Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Without scanning the whole thread, I am not a big beer fan but I enjoy wine, whiskey and just about any other kind of alcohol. Is there a recommended beer that I guess doesn't have that traditional beer taste that might appeal to somebody like me?

a porter or a quad or perhaps a ale or stout

try this :cool:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/207/645

Black Butte Porter or New Belgium's Abbey

what's the difference between Imperial Stout and a Porter?

To me, stouts and porters are the same kind of beer. You can adjust them the same and call them stout or porter and get away with it. When you add "Imperial" to the equation you're talking essentially a "double" stout or porter. Big body, lots of alcohol, chocolate/roasted malt bomb are the common characteristics. Love 'em all practically.

Interesting stuff from Wiki:

The history and development of stout and porter are intertwined.[4] The name "stout" for a dark beer is believed to have come about because a strong porter may be called "Extra Porter" or "Double Porter" or "Stout Porter". The term "Stout Porter" would later be shortened to just "Stout". For example, Guinness Extra Stout was originally called "Extra Superior Porter" and was only given the name Extra Stout in 1840

1840? Love to get a Delorian and have a Guinness Superior Porter with someone in 1839.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Without scanning the whole thread, I am not a big beer fan but I enjoy wine, whiskey and just about any other kind of alcohol. Is there a recommended beer that I guess doesn't have that traditional beer taste that might appeal to somebody like me?

If you love whiskey and are looking for a non-traditional taste, try a Bourbon Barrel beer. If you are in DMV look for Williamsburg Bourbon Barrel Porter or Barrel Aged Gonzo. Both fantastic. CuClaw makes some too, but they have been hit and miss with me. I can give the two I mentioned my personal guarantee.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2012 at 11:36 PM ----------

So, as tough as this can be, if you could only drink one beer for the rest of your life, which would it be?

Personally, I'd go with Sam Adams Octoberfest.

My runner up would probably be Weinstephaner

Surprisingly not a tough call at all for me. Alpine Nelson. Nothing like it. Incredible.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

what's the difference between Imperial Stout and a Porter?

Read once that Stouts have an emphasis on roasted barley and Porter on *chocolate malt. Generally speaking, porters don't have any roasted barley (stouts do use chocolate malt though). They are smoother and a little easier to drink because of this. Stouts use heavy roasted malt so there is more of a "coffee" flavor going on.

*"chocolate" refers to the color of the malt. It is roasted less than roasted barley so it has a chocolate brown appearance opposed to a roasted black appearance.

Like double said, "Imperial" generally means an almost double version of the style. More malt/hops depending on the style.

While we're talking differences in styles...

Foreign Stout is very like on bitterness/hops while American Stout means there's some hops in there. Same with Englich Barley Wine vs. American barley Wine. American version is always more bitter and hoppy.

Also: DIPA=IIPA=Imperial IPA. Same thing.

Edited by Sebowski

I like how the Octoberfest is in stores already, they know what sells. Noble Pils (their summer beer) is BETTER in my opinion, and it's summer time --yet it sits on the lower shelf all the way on the right side.

The Octoberfest has a uniquely labeled new 6 pack sitting two shelf spaces wide right in front of my face in the center of all the Sam Adams.

Today I was craving some high pitched stuff so I went with a New York beer that sells for ridiculously cheap down here. Saranac White IPA, $8.69 for a 6 pack. They are a C+ brewery, their regular Pale Ale is a B in my book. Best prices in the store. Needed to save for some charcoal and steak/chicken/hot dogs this weekend. Guests are welcomed with Yuengling backed up in the fridge.

tumblr_lxlhqhMTRg1qf5nfwo1_500.jpg

So, as tough as this can be, if you could only drink one beer for the rest of your life, which would it be?

Personally, I'd go with Sam Adams Octoberfest.

My runner up would probably be Weinstephaner

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum for me, runner up would be Ballast Point Sculpin....if pale ales didn't exist, I would go with St. Bernardus

Edited by GoSkins561

Watching the UFC makes me sip on my drink a lot, it's a subconscious habit when watching people trying to virtually kill each other. So I'm going with a low alcohol, cheap as dirt, underrated brew: Yuengling Black & Tan.

This beer was one of my first ventures in to craft beer. A mix between their Lager and Porter, it comes off as a smokey charcoal in a very drinkable (smashable) body. Price tag is $12.99 for a 12 pack here.

