Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV.

ohioskinsfan

I bought a 42" "dynex" from best buy. It gets the job done and was about 1/2 the price of others with the same features. I'll take the savings over a "slightly" better picture any day of the week.

Cheap ****:D

I picked up one last night, seems good enough so far.

Did you get the 1080p?

Cheap ****:D

I picked up one last night, seems good enough so far.

Did you get the 1080p?

Yes.

I have some issues with it...like the response time of the remote control and sound from the speakers isn't great. But overall, I'm happy I didn't spend a grand on a TV. If it lasts me 3 years I'll be happy.

If it lasts me 3 years I'll be happy.

I'll take three yrs and 11 months then a full refund with the warranty;)

My old HDTV crapped out a month before the extended warranty was out,makes for a nice swap.

I have a Phillips universal remote that seems to speed it up a bit(and works most everything)

Once I adjusted the picture settings it looks great.

I'll take three yrs and 11 months then a full refund with the warranty;)

My old HDTV crapped out a month before the extended warranty was out,makes for a nice swap.

I have a Phillips universal remote that seems to speed it up a bit(and works most everything)

Once I adjusted the picture settings it looks great.

I think it looks great also. It's not a superset...it could be better. But you won't find anything comperable for the price I paid.

• 5 weeks later...

OK JMU Alum, I took your advice and went with the panasonic plasma:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-50-VIERA-Plasma-HDTV-TH-50PZ800U/sem/rpsm/oid/209541/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It got great reviews and the floor model looked amazing in the store.

I finally decided on Plasma because when I compared a Plasma next to an LCD the picture/color of the plasma blew away the LCD. Not to mention the further you move to the side of an LCD the more faded the picture became. No matter what angle you view a plasma at, it still looks amazing.

I would have gotten and LED, but don't have $6,500 to shell out for one, so this plasma will do just fine instead. Oh yea, its going in my basement btw and I can't wait!!!

OK JMU Alum, I took your advice and went with the panasonic plasma:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-50-VIERA-Plasma-HDTV-TH-50PZ800U/sem/rpsm/oid/209541/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It got great reviews and the floor model looked amazing in the store.

I finally decided on Plasma because when I compared a Plasma next to an LCD the picture/color of the plasma blew away the LCD. Not to mention the further you move to the side of an LCD the more faded the picture became. No matter what angle you view a plasma at, it still looks amazing.

I would have gotten and LED, but don't have $6,500 to shell out for one, so this plasma will do just fine instead. Oh yea, its going in my basement btw and I can't wait!!!

Damn dude, you got the THX certified version and everything. My model is the PZ85U and I've been about as happy as can be expected with it.

You definitely got a top-of-the-line plasma and probably the only models better might be some of the really expensive Pioneers.

Congrats on the purchase.

Damn dude, you got the THX certified version and everything. My model is the PZ85U and I've been about as happy as can be expected with it.

You definitely got a top-of-the-line plasma and probably the only models better might be some of the really expensive Pioneers.

Congrats on the purchase.

yea i was really close to getting the 85U on Sunday and probably would have if they had approved my credit right away. But since they didn't I went home and did research on the 800 series and people/CNET were saying how great it was. I figured it was a few hundred extra but it seemed worth it.

The 85U is definatley a great TV no doubt. Did you get the 46' or 50'?

The 800U's are amazing TV sets. It really upsets me when my customers count out Plasma TVs before even seeing them.

yea i agree. i wasn't even considering a plasma until i went to the store and compared a plasma next to an lcd. it was like night and day. not to mention it was in a brightly lit store..

ok this is a question for slacky and jmu alum and anyone else who has knowledge about burn in for plasmas

i'm getting the tv on friday and i've been reading about the burn in possiblities during the break in period

does this mean that i shouldn't play video games / watch anything with a fixed logo on the screen (i.e a football scoreboard) during the break in period?

and do plasma sets usually come with some kind of "break in" disk to play continuously to get through the break in period?

for the record, I went with a Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma, and I love it

as for burn in possibilities, new generation plasmas don't have that problem anymore. they even have specific modes that will move all pixels once or multiple times a session just incase. I play video games on it all the time and haven't had any problems

very happy with my purchase. only paid about 7 bills

ok this is a question for slacky and jmu alum and anyone else who has knowledge about burn in for plasmas

i'm getting the tv on friday and i've been reading about the burn in possiblities during the break in period

does this mean that i shouldn't play video games / watch anything with a fixed logo on the screen (i.e a football scoreboard) during the break in period?

and do plasma sets usually come with some kind of "break in" disk to play continuously to get through the break in period?

I really dont know much about break in on plasmas, we take our floor models right out of the box and put them up. No break in disk and i think they last pretty well considering that they run 12+ hours each day. As far as burn ins go, dont worry about it. The higher level Panasonics have anti retention filters.

I really dont know much about break in on plasmas, we take our floor models right out of the box and put them up. No break in disk and i think they last pretty well considering that they run 12+ hours each day. As far as burn ins go, dont worry about it. The higher level Panasonics have anti retention filters.

ok thanks. so you assume playing video games right of the box wouldn't be a problem?

Hey Slacky...

How can I get my older DVDs to display a full screen on my Sony 50 inch? That is so frustrating.

If there is no way to do it, I'll need to get a bunch of new movies on blu-ray I guess.

Thanks...

If you purchased nothing but 'full screen' DVD's for the past few years then you are kind of screwed as far as playing them in a decent looking aspect ratio.

I'm glad I decided to start collecting widescreen versions a few years back.

A lot of widescreen DVD's will still have letterbox's though depending on the aspect ratio - but they look a lot better.

Also, I was somewhat careful with my plasma for the first few days and ever since I've done a ton of gaming and what not on the set and haven't had any problems - the slight IR that does sometimes occur goes away immediately after a full screen image is displayed.

My boss wanted a good big TV, and it had to be there yesterday. So I found this one in stock locally and made the purchase. It's a Sharp LC 65SE94U 65" LCD. I know you guys like to hear about different models. I'll be going out and setting it up next week. I'll give you a review.

Have you seen this one Slacky?? Seems to be a pretty good TV, Sharp has some random banding issues, but no reports of it on this particular model yet.

Archived