Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Any of you all ever try aging a ferkin? aka cask lol 

p.s. im joking

Edited by DButz65

As far as the storage goes, you are spot-on.  The only beer, that I'm aware of, that benefits from cellaring, are barleywines. They need to be kept in a cool, dark place.    

many porters and stouts age well if ya have the desire, I prefer to buy mine to drink soon.

aging in whiskey casks certainly adds to some as well.

the hop heads are best served fresh

Not to mention the wide world of sours, wilds, etc. Lambics age easily for decades.

Exactly. And traditional ales like the Midas Touch I posted. Do some hard research, you can age craft beers. I've known this since I started doing it. I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't sure I had the green light.

http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/justin-williams/5-things-you-should-know-about-aging-beer.htm

5. Beer won't spoil.

You might not prefer what age does to certain beers, but you don't have to worry about beer going bad.

"If someone grabs a bottle of Black & Blue off the shelf and it says 2009 on it, they shouldn't be afraid to open it," Ryan says. "There's no expiration date. It's just going to be different."

Rebecca agrees.

"It's not milk," she says. "It doesn't go bad on the shelf. It'll never make you sick. It might not be the flavor that you remember, but it might be a flavor that you like even more."

Even the IPAs that I was fully aware of being not-recommended as a style of beer to age, turned out to be -different-, not spoiled, or nasty, or anything. Like I said before, some of them were surprisingly delicious. 2/3 year old IPAs.

And what is so difficult about storing beer? Is there really a problem among beer enthusiasts with how they cellar their beer? Dark, cool place...upright, jostle them as little as possible through the years.

I'm telling you, and I'd pass a lie detector test, a simple amber ale turned out better with age. I'm aging a Third Shift amber lager right now because of it. Wanna see if ambers go 2 for 2. If the fresh is better, the fresh one is better. It's a neat experience either way.

Man, some of the beers I've aged turned out ridiculously good. I have witnesses meng. I only drink the aged beers with friends.

Enjoyed some of these yesterday.  If you are not big on pumpkin beer, and / or never had one, this is the way to go to get you used to them.  This is the easiest drinking pumpkin ale I've had.

I seen these for the first time the other day. Had no idea Brooklyn made a pumpkin. 

Gonna try and give them a shot this week.

Tried the travelers Jack-O....terrible. Pumpkin and lemon just doesn't mix

Some beer does age well, for example Deschutes special edition Black Butte Porter that they put out once a year ages great. I usually buy two bottles a year and save one to open when the following year's releases to compare the two batches. 

Last week at the local tap house I go to they had Coronado brewing pint night where you get to keep the pint glass. They brought their pumpkin beer in bottles but also tapped a special keg of it that was aged in brandy barrels. I am not a brandy guy, but it went well with pumpkin beer, the sweetness gave off some vanilla notes that is pretty much perfect for pumpkin.  

• Like 2

Like I said before, I haven't met a stout or porter that didn't benefit from aging.

Beers definitely age after the carbonation process, and they do not spoil. It's funny reading what yall are saying after I've experimented heavily with bottle aging beers. They change colors, textures, some flavors are enhanced while some fade in to the background. It makes a huge difference the vast majority of the time. Whether or not it makes the beer "better" or "worse" is subjective. The bottom line is that they are still perfectly enjoyable, never disgusting, and a lot of the time will knock your socks off.

The Burton Baton is a double IPA and it says on the bottle, "ages with the best of 'em". A double IPA. I even aged a Sierra Nevada Harvest! A beer that is all about drinking ASAP because it's a fresh hop ale. It was maltier and earthier, as expected, but perfectly fine drinkability-wise.

Man, I won't even get in to the great god damn beers I've aged. Thus far, I've been giving the most ridiculous examples I can think of.

• Like 1

Hoky crap, this Space Cake by Clown Shoes is delicious.

Also...i'm in love with Elysian: Space Dust.

Next on deck is Simtra by Knee Deep, & then i plan on trying Hop Shortage.

I once believed that i hated IPA's...i now know that i just need the really good stuff. Doubles, & triples all day.

I purchased three Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary brews in 2010.

Drank 1 that night and another at a Christmas party in 2014. How much longer can I let the last one age?

