Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTblog: Mason couldn't master offense

Thinking Skins

You don't think the Skins RBs are as good as the Giants, Patriots, Colts, or Bears? Those are the last 4 SB teams and I would take Clinton Portis over any of the 4 running backs that started in those two games and I would take Ladell Betts over any of the backups. RB is not our problem and hasn't been since 2003. Marcus Mason had a nice preseason but the other three guys on the roster have all done it when the bullets are truly flying. Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright both ended up with higher YPC than he did in the preseason and both played earlier in the game doing it.

No because the Redskins didn't sniff the Super Bowl. When they make it to the at least a NFC Championship the maybe there can be an argument.

The problem is, with roster numbers what they are, you're third and fourth stringers have to be able to contribute on special teams. If you're in a situation where you get to your 4th string running back, you're probably in trouble anyway. If you're not, you're probably able to go out and pick up someone right now who's a free agent and stick them in there and do about as well. I mean Mason looked good when he was in there, as far as explosiveness and such, but there are players like Shawn Alexander still out there that nobody has signed. A guy like Rudi Johnson was released, and while I think Mason could develop into a pretty good back, when guys aren't able to contribute somewhere, you're wasting a spot (unless you think you are either going to be blown out or blowing everybody out). You wonder if he picked up blitzes well, did he protect his QB, was he a good blocker, and several other things. The life of a running back doesn't just involve running. I guess my question is if there was some other good options, why did he end up going to Baltimore on their practice squad? I mean I fully expect him to end up on their roster, but let's not kid ourselves that he is going to be an all-time great or anything. Running back is considered a cheap spot in the NFL anymore. You can pick up someone late in the draft who is normally going to be as good as over half the feature backs. That's why they always talk about good value coming late in the draft with regards to backs.

Now if you want to argue the point that he deserved the spot more than some of the draft choices that were kept, I will not argue that. But I just don't think backs with his complete skill sets are that difficult to find. I could always be proven wrong.

It's always easy to look like a master when you're playing against the 3rd stringers who will be hired as garbage men, postal carriers and grocery baggers after they are cut.

given all that actually did take place, cutting mason was clearly the correct move. i would have liked to have seen him run the ball earlier in preseason games to see what he could do.

No because the Redskins didn't sniff the Super Bowl. When they make it to the at least a NFC Championship the maybe there can be an argument.

So because the Skins didn't make the NFC Championship that means every team that makes the Super Bowl has better runningbacks than us? So Eli is better than Peyton? Grossman is better than... Well I don't even need to finish that sentence. Runningback is one position where we're Super Bowl caliber.

That is such a weak arguement. You actually believe, or want us to believe, that the Redskins RB situation is the reason we did not go to the SB, or that since we did not go to the SB Portis and Betts are inferior to the RB's of the teams that have??? Weak sauce man...

:dance:

That's the best one I could find to represent "spin".

That's all that is.

Spin by the Redskins to explain why Mason was cut.

I'd love to ask that Skins source, Has Devin Thomas mastered this offense?

Just tell the truth, Mason was cut because of a numbers game. No need to further insult the man. People were all over Frost for "burning bridges" when he ripped Vinny, I want those same people to blast the Redskins organization for this unnecessary outgoing shot at Marcus.

J. Campbell can't master the offense either. Does that mean he will be cut?

Very appropriate that "Norv" is in your username.

Jimmy Johnson once cut a 3rd string linebacker for sleeping in a meeting. When it was pointed out by a reporter that Troy Aikman also slept in a meeting or two, he called the guy an idiot, and informed him of the difference between a first round pick QB and a backup linebacker.

I'd love to ask that Skins source, Has Devin Thomas mastered this offense?

:doh:

Honestly. Now I know why they have to put warning labels on hot coffee.

~Bang

That is such a weak arguement. You actually believe, or want us to believe, that the Redskins RB situation is the reason we did not go to the SB, or that since we did not go to the SB Portis and Betts are inferior to the RB's of the teams that have??? Weak sauce man...

Eh... I'm not sure if it's BS. The Giants' rushing attack was better than the Skins. Less attempts, more yards.

