma attached to it, but I try my damndest not to be biased towards any brewery. I tried the Hex thinking optimistically, in order to offset said stigma. One of the worst beers I've had was the Magic Hat Wacko. It's probably the worst craft brew I've had not named Wild Blue. On the flip side, I didn't mind the Elder Betty. It's weak, but it's a wheat ale, so it figures. Real easy drinking.

Having a 2010 Southern Tier Choklat, i've had this before, instead of adding funkiness, the age has made this very smooth, it's like sipping chocolate milk, with caramel drizzled on the rim of the glass. Yeah, this beer is a beast at 11.8% and super tasty, watch out, it will kick you in the balls.

3334829099_aec9172564.jpg

I also tried a 2011 Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin, talk about a beer that completely fell apart with age, there was a big nasty pile of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.. Overall, the spice and pumpkin flavors were pretty non existent, the flavor of oak, alcohol and bourbon were strong, I have heard good things about this beer, I need to find this years version to see how much was missing.

Heavy-Seas-Greater-Pumpkin.jpg

Edited by GoSkins561

I also tried a 2011 Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin, talk about a beer that completely fell apart with age, there was a big nasty pile of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.. Overall, the spice and pumpkin flavors were pretty non existent, the flavor of oak, alcohol and bourbon were strong, I have heard good things about this beer, I need to find this years version to see how much was missing.

I had one fresh and thought it was really good.

I love pumpkin flavors (pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, etc.) but I'm usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beer. In Heavy Seas' case I thought it was done well.

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Heavy roasted flavor right off the bat; caramel/brown sugar takes form mid-taste, and not far behind are floral hops to top it out. Real sweet peak to this beer, finishes with caramel in command. Consistently-mild vibe of alcohol warmth. Nice beer to have on a cold, blustery October night, I got this too early.

IMAG0423.jpg

There is a lack of brown ales around these parts. Only ones that really jump out in my memory are the aforementioned DFH Indian Brown and the Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

Yeah same around my parts. The Sam Smith is really good but I'm looking to try new ones that I've never had before. It might be a bit tricky with the limited availability of brown ales.

Since it is officially fall I am looking for all recommendations on brown ales (looking to taste as many different ones as possible) so list your favorites.

The Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is pretty good, and I've always liked the Rouge Hazelnut Brown. Up here in the New England area we have the Old Brown Dog Ale by Smuttynose, I'm a big fan of that.

The Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is pretty good, and I've always liked the Rouge Hazelnut Brown. Up here in the New England area we have the Old Brown Dog Ale by Smuttynose, I'm a big fan of that.

Yeah the Smuttynose has been my go to in the fall, really good. Avery has one as well not as good as the Old brown dog but pretty solid brown ale

Yeah the Smuttynose has been my go to in the fall, really good. Avery has one as well not as good as the Old brown dog but pretty solid brown ale

Was walking around with a 6 pack of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale at the beer store. Just about ready to buy it, when I spot a 50oz mega bomber of Anchor Our Special Ale 2011. $19 price tag. Spice/Herb/Veggie beer, which is a top 5 style for me. Will be popping this bad boy open tonight to share it with the poker crew. Also got a Heavy Seas pint glass for the collection.

Heavy-Seas-Glass-copy.png

On the back it says "Embrace your Inner Pyrate!"

how was this place? how was pricing for beers? can you order samplers for beer?

It was really good. The food was good and compared to the pricing here in upstate NY I thought the beer price was very fair. My GF and I ordered two meals and 4 beers for like $40. Think it was $4 something a beer.

And yes, u can get samplers. Pretty cool little mugs.

830064020_f3cecb5b54_z.jpg?zz=1

how much do the samplers run? I went to world of beer in Arlington and got the "seasonal sampler" and it was 4, 4 oz beers but it ran me like $13. I didn't think that was cheap at all considering I got the same thing out at a brewery in San Diego for $5

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Wife is out of town, I passed my Certified Ethical Hacker exam today, so I decided, in the words of Tom Haverford, to "Treat Yo Self!"

Got 4 six packs and a Pumpking from Perfect Pour:

Night Owl Pumpkin Ale - Elysian Brewing Company

Jacques Au Lantern - Evolution Craft Brewing Company

Fisherman's Imperial Pumpkin Stout - Cape Ann Brewing Company

The Fear Pumpkin Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

It is going to be a pumpkin, Orioles, Redskins, and Xbox filled weekend... I couldn't be happier. Evo makes an amazing porter, so I'm hoping for good things from their Jacques Au Lantern.