Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon (with aerial pics)

#98QBKiller

Damn I wonder what they thought that airplane was...a giant bird? They are trying to shoot it down with bow and arrows in the first pic.

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/05/30/brazil.tribes/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

(CNN) -- Researchers have produced aerial photos of jungle dwellers who they say are among the few remaining peoples on Earth who have had no contact with the outside world.

Taken from a small airplane, the photos show men outside thatched communal huts, necks craned upward, pointing bows toward the air in a remote corner of the Amazonian rainforest.

The National Indian Foundation, a government agency in Brazil, published the photos Thursday on its Web site. It tracks "uncontacted tribes" -- indigenous groups that are thought to have had no contact with outsiders -- and seeks to protect them from encroachment.

More than 100 uncontacted tribes remain worldwide, and about half live in the remote reaches of the Amazonian rainforest in Peru or Brazil, near the recently photographed tribe, according to Survival International, a nonprofit group that advocates for the rights of indigenous people.

"All are in grave danger of being forced off their land, killed or decimated by new diseases," the organization said Thursday.

Illegal logging in Peru is threatening several uncontacted groups, pushing them over the border with Brazil and toward potential conflicts with about 500 uncontacted Indians living on the Brazilian side, Survival International said.

Its director, Stephen Cory, said the new photographs highlight the need to protect uncontacted people from intrusion by the outside world.

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Cory said in a statement. "The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct." video.gifWatch what members of the tribe look like ยป

The photos released Thursday show men who look strong and healthy, the Brazilian government said. They and their relatives apparently live in six communal shelters known as malocas, according to the government, which has tracked at least four uncontacted groups in the region for the last 20 years.

The photos were taken during 20 hours of flights conducted between April 28 and May 2.

They are Tainos Indians. They really dont want nothing to do with the world. The Amazon is too big to be found. All they going to do is pack up and move to a new location within the amazon. Almost every Latino came from the Tainos bloodline.

That picture looks like a clip from an old Gilligan's Island rerun or something. Wonder if they're really the innocents we figure they are? IMO people are people even if they're in the middle of the rain forest "uncorrupted" by us. Bet their family life would put the FLDS in tejas to shame. That's just a guess though. :)

They are Tainos Indians. They really dont want nothing to do with the world. The Amazon is too big to be found. All they going to do is pack up and move to a new location within the amazon. Almost every Latino came from the Tainos bloodline.

not all....south america was very inca heavy...and even before there were plenty of pre inca tribes

Just look at them...they obviously need to be converted.

I'm shocked and appalled! :mad: Conversion without the exploitation part of the puzzle leaves the job only half done.

Oh, if you're going to drop anything on them it should be some suntan lotion. They look a little "overdone".

I'm shocked and appalled! :mad: Conversion without the exploitation part of the puzzle leaves the job only half done.

Oh, if you're going to drop anything on them it should be some suntan lotion. They look a little "overdone".

Not funny!

Not funny!

I dunno, I lol'd :)

Lighten up folks, people are just joking around. Unless you seriously think Yusef is chartering a plane to go drop suntan lotion on their heads, you shouldn't waste your time getting angry.

BTW, it looks like one of them is wearing a Patriots XLII Champs t shirt

I would love to see some closer up pictures. What's up with their color? The two with bow and arrows look red (I'm guessing some kind of paint all over their bodies) and the one in the background is like construction paper black. Weird.

EDIT - put the picture up:

2008_05_30t092104_450x306_us_brazil_tribe.jpg

Yes, because you know it hurt the Waodani so much.

So you would support going in there and interfering with them...to what end? They have obviously done well for thousands of years and appear to self sufficient...why bother them?

I would love to see some closer up pictures. What's up with their color? The two with bow and arrows look red (I'm guessing some kind of paint all over their bodies) and the one in the background is like construction paper black. Weird.

EDIT - put the picture up:

2008_05_30t092104_450x306_us_brazil_tribe.jpg

Are they trying to shoot the plane?

:laugh:

Archived