Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

On 7/13/2017 at 5:47 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I like a Black and Tan, Guinness and Harp. It was fun drinking those in London when I was there on business. Both beers were on tap in the pub. Pretty yummy.

That would be a Half N Half (Guinness and Harp - which I love).  Black and Tan is Guinness and Bass.  Snake Bite is is Guinness and Cider, which I now can proudly say, I have on tap in the man cave :D

I actually read there is a Black Velvet, which is half Guinness and half champagne.  Had the wife buy some champagne so I can try it lol.  Good thing is she can do mimosas too, so it wont go to waste.  

• Like 1

Saw the last 6 pack in Kroger & picked it up. Small Town's track record of nailing the taste/flavor of whatever it is they're mimicking has been pretty spot on. 

First impression is it citrusy & not quite that Mt Dew taste. Maybe closer to a Sun Drop taste, definitely not Mello Yello. After about 3/4 the way through the first one, it hints more towards the Mt Dew taste but that citrus is right there at the top of it. 

IMG_6081.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TK said:

Saw the last 6 pack in Kroger & picked it up. Small Town's track record of nailing the taste/flavor of whatever it is they're mimicking has been pretty spot on. 

First impression is it citrusy & not quite that Mt Dew taste. Maybe closer to a Sun Drop taste, definitely not Mello Yello. After about 3/4 the way through the first one, it hints more towards the Mt Dew taste but that citrus is right there at the top of it. 

On a sweltering day, one of those looks pretty good in a big cup of ice. 

Now or that it's mid July, I anticipate seeing pumpkin beers in the store any day now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 10:31 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

I went to California last week and made sure to stop in at Russian River for some Pliny the Elder. I am a happy man.

One of my favorites! I buy it every chance I get at some of the local markets in SD.

I still need to try Pliny the Younger..

Edited by Skinz4Life12

On July 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM, skinsfan_1215 said:

I went to California last week and made sure to stop in at Russian River for some Pliny the Elder. I am a happy man.

I've been to California twice in the last two years (San Diego and San Jose) and couldn't find any.  (Granted, they were whirlwind weekends so I didn't have a lot of time to search.)  Still want to try it...

• 3 months later...

Been a while since we've had much discussion in here.

This was the mix'n'match six pack I made at the local liquor store on Thursday.  I'm trying to decide what to have tonight while I chill and have some hobby time.  (Not the Loose Cannon tonight.  I threw it in there just to have an old favorite in the mix, but I'm in the mood for one of the rich dark ones.)

20171105_153146.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried A Toute le Monde? 

I love Dave like no other woman (ok, his wife, maybe)...found out a friend of mine's store has it...if you follow his twitter, everybody orders from somewhere or loses their minds...

Stone Mountain GA.  It's in the freezer for another 20 minutes, then spin it (Dave says to let the spices rattle), then you'll have a 30-year bartender gargle it and tell you about it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did. I found it VERY chocolatey, which could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. For example, I wouldn't have it with dinner, or with something like chocolate cake. Might go well with a lighter dessert or just by itself. 

I like the oatmeal stout but this one was a bit too heavy handed on the chocolate for me. Good beer, just leans way into the chocolate. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

New craft beer hotel in Scotland to feature beer taps in every room

Attention beer geeks: A craft beer hotel is set to open in Scotland next year, with features that will include beer taps in every room and an en-suite beer fridge built right into the shower wall.

It's the stuff of beer lover dreams.

When independent craft brewery BrewDog opens the DogHouse hotel in Aberdeenshire, Scotland in early 2019, guests will never be far from a pint of suds -- bathroom included.

To be built on the site of its brewery's Aberdeen headquarters -- which is also expected to expand with the addition of a 300-hectolitre brewhouse, canning and packaging hall -- the hotel will feature 26 rooms, all of which will feature their own beer taps.

Because true beer lovers are always thirsty -- the shower is no exception -- a built-in beer fridge makes sure guests will never go long without.

To create a truly immersive experience, rooms overlook the brewery and pull back the curtain on how brewers work. Guests can also learn about where the magic happens with tours of the brewing facility itself.

News of the Scottish opening comes after the brewery announced plans to open a beer hotel at its American brewery in Columbus, Ohio. A crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo raised US$324,482 by 2,160 backers.

