Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV.

ohioskinsfan

My boss wanted a good big TV, and it had to be there yesterday. So I found this one in stock locally and made the purchase. It's a Sharp LC 65SE94U 65" LCD. I know you guys like to hear about different models. I'll be going out and setting it up next week. I'll give you a review.

Have you seen this one Slacky?? Seems to be a pretty good TV, Sharp has some random banding issues, but no reports of it on this particular model yet.

I'm proud of Sharp for putting out a TV that is close to the picture of Samsung and Sony. The SE series TVs look great.

Ok just wanted to give an update to those who may be looking for a new HDTV.

Last week I bought a 50' Panasonic Plasma. Model #TH-50PZ800u.

It arrived on Friday, and let me tell you it was worth every penny. This thing is seriously amazing! It sets you back in your seat and you just awe at the clarity.

When you put it into THX mode it is literally like watching a movie in the theatre. Not b/c of the size of the screen, but just the way the picture actually looks. Its damn near identical to a theatre screen.

It is a little pricey but would highly recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a new HDTV. I got the "standard" output of the TV calibrated through Circuit City, and it looks great for sports and regular TV viewing.

But when watching movies, just flip it in THX mode and get ready to be blown away. The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray looks amazing on it!!

They are a little hard to find because so many places are sold out of them, but I highly recommend this set to anyone looking to upgrade their home theatre!!

I'm looking to buy my first HDTV. I want a 42". I watch a lot of sports: football and basketball and the occasional golf tournament. I have a 360 and my family enjoys a good movie.

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8722448&type=product&id=1200703056233.

I also saw it a lot cheaper on amazon.com.

Does anyone have this model?

Has anyone bought an HDTV online?

I also know that LCD's are very popular so I'm interested to hear from fellow ES who own LCD's with similar preferences as I.

Thanks for all of your help.

HTTR

If you're gonna get an HDTV, don't settle for 720P. Get 1080P. I was just on the Best Buy site and I'm looking at the Bravo 1080P LCD for $999.

If you're gonna get an HDTV, don't settle for 720P. Get 1080P. I was just on the Best Buy site and I'm looking at the Bravo 1080P LCD for $999.

at 42" its dumb to get a 1080p if a 720p is available much cheaper. not big enough to notice the difference in quality unless you are sitting 2 feet from the screen

http://gizmodo.com/5099489/how-to-buy-an-hdtv-today-or-any-day

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a little help here. After saving for a looooong time I just got a great deal and saved $550 on a 47" LCD and Blu Ray player.

However, now I'm confused as to which HDMI cables I need. I'm seeing all these different numbers with them, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

Some are labeled as HDMI and some are DVI-to-HDMI.

Here's my question. I have a Blu Ray player that needs to be hooked up to the TV as well as HD service from the cable company. What HDMI cables should I buy?

Thanks for any help!

I'm looking for a little help here. After saving for a looooong time I just got a great deal and saved $550 on a 47" LCD and Blu Ray player.

However, now I'm confused as to which HDMI cables I need. I'm seeing all these different numbers with them, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

Some are labeled as HDMI and some are DVI-to-HDMI.

Here's my question. I have a Blu Ray player that needs to be hooked up to the TV as well as HD service from the cable company. What HDMI cables should I buy?

Thanks for any help!

HDMI carries a digital signal - so either the signal gets there or it doesn't, you aren't going to see any real difference in quality so don't let anyone talk you into buying sme expensive cable.

monoprice.com like SF12 said.

Agree with JetSkins too, plus there isn't that much programming that's done in 1080p. Plus the rule of thumb is that under 50" it's pointless to get 1080.

But I'm a value shopper. If money is not a consideration then why not?

Agree with JetSkins too, plus there isn't that much programming that's done in 1080p. Plus the rule of thumb is that under 50" it's pointless to get 1080.

