Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis on NFLNetwork, comments about Chad Johnson

Siven

I'm glad the trade didn't happen. For once, an NFL team put it's foot down. I'm sick of all these crybaby players demanding trades. Serve out your contract!!

Funny, do the players get to say the same thing when a team cuts them right before a bonus or big escalator?

I'm glad the trade didn't happen. For once, an NFL team put it's foot down. I'm sick of all these crybaby players demanding trades. Serve out your contract!!

What do you think about the NFL teams that asks players to take paycuts, restructures or that player will be cut? That isn't fair either is it? In those cases, why aren't they allowed to serve out their contract?

I would have loved to see CJ here just for the entertainment factor of him an CP together. It would have been priceless...

If CJ were to come here, "priceless" may not be the word to use. The price to watch CP and CJ together during interviews would have lots and lots of zero's attached to it. Im here to watch football, not Frick and Frack play dress up on Thursdays, and with that said, I believe in my heart of hearts that Cj would have been fun to watch at first. Then with age comes injuries and a desire to take it easy in the offseasons, maybe he would want another contract while here or would get into it with someone else in the lockerroom, ect ect. (We saw how he threw his QB under the bus in an interview on the NFL Network stating "Carson needs to mind his own business". We had that already with our high priced veterens. We went the economical route, the smart route and drafted two talented rookies with the potential to reach the accomplishments CJ has reached in his career thus far.

I dont think CJ was the element that would put us over the top and win us a Superbowl, so thinking like that is like thinking " If we get Bruce Smith, we are on our way to the SuperBowl" back in 2000. We learned from that mistake and did the right thing.

The funny thing is, i was lobbying left and right for CJ to come here when this all started. i was willing to give away our 21st pick and whatever else to get him. Then I saw how Boldin was handling the same situation, and became disenchanted with CJ. THEN, I witnessed how we went about our draft, and felt we did the right thing all along. We are in a better place right now without CJ.

Chad Johnson reminds me of one of those used tires you can get put on your car down on Rt.1 in Woodbridge. The only reason the tire is available is because the car he was on (Bungals) was in a wreck (contract dispute with CJ and the Shark) and he is now cast off the car, and because he still has some tread, and was a good tire in his day, he is still on the market looking to roll with another team.. er... car. So thats what he is. An older tire that has been in a wreck before, still has some tread left, but has cracks ( abbrasive personality, handles problems in the media) and will be on the market again at a reduced price.

The problem is, he still thinks he is a brand new Yokohama Z rated, when all he really is at this point is a used Firestone All Terrain.

What I mean is: Should we have thrown them a bigger bone. Or if the Bangles were dumb enough to reject the offer we did offer.

we threw too big a bone as it was. a 1st and a 3rd was a bit high but a conditional 3rd tthat could go to first well that would have been too much

Chad Johnson is good now but how will he mesh in our lockerroom and for a guy who could be a lockerroom cancer and is 30 years old i am glad to see that we have who we have.

What I find ironic about the ordeal,is we offered the same if not more to Boldin(arizona)...

2 Franchises that have never won anything....(cardinals do have 1 championship in their franchise)but they are the oldest team in football as well...

I can at least undertand the Cards for turning down the move as he is younger and quiet...But economically,might have been a good move for them...

But for the bengals to turn down a potential 2-first rounder for a guy who empties his trash to the media and who just had surgery and is 30+ in age is not a bad move.....It's flat out ridiculously stupid!!

Not only could they have made and set an example to that organization with the problems they have had with players...but they could have got 2 blue chip players to that organization to seriously help them...

They could have replaced him with Sweed,Kelly or Thomas with our 21st pick....(or a O-lineman)

Then be set in 09' with 2-first rounders to build on,while Chad is here in DC having reconstructive surgery...and rehabilitating..

There are bad moves like archuleta and brandon Lloyd type moves....

Then there are "set your team back 5 year type non-moves" like what the bengals have done...Marvin Lewis should be fired just for this reason alone!!IMO...

This move may have saved our franchise and Zorn's career and future here and very few realize it..!

Clinton, Santana, and CJ are all good friends. Clinton seems to have alot of pull in the redskins organization. From whats been said he was a big reason we ended up drafting Sean Taylor and I'm sure he had some input in us trading Coles for Santana Moss. Dan and Clinton seem to have a good relationship and Gibbs seemed to love him.

I'm really glad the Bengals did shoot this one down. At first I was kind of excited at the probability of the trade. But to give up 2 first round picks for a guy with question mark character would have been too much. We drafted two high potential receivers who will cost way less...and we have a first round picks for the next 2 years. I think the no trade will work out much better for us.

oh man I knew when I clicked on this thread that it would turn into a re-hash of how stupid it was for either the Redskins to offer or the Bungels to refuse to give up CJ.

Why does CP get to lobby for players? I'm just curious. I guess he knows who can play and who can't but shouldn't our scouting department/GM ie Vinny be doing that? I know he is and does but back to my original question, why does CP feel that he can lobby Dan Snyder for who comes in?

i feel bad for the 50% of extremeskins posters who already bought their burgundy and gold chad johnson jerseys. they'll go on the pile with their robert mccune hall of fame t-shirts i suppose.

Exactly. Half this board was defending the insane offer before the Bengals did something even more insane and turned it down.

Actually it was:

"The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first-rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said."

Well I'd say that for him to even be worth the 1st and 3rd he better catch 80 for 1200 yards and have 10+ TD's.

So for him to be worth the 2 picks would probably be enough for it to be 2 firsts since I doubt the numbers were 120 catches for 1500 yards or anything.

No way one player is worth 2 firsts unless he's by far the best at his position. Jerry Rice in his prime, or Marino after 1984 would have been worth 2 firsts but not a WR who is very good but also probably wont even be in the NFL in 4-5 years.

Archived