Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8 sacks

Slateman

The problem is the middle of the line was built under Greg Williams to be run stuffers, and that is it

We still have the same personel on defense that we had under Gregg Williams, and he tended to use the linebackers a lot more to rush the passers.

Without doing that it exposes the middle of our line on passing downs.

If you watch the replays, Andre Carter and Jason Taylor are often BOTH getting around their man on the end, but because the middle of the line hasn't collapsed the pocket at all,(which forces the QB to go backwards directly into the DE's) All the QBs have been doing is taking 2-3 steps forward and it takes the DE's right out of the play.

Well we seem to be shutting down the run of late--not getting gashed like we used to. Maybe it's by design to an extent, although I'm sure Blache would like sacks if we could get them.
Oh, I agree our D is outstanding. I think we've been good for awhile against the run, and awesome in games like these. What they're doing on D is effective. Just nerve wracking to watch sometimes.

Our edge rush isn't too bad. Our biggest problem is we have no pass rush at all up the middle. I've seen Carter and others beat their man many times only to have the QB calmly step up and deliver throws.

Got to agree there.

To the person or persons who say we don't get pressure you're not watching the games or know what you're looking at. A lot of sacks? no, but pressures, batted passes, knock downs. yes. if a QB is uncomfortable and is rushing to get rid of the ball it's usually an errant pass or a possible int. I agree there isn't much push in the middle...with that said the D is playing well right now despite the lack of sacks.

I just think that maybe our strength shouldn't count on Springs be healthy. Our defense did well today, but also, Anderson sucked major ass. Seriously, we should have lost this game

WOW! Some people boy! Some people! LOL.................Why should we've lost this game?

RED06

I dunno. Part of it is the health of Taylor. He's been a bit nicked, as have the guys that were supposed to rotate in, such as Erasmus James and Rob Jackson (who got 3 sacks in preseason, if I remember correctly)

I think the other part is not sending enough blitzes, and not sending them in the right places. The fact is, usually if you're talking 4 big guys on 5 bigger guys, the 5 bigger guys are going to win. Blache needs to be smart, but a bit more creative, on his blitz packages. If they've got three receivers and their slot guy is a stiff, bring someone from the edge. Or bring Landry every ONCE IN A WHILE just to keep a guy rattled.

That said, we're causing more hurried throws and turnovers.

And...what's the important part? That's right, we're 5-2.

Don't get hung up on any stat except for that one.

I think this will bite us in the hindparts if we dont do something to correct it now.

We give QB sufficient time to throw. Yesterday Anderson was horrible or some of you might bail off the bandwagon again. Several dropped passes and overthrown balls. We can not survive a season with a lack of production in the sack department.

No one really cared about Brooks untill it cost us field position and the game. While were upbeat and winning we need to address this issue. I dont think JT is 100% but aleast he's making good reads and has several deflections. AC is disappointing. He had one sack last game, but that more of a coverage sack. He's not facing the same doubles this year. He needs to step his game up. Whats up with Wilson or James?

I agree that it is most likely Blaches system. Blache has been legendary for low sack totals. These guys didnt just "forget" how to get to the QB. Im not super concerned about it the way the D is playing, but it would be nice to get some turnovers to help our offense out.

I think this will bite us in the hindparts if we dont do something to correct it now.

We give QB sufficient time to throw. Yesterday Anderson was horrible or some of you might bail off the bandwagon again. Several dropped passes and overthrown balls. We can not survive a season with a lack of production in the sack department.

No one really cared about Brooks untill it cost us field position and the game. While were upbeat and winning we need to address this issue. I dont think JT is 100% but aleast he's making good reads and has several deflections. AC is disappointing. He had one sack last game, but that more of a coverage sack. He's not facing the same doubles this year. He needs to step his game up. Whats up with Wilson or James?

Good post. The goal is not to be 6-2 but to go deep in the playoffs, preferrably at home. In which case then yes, most likely we should talk about the lack of consistent pressure in a critical but balanced discussion. I think the OP ruined a good constructive critical post with his tone which just comes off as stupid after our 5th win of the season before Halloween.

Which is more important, sacking the QB or stopping the run? Philadelphia leads the league in sacks. But what did the Skins do to their DL? Right, 203 yds on the ground.

last year the Gmen lead the league in sacks...ended up winning the

SB...

2005 the Steelers were ranked 3rd and sacks and won it for them.

2004 the patriots won it, they were tied for 3rd.

2003 the patriots won it, they were ranked 6th

2002 the bucs won it, they were tied for 6th.

As you can see, with the exception of 2006 most of the superbowl champs ranked up there.

Pressuring the QB = good.

Archived