Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTblog: Mason couldn't master offense

Thinking Skins

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2008/Aug/31/mason-couldnt-master-offense/

Mason couldn't master offense

Marcus Mason, the kid from Georgetown Prep who led the NFL in rushing in preseason (admittedly the Redskins played an extra game) won't be coming back to Washington. He was signed to Baltimore's practice squad.

But apparently the Redskins weren't holding their final practice squad spot open to re-sign Mason, whom they cut on Saturday. A team source re-iterated coach Zorn's comments that Mason had made some mental errors in the preseason finale against Jacksonville. The team source said that Mason couldn't master Zorn's offense and wasn't a good enough special teams player to stick around for a second year on Washington's practice squad.

-- David Elfin

I don't know if he was slow or not, but he didn't impress on special teams and he didn't show up as a blockers. As a 4th RB you have to be able to contribute. Also, he was like 0-4 on 3rd/4th and short against the Jags.

Basically he's a 1st/2nd down RB. I would much, much, much rather use Portis or Betts on 1st or 2nd down.

He'd have made the team easily if the Skins weren't loaded with Portis and Betts. No offense to Rock, but Mason is a BETTER RB than Rock. Cartright beat him out because of his superior special teams play, and I totally understand this.

Mason has a much quicker first step than Rock, can make people miss in traffic, and has nifty cutback abilities. In a big game if both Portis and Betts were hurt, I'd take Mason over Rock anyday........I wish him well.

Running vs third teamers sure is impressive.. impressive like fumbling the opening kickoff straight to the Bills kicker.

So ask yourselves.. which role is he most likely to have if they keep him? Will he be a RB who is only used when the other team puts their backups in, or is he to be a kick returner with buttery fingers?

Sayonara Marcus.

~Bang

Running vs third teamers sure is impressive.. impressive like fumbling the opening kickoff straight to the Bills kicker.

So ask yourselves.. which role is he most likely to have if they keep him? Will he be a RB who is only used when the other team puts their backups in, or is he to be a kick returner with buttery fingers?

Sayonara Marcus.

~Bang

Thank You, Bang always the voice of reason.

People dont get it. A 3rd RB better be able to play forms of teams to make the team.

I think dfitzo nailed it, just a very tough roster to crack for RBs (including salary cap implications)...

but if true, I think that's a pretty bold thing to say, singling out MM for not mastering an offense that scored 13 points in the last 12 quarters...

Some of you guys sound like you're saying "the grapes were probably sour anyway." Just sayin'.

RB is a position where one can get by with a somewhat less than stellar knowledge of the playbook. That's why rookies are often able to step in at RB and contribute right away. If he can improve on his pass blocking skills, he'll probably find a spot in someone's RB rotation.

Mason is a guy who gives 110% on every play and just produces. Players like him are in far too short supply in the NFL so I refuse to hate on him simply because he's no longer with us.

I recall a play where Colt went back to seemingly hand off the ball, but Mason had taken off already. Looks like it was suppose to be a delayed hand off. Colt ended up with the ball and had to grip the ball and take the sack. It looked as if were Mason's fault.

Some of you guys sound like you're saying "the grapes were probably sour anyway." Just sayin'.

RB is a position where one can get by with a somewhat less than stellar knowledge of the playbook. That's why rookies are often able to step in at RB and contribute right away. If he can improve on his pass blocking skills, he'll probably find a spot in someone's RB rotation.

Mason is a guy who gives 110% on every play and just produces. Players like him are in far too short supply in the NFL so I refuse to hate on him simply because he's no longer with us.

Unfortunately for him we have 3 guys at the same position who give 110% on every play as well. If we had been hurting for RBs then he would have been a nice addition but he wasn't going to be in any kind of rotation so he better have something else to add and there is no way in hell he is in Rock Cartwright's universe as a ST player and he isn't anywhere near Portis or Betts in the ball carriers world. In the end he was a victim of numbers. We just don't have the need or the room for him. The Ravens only have two other running backs on their roster and one of them is dinged so he landed in a perfect place. For all of those who think he should have made the roster I ask, who would you cut to make room for a 4th running back that doesn't play teams? Billy McMullen was more deserving of a roster spot than Mason IMO.

People act like the Redskins have Super Bowl caliber depth at running back. They really need to draft a running back next year in the draft. Marcus, Scotland is behind you!

You don't think the Skins RBs are as good as the Giants, Patriots, Colts, or Bears? Those are the last 4 SB teams and I would take Clinton Portis over any of the 4 running backs that started in those two games and I would take Ladell Betts over any of the backups. RB is not our problem and hasn't been since 2003. Marcus Mason had a nice preseason but the other three guys on the roster have all done it when the bullets are truly flying. Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright both ended up with higher YPC than he did in the preseason and both played earlier in the game doing it.

The only way he was going to make the team was to be a strong ST player. As the 4th running back, he had almost zero chance to see the field on offense. In 2006, we brought in Duckett to be the #3 RB. Even with Portis out for the season, he only saw a handful of plays on offense. That's just for the #3 RB. For Mason to see some time, we'd have to have a major meltdown.

If the guy can't play teams as well, there is no point in having him on the team, no matter how well he ran.

Jason

Archived