Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis on NFLNetwork, comments about Chad Johnson

Siven

No real surprise here, I can see CP and CJ being good friends.

CJ's better side is a fun loving outgoing guy and seems very similar to Portis.

Plus CP is an offensive guy, I'm sure he'd love to have one of the best WRs in the league to make the safeties back off a little bit.

Oh and would it really have been that surprising if Vinny and Danny had made that move? I mean thats been their MO for so long, I'm sure Portis thought they would get it done.

Oh and would it really have been that surprising if Vinny and Danny had made that move? I mean thats been their MO for so long, I'm sure Portis thought they would get it done.

Danny did make that move. The Bengals shot it down. We'll see who comes out looking smarter after the season is over.

No big surprise here, I've heard that Portis and Johnson are really good friends and Portis has always been about trying to assemble his crew into Washington.

On a side note, I prefer having Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas here. ;)

Danny did make that move. The Bengals shot it down. We'll see who comes out looking smarter after the season is over.

Eh, we probably won't know until 3 or 4 years down the line. If Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly turn out to be beasts, and our first round pick next year develops into a solid starter, we're much better off. However only time will tell. :2cents:

Two 1st round picks was too much if you ask me, how much bigger do you want the bone to get?

Actually it was:

"The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first-rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said."

Actually it was:

"The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first-rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said."

Still, I bet he would meet those performance levels and we would lose two first round picks.

Not worth it if you ask me, considering CJ doesn't have much time left in the league.

Still, I bet he would meet those performance levels and we would lose two first round picks.

Not worth it if you ask me, considering CJ doesn't have much time left in the league.

Not even if those performance levels equaled the Super Bowl??? I think Johnson has more time in the league than you may think. He's going to surpass TO at least and Owens still got his bonuses :2cents:

its amazing how bad the bengals look for turning this down.

While it is admirable to see Cincy stick to its guns, i feel it is a bad move on their part. I appreciate Cincy saving ourselves from ourselves, because what we offered was too much to give to a player who handles his "in house" business, in the media. Cincy could have made out like the Hamburgler with our 2008 draft and decided to stick it to a malcontent player and not give in.

This doesnt punish CJ the most though. The real losers in this arguement are Carson Palmer, Housh, and the rest of the team. Its a lose/lose situation for them. At this point, not only do they lose their star WR (CJ to have ankle surgury, and has already thrown his QB and teammates under the bus), but they lose the draft pick(s) they could have had and used on O-linemen to help protect Carson and open up lanes for Rudi, or D-linemen or DB's to sure up their secondary and D-line. Palmer lost a star weapon (albeit a loud and self centered one) and got nothing in return.

Admirable to stick it to a star that thinks that because "The Shark" is his agent, he can get whatever he wants... Admirable, but not wise.

I don't think he would have and that's probably why the Bengals rejected it. There has been too much change here. We have a new coach with an entirely new offensive system that everyone has to learn and get comfortable in. You then add in the fact that he'd be playing with a QB who has started just over a season's worth of games. In order to give up two first round picks, I'd imagine that the required performance levels were pretty substantial. I don't think Chad would have done it here under those conditions in an offensive system that he's never played in.

Also, was the third conditional based solely on the fact that it could become a first or was it possible for them not to receive even that?

If the Bengals really believed that they could have gotten two firsts from the Skins I think they would have jumped on the deal.

Archived