Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DirectTV or Cox Cable?

Redd

Hi guys I was just looking at my last Cable bill and it came up to $92. I think they're charging me to much but I'm not to sure. Now I see all these ads about Direct TV for less and I'm thinking about switching. How is it for anyone living in the Hampton Roads area and how much do you usually pay for HD and DVR access?

I went to some website and I'll get a free Ipod shuffle and with everything added up the site said it would be about $60.95 for 3 TVs for the first 3 months. Okay say I don't want all the premium channels except maybe HBO, would they charge me for cancelling after the 3 months are over?

Oh and I already tried Dish Network but the technician said the Trees blocked the HD access. I called Direct TV and they said they've got 16 satellites to Dish's 5 so the trees probably won't be a problem.

Oh and I plan on keeping my high speed internet with Cox since it's only $36 dollars a month and there's no Verizon Fios in my area. So say I did switch would Cox cancel my high speed or worst case scenario raise(god I hope not) my internet bill?

Any advice would help so I want to know your experience with Direct TV, and thanks.

Everything I've heard about Cox has been bad.

I have Dish Network, I would prefer DirecTV but its more expensive :(

Yeah I tried to get Dish Network last year since I rarely watch TV anyway but they said the Trees blocked the HD channels. Hopefully I can get Direct TV so I can finally FINALLY get the Sunday Ticket!!!!

We have Verizon FIOS and would never consider anything else. The internet is lightning fast, they have no dispute with NFL Network( unlike many cable companies) and offer that with the basic package, and the picture is crystal clear even without an HD TV.

We have Verizon FIOS and would never consider anything else. The internet is lightning fast, they have no dispute with NFL Network( unlike many cable companies) and offer that with the basic package, and the picture is crystal clear even without an HD TV.

My only complaint right now is the lack of HD Channels available currently. Supposedly they are adding almost 100 by the end of the year, but we will see how that goes.

:( Yeah I tried them in the afternoon, unfortunately they dont have the FIOS package in the 23454 area. So they tried to sell me a phone plan only............lame.

Don't listen to these people.

Cox Cable is amazing. I have no problems with it.

It's not like I hate Cox Cable no far from it. It's just I think they're overcharging me for one HDDVR box in the living room and Basic cable in two other rooms. I only have the Starz package and they charge me $92 dollars for all that.

Now I look at the Direct TVHD package that I'm interested in for three rooms and it only cost $60.95 , or at least that's what it says.:rolleyes: Maybe I can get Cox to give me HD in all the rooms for $60 but I doubt they'll budge since I'm only one customer.

It's not like I hate Cox Cable no far from it. It's just I think they're overcharging me for one HDDVR box in the living room and Basic cable in two other rooms. I only have the Starz package and they charge me $92 dollars for all that.

Now I look at the Direct TVHD package that I'm interested in for three rooms and it only cost $60.95 , or at least that's what it says.:rolleyes: Maybe I can get Cox to give me HD in all the rooms for $60 but I doubt they'll budge since I'm only one customer.

It's different for me. I only have one room hooked up to cable.

It costs me $81 a month with a HD DVR, all channels and HBO/Starz.

I prefer them because I can have my internet and cable on the same bill.

Yeah I do love the High Speed Internet of Cox. 5mbs of speed for only $36, still I think that's alot of money you pay for just one room with Starz/HBO. That's the reason why I want to know what people usually pay with Direct TV if they only say want HD, DVR, and the HBO package?

They don't charge for basic service (direct from wall to set), only the one time installation fee.

Not sure what services you have but these are approx prices

HD DVR $21.92

Starz $14.00

Limited/Expanded $45

HSI (internet with preferred speed) $41

*oh and don't forget the franchise fee's and local goverment charges & taxes*

I have Cox. I can't really complain, wish they had more HD channels but they are coming along.

I have:

Basic, digital gateway and HBO

15 mb internet

Local phone (just the minimum with nothing except call waiting)

HD DVR and SD DVR

I pay: $200 a month for all of that.

I think it's a little excessive and think I'd get a better deal with FiOS if it were available in my neighborhood. Right now Cox is the best though because I don't think I could get a signal with DirecTV where my apartment is situated.

I use to have DirectTV.....Dish is 10x better. I have 250+ channels with HD package, HBO. All for a whopping $65. The only downfall to dish is the sunday ticket, but I can careless cause most Sundays i'll be at fedex anyways.

I use to have DirectTV.....Dish is 10x better. I have 250+ channels with HD package, HBO. All for a whopping $65. The only downfall to dish is the sunday ticket, but I can careless cause most Sundays i'll be at fedex anyways.

See this is what I'm talking about.:notworthy I can handle $65 a month as long as I got HBO or the Starz package. How many rooms has all that stuff you have?

They don't charge for basic service (direct from wall to set), only the one time installation fee.

Not sure what services you have but these are approx prices

HD DVR $21.92

Starz $14.00

Limited/Expanded $45

They're either charging me for the extra socket or maybe the digital signal. All I know is that they're charging me twice.

HSI (internet with preferred speed) $41

Well I lucked out here. I only pay $36 for 5mbs with powerboost. Plan on keeping it too because of the price.

Look also at the tiers your subscribed to, they can add up if you don't know about them. Discovery tier, sports tier, etc.. you can always call cust. service and remove them. Alot of them are $15+ a month. Hopefully you own the modem and are not renting it (a $15 fee)

I have 3 digital, 2 dvr's, unlimited phone, Premier speed hsi for $40 a month

(then again I've been working there for the past 15 years) ;)

But check with cust. service, they also have bundle deals, promotions where you can get this that and this for dirt cheap for 3 months etc.. (if you do that do not forget to call them before the 3 months is up and cancel what you don't want, otherwise the price gets jacked up)

See this is what I'm talking about.:notworthy I can handle $65 a month as long as I got HBO or the Starz package. How many rooms has all that stuff you have?

They're either charging me for the extra socket or maybe the digital signal. All I know is that they're charging me twice.

Well I lucked out here. I only pay $36 for 5mbs with powerboost. Plan on keeping it too because of the price.

I have one HD receiver (DVR) which controls my big screen downstairs and 1 tv upstairs. Doesn't matter how far the TV is from the receiver either so if you get a DVR you can chose what (2) tv's you want to have on DVR. Then I have 1 regular (None HD) receiver which also controls 2 tv's. Dish has more HD channels than Direct as well. Clarity is exactly the same as Direct as well. I have 6MB DSL(Frontier), 2 phone lines(Frontier), and my dish all for the whoping $149. My price is so cheap cause you get discounts. If you connect the receivers to phone lines, you get -$10 off your bill.

Okay thanks for all the advice guys. Seems from reading this if I could I should get the FIOS but since I can't get Direct TV. So I'm calling them now to see if they can set it up, hopefully I have better luck than Dish because of the trees.

Archived