Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Skins use "Wildcat" offense w/ ARE??

CliffBattles

The Dolphins are doing this quite well, several times a game. We could try it, a couple times a game...taking the defense off guard. Makes the running game into 11 against 11 (as opposed to 10 against 11 w/ the QB out of the play).

A little "gimmicky," but the difference between Randle El and other teams that use a passing option for a RB/WR is that ARE doesn't necessarily have to throw it to a guy who is wide open (a fooled defense). ARE can have more than one option to throw it to, throw it short/medium/long, and get it to a guy who is open....not just completely uncovered. He was a QB.

Not a sword to live by....but another wrench you can throw at a defense to continually keep them on their heels.

Now flame away.

We could, but I think what we have is working just fine right now. I would rather not....but.....A new wrinkle here and there is always nice, and it would be great to have in the playbook in case of a 4th and 4 or something and he could have the run/pass option, you never know.

I cant believe no one has figured out how to stop this formation.

It's as easy as anything

Where is the quarterback?

Lined up as a split end. So send a linebacker over there, tell the other ten guys to stop the RB.

And have your LB BEAT the QB within an inch of his LIFE within five yards.

If they run it again, DO IT AGAIN. You can jam him, crack him, smack him beat him so long as you do it within the rules.

Chad Pennington comes off the line and stands there for the most part when Miami runs it. HIT HIM. KNOCK HIM SENSELESS. BUST HIM UP!

How many times before the coach decides he just can't afford to run this formation anymore? How many times before the QB decides he's had enough Wildcat?

~Bang

It's as easy as anything

Lined up as a split end. So send a linebacker over there, tell the other ten guys to stop the RB.

If they run it again, DO IT AGAIN. You can jam him, crack him, smack him beat him so long as you do it within the rules.

Chad Pennington comes off the line and stands there for the most part when Miami runs it. HIT HIM. KNOCK HIM SENSELESS. BUST HIM UP!

How many times before the coach decides he just can't afford to run this formation anymore? How many times before the QB decides he's had enough Wildcat?

~Bang

:applause:

I've been thinking this everytime I've seen ESPN go nuts about Miami's use of the formation.

When the Steelers did something like this, Big Ben got hit good a couple times and I don't think they used it that much.

It's as easy as anything

~Bang

Well, he can't grab the QB, 'cause then he'll get a flag.

He can't smack him to the head, or he'll get a flag.

If he tries to do anything remotely resembling a cheap shot, he'll get a flag (see Heyer, Stephon).

The QB is probably lining up as flanker, so it's not like he's right on the line, so contact isn't necessarily a given.

QBs are often just as big, if not bigger, than LBs. It could be embarrassing for the LB :).

The QB might be a mismatch for the LB and become a viable receiving option. How would you like to see Zach Thomas covering Campbell? Campbell has him by half-a-foot and is faster. Can you say play-action go route?

Any OC, seeing a defender isn't paying attention to a play, would take advantage of it in some way, shape, or form.

The Dolphins are doing this quite well, several times a game. We could try it, a couple times a game...taking the defense off guard. Makes the running game into 11 against 11 (as opposed to 10 against 11 w/ the QB out of the play).

A little "gimmicky," but the difference between Randle El and other teams that use a passing option for a RB/WR is that ARE doesn't necessarily have to throw it to a guy who is wide open (a fooled defense). ARE can have more than one option to throw it to, throw it short/medium/long, and get it to a guy who is open....not just completely uncovered. He was a QB.

Not a sword to live by....but another wrench you can throw at a defense to continually keep them on their heels.

Now flame away.

I think we did a little "wild hog" last year against Detroit with Clinton taking the direct snaps. I mean it would be an interesting little wrinkle to see thrown in there.

Well, he can't grab the QB, 'cause then he'll get a flag.

He can't smack him to the head, or he'll get a flag.

If he tries to do anything remotely resembling a cheap shot, he'll get a flag (see Heyer, Stephon).

The QB is probably lining up as flanker, so it's not like he's right on the line, so contact isn't necessarily a given.

QBs are often just as big, if not bigger, than LBs. It could be embarrassing for the LB :).

The QB might be a mismatch for the LB and become a viable receiving option. How would you like to see Zach Thomas covering Campbell? Campbell has him by half-a-foot and is faster. Can you say play-action go route?

Any OC, seeing a defender isn't paying attention to a play, would take advantage of it in some way, shape, or form.

To which I say "So What". If you're going to take a flag, break his neck.

There's plenty of ways to hit a guy without drawing a flag. Pummel his ribs, jam him in the throat, use your hand and drill him in the armpit of his throwing shoulder. Straight fingers into his guts. Get in close and sharply punch or knee him on the inner thigh or come down on it with your elbow. That hurts like crazy. 9 pounds of pressure breaks a collarbone, if he blocks take him down and try to land on it.

