Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I had some on draft the other night and I think "mediocre" is giving this stuff too much credit. Maybe my expectations were too high?

On another subject. I notice that you cellar a lot of beers, even beers that the brewers never intended people to age.

I'm with you and understand that many beers improve with age.

You really seem to like most of the aged beers. How about the flip side?

I can't believe that every beer that you cellared benefited from aging. C'mon str0ker0ll, give us the scoop on the stuff that you aged, and ended up using as slug bait!

Well, let's see here, currently I have 28 beers in my cellar, but I've only drank around 7 aged beers altogether. Yes, they have all been good. However, the 3 year old Midas Touch was definitely not as good as the 2 year old Midas Touch...and I have two of those left. If the trend continues, I expect the 4 and 5 year old Midas Touches to be pretty bad :ols:

I also haven't gotten in to some IPAs I've aged. A Heavy Seas Loose Cannon is in there with a huge amount of sediment on the bottom. I expect some of these to go bad, but it's all about experimentation and documentation :).

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Anybody who is a fan of Bavarian Hefeweizen I would like to pass along:

weihenreal.jpg

I am a big fan of traditional Bavarian wheat beers. I was introduced through Franziskaner and Paulaner, moved on to Hacker-Pschorr and Augustiner (I actually like their heller bock better) but I must say, my favorite of them all is Weihenstephaner.

As with all the wheat beers I've tried I feel it is much better on tap than bottled, but unless you take a trip to Germany you aren't likely to find any Weihenstephaner on tap. All I can say is that if you like wheat beers this one is full of flavor and I highly recommend it.

Well, let's see here, currently I have 28 beers in my cellar, but I've only drank around 7 aged beers altogether. Yes, they have all been good. However, the 3 year old Midas Touch was definitely not as good as the 2 year old Midas Touch...and I have two of those left. If the trend continues, I expect the 4 and 5 year old Midas Touches to be pretty bad :ols:

I also haven't gotten in to some IPAs I've aged. A Heavy Seas Loose Cannon is in there with a huge amount of sediment on the bottom. I expect some of these to go bad, but it's all about experimentation and documentation :).

You definitely have to share the results from that one! I still have one more HeavySeas Below Decks from '07 Can't wait to try it this winter.

You definitely have to share the results from that one! I still have one more HeavySeas Below Decks from '07 Can't wait to try it this winter.

That should be something else man, a 5 year old Barleywine. Only one I have is the Flying Dog Horn Dog Barleywine, it's coming up on 2 years old I think. If yours turns out to be awesome, I'll probably push mine to 5 years. I checked the Loose Cannon earlier, thing is a snow globe. Drink-by date is Nov 2011. Maybe on Thanksgiving I'll do an aged vs. fresh test with the Loose Cannon.

Welp, it's September, and that means time to dive in to the pumpkin beers. Six pack of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale.

Beautiful clear mahogany with a small sheet for a head. Aroma is cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and brown sugar as expected. Not a very strong smell, but still has that deep pumpkin pie character. Flavor is extremely heavy with the spice. The alcohol is also a factor from beginning to end. A sort of "hot" mouthfeel because of all this. The body is silky, not heavy. This beer goes beyond the spice of Grandma's pumpkin pie, it kicks. The Southern Tier Pumking is a lot more towards a traditional pumpkin pie flavor than this beer is. Still, this is a beer to try this time of year.

c4a66b4f6f87cb71a388799b1db18890_320x320.jpg

That should be something else man, a 5 year old Barleywine. Only one I have is the Flying Dog Horn Dog Barleywine, it's coming up on 2 years old I think. If yours turns out to be awesome, I'll probably push mine to 5 years. I checked the Loose Cannon earlier, thing is a snow globe. Drink-by date is Nov 2011. Maybe on Thanksgiving I'll do an aged vs. fresh test with the Loose Cannon.

I'll be at brewery in a couple of weeks and, (if I manage remember...I'll put a reminder in Outlook), I'll ask one of the brewers what he thinks how a 1-yr old Loose Cannon will evolve, (or not!).

Had a Shlafly Pumpkin last night, I really don't like the fruity beers, this is my new favorite. Pumpking is coming out this week, so is Flying Dogs The Fear, i'm looking forward to both of them.

Having a cold Schlafly Pumpkin Ale right now, totally kills the beer. The closer to room temperature, the better. These pumpkin beers are classified as spice/herb/vegetable beers. Spice/herb/vegetable beers by good breweries usually kick serious tail.

I'll be at brewery in a couple of weeks and, (if I manage remember...I'll put a reminder in Outlook), I'll ask one of the brewers what he thinks how a 1-yr old Loose Cannon will evolve, (or not!).

