Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV.

ohioskinsfan

The best brands are Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or Sharp. Avoid any other American brand. Avoid those here today, gone tomorrow brands like Vizio. Go LCD, skip plasma, and 1080p ain't worth the extra $400.

My advice.

Completely disagree - most negative comments about plasmas are from those that have never owned one from what I can tell.

The best brands are Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or Sharp. Avoid any other American brand. Avoid those here today, gone tomorrow brands like Vizio. Go LCD, skip plasma, and 1080p ain't worth the extra $400.

My advice.

How can you promote Panasonic and then say skip plasma? Its completely contradicting. Panasonic does not make an LCD screen above 37". And please dont go around here trashing Plasma TVs. Id say that some Panasonic plasmas are just as good, if not better than most LCDs.

Word of mouth and unknowledgable salesmen are to blame for this fact. Find yourself a person who knows what hes talking about and most will actually push Plasma over LCD.

Yeah I noticed that when shopping.

Had a friend convince me to give plasma a try and I have to admit that I really love having absolutely no motion blur and no "120 hz" gimmicks trying to correct motion blur.

Both are great technologies that are improving every year but will probably be obsolete in the next decade with the way technology is progressing these days.

EDIT: I also think that fact that the plasmas don't look as good on showroom floors is a major factor. With those incredibly bright showrooms the LCD's just "pop" so much more and the plasmas look pretty dull. People don't realize that a) they'll never watch the TV in torch mode and B) they won't be watching TV with 800 lights on.

Okay maybe you don't have to skip plasmas, but from everything I've read, plasma is the outdated technology. I'm sticking with LCD.

No more outdated than LCD - in fact Panasonic just invested a ton of money into manufacturing of plasma sets.

Both will most likely be replaced in the coming years by new technology: laser, OLED, etc.

My advice.

Vizio is now 6 years old and now are North America's largest seller of LCD TV's. I doubt they are going anywhere soon.

No more outdated than LCD - in fact Panasonic just invested a ton of money into manufacturing of plasma sets.

Both will most likely be replaced in the coming years by new technology: laser, OLED, etc.

So what's the general consensus here, plasma is better for 40"+ TVs, LCD for TVs under 40"?

Brands are also very important. I don't understand how anyone can go cheap when it comes to buying a new TV. Vizio makes TVs for bars, not your house.

So what's the general consensus here, plasma is better for 40"+ TVs, LCD for TVs under 40"?

Brands are also very important. I don't understand how anyone can go cheap when it comes to buying a new TV. Vizio makes TVs for bars, not your house.

I agree but some people don't have the money or don't want to spend a ton on something like a TV.

As far as the size argument it really just depends on the situation.

I would still buy an LCD for certain situations and LCD is definitely the answer for smaller sets.

I don't understand how anyone can go cheap when it comes to buying a new TV. Vizio makes TVs for bars, not your house.

I bought a 42" "dynex" from best buy. It gets the job done and was about 1/2 the price of others with the same features. I'll take the savings over a "slightly" better picture any day of the week.

I have:

56" Samsung DLP

42" Vizio Plasma

32" Vizio LCD

by far the Samsung has the best picture..

Not surprising given the brands - wouldn't put as much stock in that as far as comparing the technology.

DLP has a good picture but between the viewing angles and the massive size of the sets they just aren't practical for most people.

someone plz clarify the whole Hz thing.

So 120hz is more necessary for LCD, whereas 60hz will get the job done fine with plasmas or what?

It's not necessary and I didn't even like the 120 hz feature on the set I had - I turned it off.

Plasma has no motion blur.

LCD because of constraints of the technology has motion blur that can be quite evident depending on the set but has gotten better. I base the motion blur more off of the response time than "120 or 60 hz". <6 ms response time is pretty standard these days.

The 120 hz feature can give things like movies and tv shows a really unnatural look because it speeds up the frames in order to give the appearance of a "smoother" transition - I hated it.

I'm not sure what that means... To me, if bars have Vizios, that means that they can handle being on 12 hours a day, so it should be just fine for me having it on about 4 hours a day...

I think what he means is that they fare better in dark settings. Which I agree with. Vizio plasma TVs are pretty good, but the LCDs are average at best. But the plasma's need to be in a dark setting since they dont have the anti reflective screens.

hmmmm....this sounds like something that I will have to experience for myself at the store.....at least you can turn it off if you dont like it, but then again you probably pay more to have it in the first place. i wonder if most sets let you adjust from 120 to 60

Yes, all sets have the ability to turn off and on the auto motion 120Hz feature.

Archived