Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV.

ohioskinsfan

Its because not all tv shows are broadcast in 1080p. Most shows are 720p and 1080i. The only thing in true 1080p is Blu-Ray. So if people want to save a few bucks and go with 720p, they won't really be able to tell a huge difference unless they are watching Blu-Ray.

video games are also 1080p these days

video games are also 1080p these days

some but not all. this is a great article about 720p vs. 1080p.

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Edit: Quote from the article

As for gaming, Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 games are usually 720p native, though some titles are being offered in 1080p resolution (also, the 720p titles can be upscaled to 1080i or 1080p in the user settings of those consoles).

i didn't know about the upscaling via the console but i think all 360 games coming out are available in 1080p now

i know that some ps3 games are 720p for sure. my roommate has ps3 and on the back of the box it says what it is in and all the games he has say 720p on the back. i think you might be right about the 360 games though. but either way, i can't really tell that much of a difference between the two. unless you have a big tv, you can't really tell unless you are right up at the screen.

DO NOT buy a TV from Walmart. Manufacturers tend to put cheaper or even refurbished parts in the models they send to Walmart. I'd go with the Sony. Where does the Phillips say its a 120Hz refresh rate? Tell State Farm that Sears is selling new 46" V4100's for 1299.99, just $100 more than the Phillips.

UPDATE: Parents got the 46" V4100 which kills the Philips TV. Thanks Slacks! My dad is excited!

No problem dude, they wouldn't have been happy with that Phillips set. I can promise you that. So did your dad just tell State Farm that Sears had it for that much? If so, I'm glad I saw your post.

Naw, my mom talked to them and told them that My dad wanted the 46" version. They aren't giving them a blu-ray player now, but they never had one anyways so it's fine.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone ot there, surge protectors will protect you equipment from short surges during a thunderstom/severe weather. They WILL NOT protect against a long intense surge that is caused by a faulty house ground wire.

i know that some ps3 games are 720p for sure. my roommate has ps3 and on the back of the box it says what it is in and all the games he has say 720p on the back. i think you might be right about the 360 games though. but either way, i can't really tell that much of a difference between the two. unless you have a big tv, you can't really tell unless you are right up at the screen.

yep. ps3 does a lot of 720p for some reason.

i initially bought resident evil 5 for the ps3 and looked at the back of the box before leaving the store and saw it was 720p.

i immediately returned it for the 360 version that was 1080p

Naw, my mom talked to them and told them that My dad wanted the 46" version. They aren't giving them a blu-ray player now, but they never had one anyways so it's fine.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone ot there, surge protectors will protect you equipment from short surges during a thunderstom/severe weather. They WILL NOT protect against a long intense surge that is caused by a faulty house ground wire.

Only things that do are extended warranties. As far as blu ray players go, look in to the new Sony line up, if your parents subscribe to Netflix then get them a Samsung, all of those units have built in Netflix and Pandora streaming.

Just a question... has anyone tried to hook their computers up to an HDTV?

I'm thinking about purchasing a new HDTV (maybe 40-46") and looking into rigging it up to my computer. I don't want to use it for daily use, I have a desk and smaller LCD monitor for that, but I'm big into flight simulators and it would be nice to play it on a large screen. Large computer monitors almost double in price to comparable sized HDTVs.

The Panasonic Plasma sets are wonderful, even if the PX80U is last years model. This years comparable model would be the TC-42PX1. Another model to consider in LCD would be the Samsung LN40B530, that runs $799.99 regular price.

Yeah, its last year's model - and the base model, too. But it gets me into the Viera line that you and everyone like so much. Although - I just checked your TC-42PX1 recommendation and that is pretty affordable, too at about $730 right now through Amazon.

I notice the resolution is 1024x768 - though it's listed as 720p which I thought meant 1280x720. Is that normal? Or a typo?

The LN40B530 looks nice, too! A little over our price range but I can watch for sales. Another question, though: I'm reading this as "Go with a Panasonic plasma, but if you do get LCD at least get this one because it's on par." Is that about right?

My recommendation would be a projection TV...

A friend of mine has a projection TV in his basement. He set up a nice white screen on his wall and has a beautiful 106" image. It was absolutely crazy to watch HD NFL on that screen. I was staring at blades of grass. We played Crackdown on that thing, too. What a trip when you jump from roof-to-roof!