Which one is it? There's an imperial stout, barleywine and American strong ale. I put one of the 30th Anny imperial stouts with the blue label away for 3 years. Was excellent.

I personally haven't aged anything over 6 years, but the 6 year old beer I just had turned out nicely.

American Strong ales are a hoppy style, but extremely malty too. Caramel, dark fruit, brown sugar, molasses, toastiness, ect. I remember those flavors getting richer with age, the body getting thicker and the hops mellowing out, while still maintaining a nice earthy/piney flavor.

I'll get to find out what a lot of age does to a beer kind of like that when I break out my old ass Flying Dog Double Dog the night before I move.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I went to my friendly local Total Wine (well, I actually visited two today) to grab a few random beers in anticipation of a fun game tonight. Instead, the game drove me to drink more than I planned. Oh well...the game was not good, but at least I drank some good beer.

I know this has been asked before, but are any of you fellas on Untappd?

Edited by lovetoaster

Green Lable Grand Cru

Reading really good reviews from people who cellared it. A few people here and there are reporting high oxidation, but again most are raving about how good it is. Check it out on BeerAdvocate, they have the most recent reviews at the top of the page.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/63152/

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Reading really good reviews from people who cellared it. A few people here and there are reporting high oxidation, but again most are raving about how good it is. Check it out on BeerAdvocate, they have the most recent reviews at the top of the page.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/63152/

Thanks! Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll open it on my 40th in three years.

• Like 1

So my company moved offices a couple miles north of DTLA. We are now two blocks away from Eagle Rock Brewery, a little microbrewery here in LA. Been going there after work. They have this BOB Pale Ale that is so nice. Smooth and crisp finish with just enough flavor. They also have a Populist IPA that is great. 7% so it'll kick your ass.

I doubt any of you have had it before, but Google them if you get a chance.

Edited by abdcskins

After 125 years, hipsters have deemed this brewery’s beers cool

For years, beer lovers have been rolling their eyes as hipsters embraced their grandfathers’ blue-collar beer brands — Pabst Blue Ribbon, National Bohemian, Stroh’s — in the name of cheap prices and “heritage.”

Cheap? Sure. But these days, there’s little that’s authentically Maryland about Natty Boh, a beer brewed in North Carolina under contract to a multinational corporation based in Los Angeles with a Texas post office box as its address.

But the hottest throwback beer sweeping the East Coast has a back story that rings true: Narragansett, founded in Rhode Island in 1890, was the official beer of the Boston Red Sox from the days of Ted Williams to the era of Carlton Fisk. It was the region’s best-selling beer for decades, until a series of corporate buyouts and mergers crippled the brewery’s products. By the time Rhode Island native and former Nantucket Nectars president Mark Hellendrung rediscovered the beer in a bar in 2003, it was a minor regional label owned by Pabst, with only about 5,000 cases a year leaving the brewery. “It was really watered down. The packaging hadn’t changed in years,” Hellendrung says. “There wasn’t any love or attention being shown to the brand.”

In 2005, Hellendrung and his partners bought the rights to Narragansett. The first thing he did, Hellendrung says, was bring back Bill Anderson — the last brew master of the old Narragansett, who still had the original recipe — and begin canning at a New York brewery. They started slowly, focusing on New England at first, eventually moving into Philadelphia in 2010 and New York City in 2011. At the urging of its New York distributors, Narragansett entered the D.C. market in November 2013.

Click on the link for the full article

In 2005, Hellendrung and his partners bought the rights to Narragansett. The first thing he did, Hellendrung says, was bring back Bill Anderson — the last brew master of the old Narragansett, who still had the original recipe — and begin canning at a New York brewery. They started slowly, focusing on New England at first, eventually moving into Philadelphia in 2010 and New York City in 2011. At the urging of its New York distributors, Narragansett entered the D.C. market in November 2013.

Click on the link for the full article

Very cool, I've never heard of it though, and I am in the DC market, in Virginia lol will try and find out who landed them

And speaking of awards, Fairwinds Brewing, which is in Lorton VA, and has only been brewing beer for 6 months, won GOLD at the GABF for one of their beers, glad we distribute them! 

Edited by DButz65