Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTblog: Mason couldn't master offense

Thinking Skins

:bsflag:

So since the Giants won the Super Bowl that automatically makes them better at every position than every other team in the NFL that didn't make it to the Championship game? That may be the single dumbest argument I've ever seen. Barry Sanders never made it to a Super Bowl. Does that make Earnest Byner better than him because Byner won a ring and made it to a couple more Championship games?

The Giants backfield is deeper than the Redskins. Jacobs, Ward, Droughns and Bradshaw all contributed big time last season. I'm sorry to say that the Redskins backfield is just not that deep.

Classless?

You do realize this is football, right? And players that don't make it get cut.

Here's another fact, one i touched on in my first post.

The NFL is a nasty business. Players get maimed for your pleasure. They suffer life-long debilitating pain, AND on average they typically die at a relatively early age.

Teams renege on their money at the blink of an eye. Great players who give their all for the team are cast out and cut off without a second glance. The average career of an NFL football player is four seasons, and they will pay forit for the rest of their lives.

So while you're worrying and fretting over the 'classlessness' of cutting an undrafted rookie who didn't measure up for reasons we fans can only speculate on, you think about the REAL classless nature of the game itself.

Then decide if your delicate sensibilities can handle watching it any more.

My bet is you'll just ignore these realities and focus on this ridiculous notion that somehow Marcus Mason got shafted. The Redskins gave him a golden opportunity. He made the most of it, and since he couldn't fit here, he found himself a new home within 24 hours. Poor guy. Got himself a shot at an NFL career. I feel bad for him.

~Bang

This goes to both you and Blondie:

I do not think it is classless to cut a player. I do find it classless to cut a player, and then release this "na-na-na-boo-boo" statement about how he wasn't even good enough for our practice squad, and how he couldn't "master our offense". Please. The dude WAS our offense. There was no need to release a statement like this. In fact, what they had done up to this point (remain silent) was perfectly fine by me.

And I don't think I've seen anyone properly address the ridiculousness of us saying he wouldn't even make the practice squad.

I do not think it is classless to cut a player. I do find it classless to cut a player, and then release this "na-na-na-boo-boo" statement about how he wasn't even good enough for our practice squad, and how he couldn't "master our offense". Please. The dude WAS our offense. There was no need to release a statement like this. In fact, what they had done up to this point (remain silent) was perfectly fine by me.

And I don't think I've seen anyone properly address the ridiculousness of us saying he wouldn't even make the practice squad.

You make a statement saying Mason WAS OUR OFFENSE, and call something ELSE ridiculous?

I won't bother with you anymore. Statements such as that prove that old saying about removing all doubt.

Perhaps they released this statement due to the outcry of the fans who didn't understand why he was cut. Perhaps they felt we should have an explanation.

Course, it's on you to accept it. Obviously you feel they've lied, but for what reason, who the hell knows. After reading through this amazingly intelligent thread, it's obvious lots of folks think the Redskins just didn't like him, and cut him for spite. He's going to the Hall of Fame you know, and all just to piss us off. And to make matters worse, Jim Zorn and his evil cronies are right this very minute boozing it up and laughing at a picture of Mason's mother.

Here's a research assignment. Find out how many of those guys Mason ran through made their teams. I bet you find a good % of them got cut as well.

You're right of course. He WAS our offense in the preseason. This year's Sultan McCullough, our brand new Babe Laufenberg. He ran on scrubs, through holes that you gotta admit were pretty nice. He did run well, ran through some tackles, ran around others.

And he got cut.

Now, why would they cut him if he was such a great player? Are they just incompetent? They have no idea? Coaches who are right up close to him through the entire training camp, every practice, every OTA, every meeting, and even private conversations clearly can't see the value you saw from your TV set?

Come on now. He got cut. It's not some huge hush hush conspiracy to destroy the budding career of Marcus Mason.

Frankly, I am rather surprised he didn't make our practice squad. But, since he didn't, I have to believe it's something that they saw that I can't. His pass blocking was rather weak, and he did fumble an opening kickoff. My limitations of being a fan means I'm not privy to know everything, so I have to go on what they think.

And also, I'm very surprised Billy McMullen didn't make the team. I would rather see him that James Thrash out there. But again, I only watched on TV. Who knows why.

~Bang

Frankly, I am rather surprised he didn't make our practice squad. But, since he didn't, I have to believe it's something that they saw that I can't. His pass blocking was rather weak, and he did fumble an opening kickoff. My limitations of being a fan means I'm not privy to know everything, so I have to go on what they think.

And also, I'm very surprised Billy McMullen didn't make the team. I would rather see him that James Thrash out there. But again, I only watched on TV. Who knows why.

~Bang

Alright, there we go. I am also surprised that McMullen didn't make the team (he also leads the preseason in rec. yardage, btw). We couldn't put Geisenger on the practice squad and keep McMullen around for the first 4 or 5 weeks until Malcolm Kelly gets healthy?

And I think we've found the crux of your argument: the Redskins organization has more information than we do. And I think that we're just going to agree to disagree. Yes, I know that the coaches watch this dude in practice every day and I only see him play once a week. But to act like these guys are infallible is a mistake. I can see on TV that Mason is performing at a higher level than half of the rookies we kept. It irks me that we won't even offer him a spot on the practice squad.

