Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sarah Palin Can't Name a Newspaper She Read or Supreme Court Case Besides Roe v Wade

Cooked Crack

For private enterprise?...I do not believe so.

How do you think the railroads got built?

The Kelo decision referenced a 100-year-old USSC decision, which ruled that it was Constitutional for the government to use imminent domain to seize land for the purpose of giving that land to a railroad, using the reasoning that a railroad would benefit the entire community.

For private enterprise?...I do not believe so.

http://volokh.com/posts/1214242957.shtml

Property Rights Three Years After Kelo, Part II - The State of the States:

Since Kelo was decided exactly three years ago, a remarkable 42 states have enacted new eminent domain reform laws - a more extensive legislative response than that generated by any other Supreme Court decision. By my count, at least five state supreme courts have issued decisions limiting takings under their state constitutions, including two (Ohio and Oklahoma) which held that Kelo-style "economic development" condemnations are forbidden under their state public use clauses.

Yes. Kelo brought to the forefront a problem that had been in the law for at least a hundred years. However, the legislative response does not demonstrate that the Supreme Court decision was wrong. It demonstrates that people now want to change that law. Which is fine.

Anyhow, she should have mentioned Kelo. Even if she didn't know the name, she should have said: "That rotten eminent domain decision!!" But she didn't.

How do you think the railroads got built?

The Kelo decision referenced a 100-year-old USSC decision, which ruled that it was Constitutional for the government to use imminent domain to seize land for the purpose of giving that land to a railroad, using the reasoning that a railroad would benefit the entire community.

Absolutely. Railroads were private enterprises. Kelo was not new law, not at all.

I would like to see someone ask her about something in her wheel house - some question about Alaska policy or politics - to see how she handles it.

Because it's unfair to call her stupid, which is different from being uniformed about certain issues.

Call her uniformed or unprepared, but stupid she is not.

Palin responds to questions like I used to BS my way through essay questions in high school. If you don't know the answer just spout off what you do know that's related, throw in a couple little buzz words but ultimately say nothing of substance and nothing that signifies you actually have any clue what you're talking about.

Bring on the debate!! (I have my drinking game ready!)

I would like to see someone ask her about something in her wheel house - some question about Alaska policy or politics - to see how she handles it.

Because it's unfair to call her stupid, which is different from being uniformed about certain issues.

Call her uniformed or unprepared, but stupid she is not.

Sure. But if no one has asked her such questions, the jury's still out on whether or not she's stupid, right?

I mean we can't just say she's NOT stupid. We just don't know yet.

But yes, definitely uninformed and unprepared.

Sure. But if no one has asked her such questions, the jury's still out on whether or not she's stupid, right?

I mean we can't just say she's NOT stupid. We just don't know yet.

But yes, definitely uninformed and unprepared.

Come on. I think the fact that she's been a capable mayor and governor is de facto evidence that she's a sharp person. To suggest otherwise is unfair.

However I think it IS fair to argue that she is unprepared to tackle national and international issues with the Inauguration 120 days away. That's more McCain's and the Republican Party's fault for choosing her than her fault.

But again, I would like to see her discuss issues she's been immersed in as a governor to get a better sense of her command of those issues. In other words, can she show me she's an Alaskan policy wonk?

Absolutely. Railroads were private enterprises. Kelo was not new law, not at all.

They are private ,but of critical national importance(especially in the day)and justifiable use of power.

There were other uses by cities and states as well,but the broad application in Kelo was a bit of a change.

Though in fairness it simply brought abuses of eminent domain to the publics attention I guess.

I believe the States should have to vote to grant rather than restrict use of it for private enterprise....not that they care what I think:)

btw seeing Bidens answer on the use of the commerce clause only only reinforces my opposition to the ticket and my doubts of his competence.:2cents:.

Palin responds to questions like I used to BS my way through essay questions in high school. If you don't know the answer just spout off what you do know that's related, throw in a couple little buzz words but ultimately say nothing of substance and nothing that signifies you actually have any clue what you're talking about.

Bring on the debate!! (I have my drinking game ready!)

Exactly. It's sad and painful to watch. The Supreme Court question...the look on Palin's face is priceless. Wow....:doh: Bring on Thursday night!

Come on. I think the fact that she's been a capable mayor and governor is de facto evidence that she's a sharp person. To suggest otherwise is unfair.

Granted, there's a LOT of spin out there.

But I've read that after becoming Mayor, of a town of 5,000 people, a town in which the Mayor is not in charge of the police, fire, or ambulance services (or the schools?), that within a year of her getting the job, the city council had to force her to hire a city manager to handle the day to day operation of the city, because she was too busy to handle it.

To agree with you I'd have to believe that there have never been any stupid people in high-ranking positions.

They are private ,but of critical national importance(especially in the day)and justifiable use of power.

There were other uses by cities and states as well,but the broad application in Kelo was a bit of a change.

The actual USSC Kelo decision simply ruled that it wasn't the Supreme Court's job to decide if a particular use was or wasn't in a community's interest, that that was the local government's job.

I really hated the decision, myself. Until some clever person on ES posted the actual decision, and I read it. (OK, I read the first few pages.) Then it made perfect sense.

IMO, the problem with Kelo wasn't the USSC decision, it was a crooked City Council. And, IMO, the correct solution was for all of them to get kicked out of office.

I've said this before but its really gotten to the point where I feel bad for her. Its pretty obvious she's in WAY over her head and probably didn't anticipate the fact she was going to be "put through the wringer" like this. I grimace when watching these interviews...If she's indeed brushing this off and continuing to be focused on working at the task at hand it's one hell of a testament to her character and toughness which I think she has plenty of; I find that aspect of her to be admirable. I'm a Democrat but she certainly has some characteristics that make you want to root for her. I, unlike many of the left wingers, do not want to see her crumble tomorrow night.

The actual USSC Kelo decision simply ruled that it wasn't the Supreme Court's job to decide if a particular use was or wasn't in a community's interest, that that was the local government's job.

I really hated the decision, myself. Until some clever person on ES posted the actual decision, and I read it. (OK, I read the first few pages.) Then it made perfect sense.

IMO, the problem with Kelo wasn't the USSC decision, it was a crooked City Council. And, IMO, the correct solution was for all of them to get kicked out of office.

The problem for me was they said that power existed for cities already unless restricted by state law,while I feel the state should have to grant it on a case by case instance instead....just goes against powers not granted imo.

Anyway back to the topic...:chug:

I'm a Democrat but she certainly has some characteristics that make you want to root for her. I, unlike many of the left wingers, do not want to see her crumble tomorrow night.

Yeah you want to root for her till you remember she's going to be a heart beat away from the presidency. Now if this was a Disney movie it would be a different story.

Mind naming a few?

Nice gams?

Archived