Click on the link for the full article

On 7/16/2017 at 10:31 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Next time you are in Northern California, make sure to check out Moonraker brewing in Auburn, CA.  They are quickly becoming one of the best.  The amount of growth they've had in the past few years is crazy.  I remember going when it was a small bar area and a chalk board.

Their double IPA recently beat out Pliny in a blind taste test at some competition.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Next time you are in Northern California, make sure to check out Moonraker brewing in Auburn, CA.  They are quickly becoming one of the best.  The amount of growth they've had in the past few years is crazy.  I remember going when it was a small bar area and a chalk board.

Their double IPA recently beat out Pliny in a blind taste test at some competition.

My brother lives in Auburn, I’ll tell him to check it out.

• 1 month later...

Couple things, from - one might say - opposite ends of the beer drinking spectrum...

- The Aslin Beer Company, dubbed by the Washington Post as the best Washington brewery nobody has heard of, has opened a beer garden directly across the street from the ticket windows at Nats Park.

0405_aslin-780x520.jpg

- I spent Saturday up in Charm City, and from the rooftop deck of the Canton brownstone I was visiting, I could plainly see the Natty Boh guy on top of the building on Brewer's Hill:

848aa553b28adcacf2aa3fc783883824.jpg

Which leads to the news that National Bohemian, just in time for spring, has released its first new beer in 30 years: Crab Shack Shandy:

030618_crab_shack_shady-780x520.jpg

I actually drank a regular ol' Natty Boh one week ago for the first time since I was a young pup.  And I was pleasantly surprised.  It was a 16 ounce can and not a bottle, so I didn't get to enjoy solving the picture puzzle under a bottle cap as I sipped away.

I'm actually looking forward to trying a Crab Shack Shandy or two.  Maybe along with a bushel.

Has the NE IPA aka Hazy IPA aka Lazy IPA aka Foggy IPA aka aka aka......been blowing up everywhere else too?  I am a huge fan, I remember though just barely a year or so ago it was harder to find, some breweries might have a single one on tap as an "experiment" now it seems like most breweries have at least 2-3 rotating in & out.

For those unfamiliar this type started out as "New England IPA" not sure if the variety actually started there or what, but has morphed into being called "Hazy IPA" mostly everywhere because of the hazy appearance of the beer.  It is unfiltered and is often referred to as "lazy IPA" by the hierarchy of beer snobs because supposedly due to the haziness of the color, it's easier to hide the imperfections in the brewing process.  The flavor profile tends to be super citrus-y and some shops have even gone further adding lactose and other elements and calling it "milkshake IPA"  it's really delicious stuff and it is pleases people new to craft beer as well as the seasoned vets, 

I was recently in Santa Cruz and stopped by one of their new breweries (open less than a year) called Humble Sea brewing and found they referred to their hazy's as Foggy, nice bay area touch there.

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Has the NE IPA aka Hazy IPA aka Lazy IPA aka Foggy IPA aka aka aka......been blowing up everywhere else too?  I am a huge fan, I remember though just barely a year or so ago it was harder to find, some breweries might have a single one on tap as an "experiment" now it seems like most breweries have at least 2-3 rotating in & out.

For those unfamiliar this type started out as "New England IPA" not sure if the variety actually started there or what, but has morphed into being called "Hazy IPA" mostly everywhere because of the hazy appearance of the beer.  It is unfiltered and is often referred to as "lazy IPA" by the hierarchy of beer snobs because supposedly due to the haziness of the color, it's easier to hide the imperfections in the brewing process.  The flavor profile tends to be super citrus-y and some shops have even gone further adding lactose and other elements and calling it "milkshake IPA"  it's really delicious stuff and it is pleases people new to craft beer as well as the seasoned vets, 

I was recently in Santa Cruz and stopped by one of their new breweries (open less than a year) called Humble Sea brewing and found they referred to their hazy's as Foggy, nice bay area touch there.

I haven't had one yet, unless Flying Dog's Blood Orange IPA fits the category.  Which I really enjoyed.

I've read that the hop profile is really muted on these, despite the IPA name, which would make it more accessible to drinkers who might otherwise shy away from anything labeled IPA.   

On 2/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, China said:

New craft beer hotel in Scotland to feature beer taps in every room

Attention beer geeks: A craft beer hotel is set to open in Scotland next year, with features that will include beer taps in every room and an en-suite beer fridge built right into the shower wall.

It's the stuff of beer lover dreams.

OK but who changes the keg when its empty? LMAO