YuenglingBlackTan400.jpg

Found this in a store near me so I had to get it since its hard to find San Diego stuff on the east coast: Ballast Point Big Eye IPA

img_7699-225x300.jpg

Hazy amber in color with a good amount of carbonation adding to a big mouthfeel. Columbus and Centennial hops are ever present adding a slight citrusy (grapefruit) nose/taste. Strong bitterness from those hops but a decent malt bill as well since they play nicely with the hops. Overall a great IPA true to the West Coast style (maybe not as hoppy as some but still very good).

Edited by Warpath11

Watching the UFC makes me sip on my drink a lot, it's a subconscious habit when watching people trying to virtually kill each other. So I'm going with a low alcohol, cheap as dirt, underrated brew: Yuengling Black & Tan.

This beer was one of my first ventures in to craft beer. A mix between their Lager and Porter, it comes off as a smokey charcoal in a very drinkable (smashable) body. Price tag is $12.99 for a 12 pack here.

]

Great beer for the price. I also like their yuengling lager light for those times you feel like knocking back 5 or 20. It's actually has a nice flavor as opposed to other light beers.

Edited by mojo

Great beer for the price. I also like their yuengling lager light for those times you feel like knocking back 5 or 20. It's actually has a nice flavor as opposed to other light beers.

Yuengling Black & Tan is an absolutely great beer for the price. I find it almost TOO drinkable, the faster I chug, the more that flavor comes alive. Went through that 12 pack so fast.

The Saranac White IPA was very good, again insanely cheap. Today I've picked up their Pale Ale to see which one I like more.

Update: They are a lot different. Pale ale is an earthy, nutty, caramelized beer. White IPA was better, but both are good options for those in a pinch.

While contiuning the theme of cheap 6 packs, I decided to get the Sam Adams Octoberfest.

Spices on the nose, caramel, maple, a hint of hops, good amount of grain on the big whiff. Flavor is caramel up front, maple as well, fruit complex (orange/banana/plum), assorted nuts, cinnamon and brown sugar back it up a little bit. Certainly a huge wasteland of grain in the flavor, but you can circumnavigate that when you concentrate. Finish is spicy, actually. I really like what's going on here, which is what I expected since I love the Marzen style. Obviously this beer is completely overhyped, beyond measure, even. However, it ain't bad.

samadamsoctoberfest.jpg

So I go to the local grocery story for a few things and decided to buy a six of these.

sam-adams-summer-ale.jpg

It's been 25 years since I've been able to do this,(being able to buy the real stuff at someplace else other than the state store),so what can I say? :silly:

While contiuning the theme of cheap 6 packs, I decided to get the Sam Adams Octoberfest.

Spices on the nose, caramel, maple, a hint of hops, good amount of grain on the big whiff. Flavor is caramel up front, maple as well, fruit complex (orange/banana/plum), assorted nuts, cinnamon and brown sugar back it up a little bit. Certainly a huge wasteland of grain in the flavor, but you can circumnavigate that when you concentrate. Finish is spicy, actually. I really like what's going on here, which is what I expected since I love the Marzen style. Obviously this beer is completely overhyped, beyond measure, even. However, it ain't bad.

http://beerdoctor.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/samadamsoctoberfest.jpg

So I go to the local grocery story for a few things and decided to buy a six of these.

http://candbpublichouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/sam-adams-summer-ale.jpg

It's been 25 years since I've been able to do this,(being able to buy the real stuff at someplace else other than the state store),so what can I say? :silly:

Sam Adams makes a whole host of good beers. I enjoy both of these, people do tend to overhype Octoberfest though. I really like their Winter Lager the best out of the seasonal brews though.

Hope I don't regret this, have had this beer in the cellar for over a year. Lagunitas Imperial Stout. Was thinking about aging it for a really long time, but I'm all out of fresh beer tonight, craving a chocolaty stout like hell. Commencing with the sacrifice...

(1 1/2 year old Lagunitas Imperial Stout)

lagimpstout.jpg

Big dark fruit aroma: Raisins, plums & prunes. Chocolate/liquorice overtone mixes well with it. Oats, brown sugar, coffee rounds it out...not much roastiness to speak of. Flavor is a punch of chocolate, ka..BLAM. Dark fruits, roasted malt, brown sugar & liquorice are powered high as well. Got quite a bit of a coffee tone, think I'm getting a bit of caramel here, have a cool oatmeal overtone, and hell if I'm not tasting some hops. Maybe the dark chocolate bitterness is fooling me, but I'd bet against it. Finish is VERY bitter chocolate with alcohol warmth hitting hard, even for 10%. This beer was purely awesome to drink, especially for the price ($7 a bomber). Let this beer sit in the cellar for a while to guarantee victory.