And seriously, if you're afraid of the big bad QB becoming a viable receiver, then defense is not your thing. No one who ever played defense is afraid of that. In fact, of all the guys reading this who played defense, I bet all of them had the same thought. QB out in a pattern? Throw it o him. Tee off on him. Leave him open for me to destroy. We salivate over that memory. If he's out blocking for a run, even better. Now i can do a whole lot of damage to him within the rules.

If any OC would take advantage of a guy not 'paying attention' to a play, he's going to have to do so without his starting QB. Or at least a starting QB who is good and beat up. And, understand there's two sides to that coin. He's making his QB vulnerable. So now I'M going to take advantage of that.

Defense does not fear the offense. Especially a QB split out wide. He's no match for a defensive player, especially a defensive back who is used to jamming guys who know what to do with a jam. A QB doesn't. He's going to get the snot knocked out of him.

~Bang

As someone who has took an interest in the "wildcat" (ie. Single Wing) offense last year for my youth football team..... and have spent this year purchasing as much information as possible on it - to expound on my knowledge - and speaking with well-versed head coaches.... I've taken a great interest in the story in Miami.

For one... you can't get ARE to run it. The key centers around a punishing RB -- the kind that runs between the tackles AND has good speed -- but is also a viable threat to throw the ball.... which gives the running back a variety of options. Also, there's the all-important blocking scheme for the offense :)

Portis is the only guy that can run it.... and although we've seen him throw a couple of times.... I don't think he's a legitimate weapon to run the plays effectively. Particularly throwing on the run.... which is how the RB is supposed to throw.

And Bang, I'm surprised that the Dolphins continue to utilize the plays with Pennington on the field. They should just sub him off altogether. But I think they're trying to take defenses by surprise.... which really isn't necessary because the offense is pretty sound.

The whole "spread" offense -- mostly used in NCAA football -- has it's origins from the Single Wing. What you need is just one good athlete who can run and occasionally throw. They've been doing it for years now.... in WVU (with Rich Rodriguez), Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma, and a whole slew of other top-ranked US colleges.

You might think it's gimmicky.... but if you actually study it.... it's probably the most fundamentally sound offense designed.

You're actually playing with all 11 men on the field... rather than with 10 where a QB just hands off. That extra blocker helps out :)

Tim Tebow won a Heisman with it.... and McFadden came in as a runner-up (and his backup was drafted in the first round).

The reason why Miami is using the formation is because their QB coach was in Arkansas last season :)

As someone who has took an interest in the "wildcat" (ie. Single Wing) offense last year for my youth football team..... and have spent this year purchasing as much information as possible on it - to expound on my knowledge - and speaking with well-versed head coaches.... I've taken a great interest in the story in Miami.

For one... you can't get ARE to run it. The key centers around a punishing RB -- the kind that runs between the tackles AND has good speed -- but is also a viable threat to throw the ball.... which gives the running back a variety of options. Also, there's the all-important blocking scheme for the offense :)

Portis is the only guy that can run it.... and although we've seen him throw a couple of times.... I don't think he's a legitimate weapon to run the plays effectively. Particularly throwing on the run.... which is how the RB is supposed to throw.

And Bang, I'm surprised that the Dolphins continue to utilize the plays with Pennington on the field. They should just sub him off altogether. But I think they're trying to take defenses by surprise.... which really isn't necessary because the offense is pretty sound.

The whole "spread" offense -- mostly used in NCAA football -- has it's origins from the Single Wing. What you need is just one good athlete who can run and occasionally throw. They've been doing it for years now.... in WVU (with Rich Rodriguez), Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma, and a whole slew of other top-ranked US colleges.

You might think it's gimmicky.... but if you actually study it.... it's probably the most fundamentally sound offense designed.

You're actually playing with all 11 men on the field... rather than with 10 where a QB just hands off. That extra blocker helps out :)

Tim Tebow won a Heisman with it.... and McFadden came in as a runner-up (and his backup was drafted in the first round).

The reason why Miami is using the formation is because their QB coach was in Arkansas last season :)

So, would you advocate using it with Portis taking the snap and handing off to Ladell or passing? Would you keep Campbell in or sub him out?

KC used a modified single-wing back in the mid-70s to some effect over a couple of games. I think the reason the Dolphins don't sub Pennington is that the single-wing is best defended by specific personnel packages which a pro-set T would kill. So by keeping Pennington in, you tend to prevent defenses from subbing in the packages or even calling the form that'd best stop the play.

Archived