Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Samuel Adams Boston Lager vs. Samuel Adams Boston Ale

BostonLagerPintGlass.jpgSamual+Adams+Boston+Ale+2008.JPG

I gotta say, the Boston Lager wins this one. The Boston Ale seems one dimensional. A roasted nut/caramel malt, which can get redundant after a while. The redeeming quality of the Boston LAGER is that it had a flavor transition within the tasting. Hits first with a caramel/nut malt then transitions in to grain/hops and finishes with all the flavors combining. The Boston Ale is mundane compared to the Lager: The malt isn't interesting and the body is too thick. The Lager has a much more drinkable body with a more exciting tasting. Boston Lager wins handily.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Sam Adams makes a whole host of good beers. I enjoy both of these, people do tend to overhype Octoberfest though. I really like their Winter Lager the best out of the seasonal brews though.

If you've never been, you need to go to the Sam Adam's brewery in Boston. I was there in the Spring and it was awesome.

For one, its FREE. They just ask for a small donation. Then you get a little tour and then they pass around pitchers of beer for like an hour or so.

If you've never been, you need to go to the Sam Adam's brewery in Boston. I was there in the Spring and it was awesome.

For one, its FREE. They just ask for a small donation. Then you get a little tour and then they pass around pitchers of beer for like an hour or so.

I actually made it out there last September. My buddy was getting married in Boston and I was in the wedding and he took all of us on a tour of the brewery one of the days. Pretty awesome indeed.

(Not so) Breaking News: Now the Prez is home brewing at the White House:

whitehousehoneySouza-ale.jpg

By Nick Wing - When President Barack Obama heads off on his campaign bus tours, he apparently takes one, or perhaps a refrigerator-full, for the road.

According to the Des Moines Register, Obama told a man at an Iowa coffee shop Tuesday that his bus was stocked with beer, brewed at the White House.

He even offered the man a bottle of the home-brew, Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

This story inevitably led to a number of questions for White House Spokesman Jay Carney regarding the specifics of the beer.

The Register reports that Carney revealed that the White House brews both "light" and "dark" variations of the beer.

The White House chefs have been experimenting with home-brewing for some time, and according to news reports have crafted a White House Honey Ale, which included honey from the First Lady’s beehive, as well as a White House Honey Blonde and Honey Porter. There was no word on Tuesday about the style of beer with which the Obama campaign bus is stocked now.

Obama has served White House-brewed beer at Super Bowl parties and St. Patrick's Day events, and has even shared it with Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer.

The president is no stranger to sipping a cold one on the campaign trail. On Monday, Obama visited the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, where he made a pit-stop at the Bud Tent, offering to buy a round for a group fair-goers. His move reportedly drew chants of "Four more beers!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/obama-campaign-bus-beer_n_1776856.html

white-house-super-bowl-beer-obama-homebrew-honey-ale.jpg

Damn i will have to try that some weekend. Sounds like a great time.

hmmm, i will have to look it up. Thanks man

Looks like i cant get up here in NY. Damn

Southern Tier Brewery is in New York. Their "Pumking" is right there with the Schlafly. Pure pumpkin pie in a bottle. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Haven't had that Sam Adams Harvest Ale yet, there are just so many Octoberfest/Pumpkin Ales to choose from. Haven't even had the urge to dive in to the autumn beers yet, still working on what I like to have in the summer time. Non-Imperial Stouts and IPAs, Hefeweizens, Amber Ales, Pale Ales. They all go really well with grilled food. Now that Wild Goose Brewery is defunct, and Wild Goose Oatmeal Stout is gone, my favorite summertime beer is the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. I can guzzle that **** down with blue crabs, it's like they were made for each other.

Tonight I'm going with the new Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout. Second Oyster Stout I will have ever had, the Porterhouse Oyster Stout got low marks from me a couple years back.

I'm still stuck in the summer mode as well those Octoberfests/Pumpkin ales don't look too appealing just yet...

Ive been working on a 6-pack of Arcadia Ales Sky High Rye:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf7GOb-3wwDvHFhkIitzNooPqQHHVwofToICQbmGqqyklTm46a6g

Good IPA with that peppery rye kick on the finish.

Also for those really hot days when floating around the pool is a must I've been enjoying this oldie but a goodie

beer_pp.jpg

Edited by Warpath11

Bought a six pack of this from New Belgium:

red-hoptober-e1343862768744.jpg

By the way, it's stunning to me how quickly New Belgium Brewing Company has saturated the Middle Atlantic. Fat Tire came first and soon was seemingly on every grocery shelf in the DC area. Now a bunch of their brews are on the shelves. They've done an amazing marketing job. They seem to be vying with Samuel Adams for shelf space in Giant, Harris Teeter, etc. around here.

Not that I'm complaining. Not by a long shot. Everything I've had from them - Fat Tire, Shift, Ranger IPA, and now Red Hoptober, has been really good.

Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout

484117_10150965831517601_670505389_n.jpg

Poured this one very hard, splashing around in the glass - still have a 1 inch mocha head. Oyster, roasted malt, dark chocolate and vanilla on the aroma, all mild. The flavor starts with a relaxed dark chocolate with a roasted/burnt malt and a slightly salty oyster coming to fruition towards the finish. This is a beer I recommend getting a single bottle of, or passing on. It quickly becomes difficult to drink.