Unfortunately, I think our room is too well lit for a good projection image. And we'd need to get/make a screen since our wall isn't suitable.

IMO you should be fine as long as you get a Panasonic(my personal fav), Samsung, Sony, or if you're real lucky a Kuro. ... I prefer Plasmas over LCD because I like how my games play on them compared to my old LCD where I got a lot of motion blur during fast sequences.

I don't know anything about Kuro but judging on the prices at Amazon I am sure they're very nice. Hahaha.

As for the performance with games, that helps because I do play a fair bit on the Xbox 360. About to start up Prince of Persia, Saints Row 2, and the new Fable 2 DLC when it arrives - and it'd be nice to enjoy them on an HD set. I hated playing GTA IV on our TV and had to connect the Xbox to my computer monitor just to be able to make out the GUI details.

Love nothing more then my Samsung 40" 1080p LCD ... Why anyone would settle for anything less then 1080 when buying a hdtv is beyond me.

Is there a specific model on your Samsung? Is this the same LN40B530 model?

Also, I like the best quality I can get, too, but at this size and price (and watching DVDs and cable TV) I'm not going to set crazy expectations. If I have to upgrade in the future, I guess my currently-planned purchase can become a bedroom TV. :)

Goto www.sears.com. They have a samsung 780P 50" for 800 dollars. Its the biggest LCD you can get for that price. Awesome TV too.
That TV is a 2008 model and sold out now. The replacement is priced at 1099.99. AND its a Plasma not an LCD. Samsung's 2008 models had horrible burn in issues, I would not recommend that model.

OK. :)

Thanks to everyone, so much. I definitely appreciate this. Every review I read makes me not want to buy anything. They'll say "Great TV, but the blacks are green-ish." And I think, "how is that great? I don't want green-colored blacks." Hahaha. I like hearing, "I love my TV. It's a [blah] model," way better.

I'm reading this as "Go with a Panasonic plasma, but if you do get LCD at least get this one because it's on par." Is that about right?

That's pretty much what I am saying. If you go with plasma, Panasonic all the way. But if you go LCD, the best TV in your price range is that Samsung. Feel free to PM me with any more questions you have.

Alright, ill say this right now. You are going to get conflicting advice from pretty much every person. Some here say that 1080p isnt worth it, some live by it. Some are Plasma fan boys, some push LCD like no other. But the bottom line is what do YOU like. Just because we say Plasma's are amazing doesnt mean you should get one if you dont like the picture. Some people prefer the brighter picture of an LCD. Remember, its not us watching the TV every day, you have to. So get what you want to watch, all we can do here is suggest models for you to consider. In the end, the final choice is all yours.

Agreed. :)

I ended up going with the Samsung PN42B450. (PN is a designation for plasma, I guess. 42 is for the screen size. B is for the year (2009). And 450 is for Series 4, the base model.)

Got it last night and I love it. Stared long and hard at the similar Panasonic Viera right next to it. I'm sure it's a notch better - that's what I've been told - but I couldn't see any difference, and the $720.00 price on the Samsung was too good.

Wasn't too concerned about a drop-off, though - to be honest. The AVS Forums folk seem to like it. And Consumer Reports named the 550 (with 1080p being the only difference from my 720p 450) a top-3 on their plasma list.

I also gave LCD one last chance (love the brightness and clarity) but the 120hz refresh just don't work for me. Maybe I'll reconsider LCD some years down the road when the 240s are cheap and LEDs are king. :) For now, plasma is ideal. More like a normal TV to me.

I went into the situation thinking I'd slowly break in the new TV but Samsung relates babying a plasma to some sort of unsubstantiated superstition. They say no plasma maker since 2007 have said this is necessary. So instead I enjoyed a couple movies at normal, default settings and played a few hours of GTA IV, Fable 2, and Crackdown with game-mode settings (accelerated/brightness) enabled. Have been nothing but happy so far. :)

Thanks for all the advice and conversation everyone has had, in this thread and others, helping people like me buy a new TV. It's been the best of upgrades. No nagging glare in our bright room. The picture isn't too sharp or not sharp enough at 12 feet away. Looks great at extreme angles. Standard def TV is good, as are normal DVDs. And I like the built-in tuner for over-the-air digital HD broadcasts, too.

Archived