Classless?

Here's another fact, one i touched on in my first post.

The NFL is a nasty business. Players get maimed for your pleasure. They suffer life-long debilitating pain, AND on average they typically die at a relatively early age.

Teams renege on their money at the blink of an eye. Great players who give their all for the team are cast out and cut off without a second glance. The average career of an NFL football player is four seasons, and they will pay forit for the rest of their lives.

~Bang

So true.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html

edit: one more

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/05/16/nfl-concussions010516.html

Man I don't totally buy this. This cat for what its worth leads all rushers in the NFL in preseason not knowing the offense? Yeah right. We've been down this road before. The Skins brass have said players aren't cutting it but cut it somewhere else. Yeah OK. I'll say it again I think our evaluators need to be evaluated. I mean the Skins have a track record of bad mouthing a player to justify a questionable move. Now if Mason goes on to flourish somewhere else, they'll say whatever this so called source from the Skins brass is saying. Rock Cartwright is OK on special teams but its not like he's Brian Mitchell, Mike Nelms or Otis Wonsley on teams. The last guy I named, some of you younger cats don't remember this wedge busting beast on teams. Bottom line is Marcus Mason is better than Rock Cartwright. Stevie Wonder can see this. I'm going off what I see in my own analysis. Its a moot point now. Whats done is done. But its like they're saying "who you gonna believe them or my lying eyes"? I know what I see. Mason couldn't do anymore to win the job.

Also why the hell isn't McMullen on this team? He obviously is familiar with offense. Anybody can see this. :2cents:

Man I don't totally buy this. This cat for what its worth leads all rushers in the NFL in preseason not knowing the offense? Yeah right. We've been down this road before. The Skins brass have said players aren't cutting it but cut it somewhere else. Yeah OK. I'll say it again I think our evaluators need to be evaluated. I mean the Skins have a track record of bad mouthing a player to justify a questionable move. Now if Mason goes on to flourish somewhere else, they'll say whatever this so called source from the Skins brass is saying. Rock Cartwright is OK on special teams but its not like he's Brian Mitchell, Mike Nelms or Otis Wonsley on teams. The last guy I named, some of you younger cats don't remember this wedge busting beast on teams. Bottom line is Marcus Mason is better than Rock Cartwright. Stevie Wonder can see this. I'm going off what I see in my own analysis. Its a moot point now. Whats done is done. But its like they're saying "who you gonna believe them or my lying eyes"? I know what I see. Mason couldn't do anymore to win the job.

Also why the hell isn't McMullen on this team? He obviously is familiar with offense. Anybody can see this. :2cents:

Bro, I'm right here with you. The Redskins releasing this statement was akin to them saying, "Hey...we're the REAL football gurus. Even though all you common folk saw Mason tearing it up in preseason, WE know that he actually sucked."

And let's not even make this a Mason vs. Cartwright debate. The article states that Mason would not even have been offered a spot on the PRACTICE SQUAD. The same practice squad that has Tyler Ecker, who has never even played a preseason game. The same practice squad that has Byron Westbrook, the guy who's been with us for 2 preseasons now and has yet to make a single positive play for us. And for all you special teams enthusiasts out there, Byron Westbrook has muffed at least one punt in his tenure with the Redskins.

The Redskins releasing this statement was akin to them saying, "Hey...we're the REAL football gurus. Even though all you common folk saw Mason tearing it up in preseason, WE know that he actually sucked."

Now you're beginning to catch on.

No matter what you think you saw, no matter what you think you know, they know a whole hell of a lot more.

One whole HELL of a lot.

~Bang

Bro, I'm right here with you. The Redskins releasing this statement was akin to them saying, "Hey...we're the REAL football gurus. Even though all you common folk saw Mason tearing it up in preseason, WE know that he actually sucked."

What statement did the Skins release? This is a Blog,with a "team source" as to where they're getting this info.You're reading way to much into this.

We did see Mason make some good runs.We don't really notice when he gets blocked on teams,or doesn't block his guy,or makes errors only the coachs see on game tape.

I can't believe the longest threads in the stadium are for a 4th string running back and a punter who is in the bottom half of the league.

Give it a few days. By Friday we'll be filled up with "Super Bowl here we come" threads or "we suck and will never win a game" threads.

They should change the name of this board from the Stadium to "Overreaction Central"

~Bang

Bottom line is Marcus Mason is better than Rock Cartwright.

Whether you believe he is a better runner than Rock is one thing. But how often do you expect your 3rd string running back to get in the game AS A RUNNING BACK. Now... If your 3rd string RB is also the kick returner, then they just might get in the game a little more often in moments that actually matter.

There is just a neverending supply of GMs on these boards that are much more qualified than our front office. It's too bad we've got to rely on the bozos we have. I mean, we could have Jesse Lumsden as our starting RB and Robert McCune as our beast MLB. That is an automatic championship right there...

The Redskins are idiots for letting Mason go. He's going to be a pro bowler for some team and we let him go. :doh:

Yet he couldn't make the active roster on any of the 32 teams in the league.....It seems that in order to make the pro bowl, he's gotta be on a roster, then get in some games....which he's not scheduled to do right now.

Archived