It'll be 1 year expired, not 1 year old. Will be cool to see if a brewer can predict the outcome. My prediction is that it will be extremely malty for an IPA. It just seems that malt shines with age.

Having a cold Schlafly Pumpkin Ale right now, totally kills the beer. The closer to room temperature, the better. These pumpkin beers are classified as spice/herb/vegetable beers. Spice/herb/vegetable beers by good breweries usually kick serious tail.

It'll be 1 year expired, not 1 year old. Will be cool to see if a brewer can predict the outcome. My prediction is that it will be extremely malty for an IPA. It just seems that malt shines with age.

Oddly, enough i just finished a Schlafly Pumpkin Ale and now I am having a DFH Indian Brown.....solid as usual.

Yeah....it'll probably be closer to 1 1/2 years....but I don't know how they determine the "best by" date on the Loose Cannon.

On another note, my son went to DuClaw and had one of my growlers filled. "Mad Bishop" is with their version of an Octoberfest. I'm not a big fan of the style, and it's definitely not like any Octoberfest I've ever had....too malty and sweet for my taste.

That old Loose Cannon is going to suck. My prediction is you don't finish the glass. IPAs or built to be drank fresh. The hops will be gone and the malt bill won't be string enough to really hold it's own after that long.

That's what I'm thinking. A buddy of mine gave me a case of Magic Hat #9, a few years back. It was over a year old when I got it. I tried one....it had lots of sediment and was terrible. I couldn even cook with it.

Got a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale for the crappy ass opener tonight. Also stashed away a 6 pack of Heavy Seas Marzen for the game on Sunday. Going hunting for the Pumking before the game as well. Will pop that **** open right as the kicker kicks off our season. Cheers!

Tonight I'm drinking whatever I have left in the beer fridge (some random IPAs sitting around). For kick off Sunday Im going with Black Butter Porter (my 1st porter since early spring). After that I'm moving on to some Octoberfest (Otter Creek.../meh). Looking forward to getting my dark beer on for the fall/winter.

I am going to try and put a serious dent in my 300+ bottles tonight. Invited a bunch of beer geeks over and told them all they better not bring any beer with them. My stash is out of control.

You're a seriously awesome friend.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

This one has a dry mouthfeel with a flavor I have to admit is quite off putting. The mix isn't doing it for me, getting a hop presence that I think is out of place. Malt is light and the spice mix is bland. Hate to talk so much crap about a beer, it is slightly sweet, there are a couple characteristics that are tasty. I'm a big DFH fan, but I will easily pass on this for other Pumpkin Ales and Marzens.

1413.jpg

I went ahead and got the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2012 sampler (holding off until Sunday) but includes the following:

Oatmeal Stout (Beer Camp #45)

Imperial Red Ale (Beer Camp #65)

Imperial Pilsner (Beer Camp #43)

Floral IPA (Beer Camp # 53) - whole-cone hop “flowers” with aromatic natural rose hips and petals for complex aromas and unexpected flavors

Not sure about the Floral IPA but it does have my interest piqued at the very least my wife may drink it.

sierra-nevada-beer-camp-variety-pack.jpg

Edited by Warpath11

^ ^

Holy cow, I'll be looking for that 12 pack for sure. How much did it cost? I'm dying for a reliable Oatmeal Stout that I can afford. Samuel Smith's is just too much for a 4 pack. It's something I get once every December. Those other beers are right up my alley. Sierra Nevada is one of the best IPA makers in the business.

^ ^

Holy cow, I'll be looking for that 12 pack for sure. How much did it cost? I'm dying for a reliable Oatmeal Stout that I can afford. Samuel Smith's is just too much for a 4 pack. It's something I get once every December. Those other beers are right up my alley. Sierra Nevada is one of the best IPA makers in the business.

Not bad at all $16.02 after NJ sales tax. I'll report back on the Oatmeal Stout when I drink one. I love Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout it is one of my faves but a bit expensive as you point out. Also, I'm not sure if SN comes out with any of the beer camp choices as stand-alone products.

New Burger place opened up here called Square One Burger, great burgers, with your choice of meat, like buffalo, ground chicken, ground turkey, lamb, angus, etc. But the also have committed a bunch of tap space to micro's and I had a Cigar City called, Jai Li.

They had a couple of DogFishHeads on tap and another I don't not recall. The Cigar City Jai Li, was awesome at 7 percent and the Dogfish was at 9 so I skipped it. Can't wait to go back to this place, really well decorated and the food was awesome as well.

http://www.square1burgers.com/

Abita, Purple Haze

Amstel Light

Anchor Steam

Bass

Beck’s

Bud Light

Budweiser

Cigar City Maduro

Coors Light

Corona

Corona Light