:bsflag:

So since the Giants won the Super Bowl that automatically makes them better at every position than every other team in the NFL that didn't make it to the Championship game? That may be the single dumbest argument I've ever seen. Barry Sanders never made it to a Super Bowl. Does that make Earnest Byner better than him because Byner won a ring and made it to a couple more Championship games?

Eh... I'm not sure if it's BS. The Giants' rushing attack was better than the Skins. Less attempts, more yards.

Well, Gee, do you think that might have something to do with their offensive line not missing a single game to injuries last year? :whoknows:

He'd have made the team easily if the Skins weren't loaded with Portis and Betts. No offense to Rock, but Mason is a BETTER RB than Rock. Cartright beat him out because of his superior special teams play, and I totally understand this.

Mason has a much quicker first step than Rock, can make people miss in traffic, and has nifty cutback abilities. In a big game if both Portis and Betts were hurt, I'd take Mason over Rock anyday........I wish him well.

Better RB? How? Just because a player can run does NOT make him a Running Back. There is much more to the offense than bulling your way for a yard or two.

There are skills tests daily, written tests, film study and on the field play. There are blocking drills, recieving drills, and running.

His blocking was suspect, special teams play was lacking, and rushing against the scrubs each game doesn't mean much. If he had made the final 53, do you think he would have ever set foot on the field?

So, AAA, you go ahead and take Mason.

Zorn, however, will take Rock.

:dance:

That's the best one I could find to represent "spin".

That's all that is.

Spin by the Redskins to explain why Mason was cut..

Yeah, that is what the Redskins do all day. Think up ways to spin why they didn't keep an undrafted player.

It is so important. :doh:

For all the talk of Mason being "slow", there is a lot of shortsightedness in this thread.

(1) Why is it a given that Mason was battling for the #4 RB spot? Is it not a possibility that the team could have moved Rock to FB and kept Mason as the 3rd runningback? Rock has experience as a FB, and this allows us to keep him as our KR and also keep Mason on the active roster. Further, why not keep Mason on the active roster if you're going to keep scrubs like Geisenger and Hamilton? Those guys aren't going to see the field on Sundays either, and they have a much lower chance of getting picked up by another team if we put them on the practice squad.

(2) Mason has performed against 1st stringers, just not this preseason. Last preseason he was our main runningback, and he played very early in one of the preseason games. He looked good. In fact, last year he looked better than any of our other runningbacks (in preseason). This year, he also looked better than any of our other runningbacks. And people who want to say he was bad at blocking...did you watch him block? Or did you just assume that because he isn't a seasoned vet that he couldn't block? I saw him pick up at least one blitzing linebacker this preseason...I don't think blocking it's possible that blocking is the reason we cut him.

(3) Special teams play - He fumbled one kickoff. So he's not gonna be our kickoff returner...you're telling me there's not one other job for him on special teams? The kid even admitted that he wants to get better on special teams, and realizes that's his most important contribution right now.

(4) Regardless of how you feel about any of the above, you have to admit that this is a pretty classless move by the Skins. This kid was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise piss-poor offensive showing. Every game, this kid was one of your top 2 or 3 performers. He's already gone - why pour salt on the wound like this? And it especially looks stupid when you say that your rushing leader, the one guy out there who looks good in your offense, made too many mistakes so you cut him. I, for one, hope Ladell and Clinton make a ****-ton of "mistakes" this year. PLEASE make the mistake of averaging 5+ yards per carry.

Yeah, that is what the Redskins do all day. Think up ways to spin why they didn't keep an undrafted player.

It is so important. :doh:

HAHA what's even more laughable is the Skins are trying to claim that we didn't even want him on our practice squad. So we wanted Tyler Ecker, Nemo Broughton, Byron Westbrook, Horace Gant (all of whom did either nothing, next to nothing, or in the case of Westbrook, less than nothing)...but we don't want Mason on our practice squad? Of course it's spin. It would have been one thing to say that he wasn't worth putting on the active roster - maybe I could buy that. But to say we couldn't waste a precious practice squad space because Byron Westbrook is waiting in the wings is too much.