But I'm a value shopper. If money is not a consideration then why not?

most hd broadcasting is done in 1080i not 1080p. 1080i still looks better than 720p so I think its worth it even if you don't have a 50 inch. As long as its above 40 you should see the difference.

most hd broadcasting is done in 1080i not 1080p. 1080i still looks better than 720p so I think its worth it even if you don't have a 50 inch. As long as its above 40 you should see the difference.

1080i and 720p are similar Hi-Def standards. 1080i Gives a little more of a 3d look while watching things like Planet Earth, but is not as adept at handling fast moving scenery such as sports.

720p is better at handling action, but not quite as good a the pretty slower scenes.

Both of these however are HD and look amazing at most times for most content.

1080p of course is a step above both if you can find the content to take advantage of its strength's. As others have said under 50" and the difference is measurable by instruments, but not apparant to the human eye at normal viewing distances.

1080i and 720p are similar Hi-Def standards. 1080i Gives a little more of a 3d look while watching things like Planet Earth, but is not as adept at handling fast moving scenery such as sports.

720p is better at handling action, but not quite as good a the pretty slower scenes.

Both of these however are HD and look amazing at most times for most content.

1080p of course is a step above both if you can find the content to take advantage of its strength's. As others have said under 50" and the difference is measurable by instruments, but not apparant to the human eye at normal viewing distances.

Eh, I've always heard that - but I always much prefer sports on NBC or CBS (1080i) vs. sports on ABC or ESPN (720p) - I can always tell a big difference.

CBS and NBC look better for regular shows too.

Eh, I've always heard that - but I always much prefer sports on NBC or CBS (1080i) vs. sports on ABC or ESPN (720p) - I can always tell a big difference.

CBS and NBC look better for regular shows too.

A lot of that can have to do with cable/sat companies playing with compression. You can't always assume that the signal your getting for each station is streaming at the same bitrate.

The scaler in your TV and cable box can play a role also. I don't know how many times I've seen someone talk about the differences, but when you see their set up they have the cable/sat box scaling everything to 1080i(default for most boxes) instead of passing it through clean to the TV.

A lot of that can have to do with cable/sat companies playing with compression. You can't always assume that the signal your getting for each station is streaming at the same bitrate.

The scaler in your TV and cable box can play a role also. I don't know how many times I've seen someone talk about the differences, but when you see their set up they have the cable/sat box scaling everything to 1080i(default for most boxes) instead of passing it through clean to the TV.

I've done both . . . and used antenna for a close to uncompressed signal - on mulitple TV's and I can always tell a difference and other people comment on it as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Distance from TV set

2. Lighting situation in room(windows, sliding doors, lamps etc.)

3. Price range

The set-up: We currently have a 24" (non-HD) Toshiba. Please, stifle your laughter - at least a little. OK, OK. Fine, I'll wait for you to stop laughing. ... So anyway, we've recently come into about $800 to spend on a TV and would like to upgrade.

The conditions: The living room is pretty bright most of the time. We have lots of windows and like keeping them open. Even at night, we tend to keep a bright overhead light on. (It's good that we like it bright because there's no way to get that room dark during the day.) We sit about 10-12 feet from the TV and are leaning toward something in the 40-42 inch range, but will go smaller to ensure quality/price (anything is better than the 24" we have now).

Our needs: We watch regular ol' DVDs, no Blu-ray discs. We have basic cable and that isn't changing. Half the time, my girlfriend is watching court shows or stuff like forensic files. The other half we're playing games on the Wii or the Xbox 360. Sometimes I stream content from my PC to my Xbox 360.

The suggestions: I thought we'd have to go LCD because of the room's light but it seems like many are saying plasma is fine with its anti-reflective technology. I also thought LCD might be better for gaming since it's brighter, but it sounds like many are saying plasma is smoother (refresh rate) and still looks great. So I'm pretty much torn other than that Samsung seems to be the best for LCD and Panasonic for Plasma.

Help? :D Do I just look for the biggest Panasonic plasma around $800? The Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U seems to be a quality TV and runs as low as $599. That sounds great to me. Should I make that the target?

Archived