For all the talk of Mason being "slow", there is a lot of shortsightedness in this thread.

(1) Why is it a given that Mason was battling for the #4 RB spot? Is it not a possibility that the team could have moved Rock to FB and kept Mason as the 3rd runningback? Rock has experience as a FB, and this allows us to keep him as our KR and also keep Mason on the active roster. Further, why not keep Mason on the active roster if you're going to keep scrubs like Geisenger and Hamilton? Those guys aren't going to see the field on Sundays either, and they have a much lower chance of getting picked up by another team if we put them on the practice squad.

(2) Mason has performed against 1st stringers, just not this preseason. Last preseason he was our main runningback, and he played very early in one of the preseason games. He looked good. In fact, last year he looked better than any of our other runningbacks (in preseason). This year, he also looked better than any of our other runningbacks. And people who want to say he was bad at blocking...did you watch him block? Or did you just assume that because he isn't a seasoned vet that he couldn't block? I saw him pick up at least one blitzing linebacker this preseason...I don't think blocking it's possible that blocking is the reason we cut him.

(3) Special teams play - He fumbled one kickoff. So he's not gonna be our kickoff returner...you're telling me there's not one other job for him on special teams? The kid even admitted that he wants to get better on special teams, and realizes that's his most important contribution right now.

(4) Regardless of how you feel about any of the above, you have to admit that this is a pretty classless move by the Skins. This kid was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise piss-poor offensive showing. Every game, this kid was one of your top 2 or 3 performers. He's already gone - why pour salt on the wound like this? And it especially looks stupid when you say that your rushing leader, the one guy out there who looks good in your offense, made too many mistakes so you cut him. I, for one, hope Ladell and Clinton make a ****-ton of "mistakes" this year. PLEASE make the mistake of averaging 5+ yards per carry.

1. If Geisenger and Hamilton are scrubs, according to you, and Zorn kept THEM........what MUST he think of Mason? Hmmmm.

2. He looked better than any of our running backs? He did? Wow. I am wondering why he is not now on the active roster of another team......much less ours. Our coaching staff.......along with the coaching staffs of the other 31 teams....must be nuts.

3. Wait. In paragraph 2, you stated he was a better back than any other on our team, so why in the world would he settle for teams?

4. Classless? A team cuts PLAYERS to get down to 53 and yet, because Mason is among them, they are CLASSLESS? Geez.

I wish Mason only the best. He is an UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT who had two pre seasons to unseat one of the current backs. He did not. The SKINS did not sign him this year to the practice squad. He was picked up by another team........to their practice squad. He will have other opportunities to show up the SKINS, so you should be happy in that thought.

(4) Regardless of how you feel about any of the above, you have to admit that this is a pretty classless move by the Skins. This kid was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise piss-poor offensive showing. Every game, this kid was one of your top 2 or 3 performers. He's already gone - why pour salt on the wound like this? And it especially looks stupid when you say that your rushing leader, the one guy out there who looks good in your offense, made too many mistakes so you cut him.

Classless?

You do realize this is football, right? And players that don't make it get cut.

Here's another fact, one i touched on in my first post.

The NFL is a nasty business. Players get maimed for your pleasure. They suffer life-long debilitating pain, AND on average they typically die at a relatively early age.

Teams renege on their money at the blink of an eye. Great players who give their all for the team are cast out and cut off without a second glance. The average career of an NFL football player is four seasons, and they will pay forit for the rest of their lives.

So while you're worrying and fretting over the 'classlessness' of cutting an undrafted rookie who didn't measure up for reasons we fans can only speculate on, you think about the REAL classless nature of the game itself.

Then decide if your delicate sensibilities can handle watching it any more.

My bet is you'll just ignore these realities and focus on this ridiculous notion that somehow Marcus Mason got shafted. The Redskins gave him a golden opportunity. He made the most of it, and since he couldn't fit here, he found himself a new home within 24 hours. Poor guy. Got himself a shot at an NFL career. I feel bad for him.

~Bang

Archived