Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon (with aerial pics)

#98QBKiller

Hey zoony - don't you think Jared Diamond wets his pants reading news reports like this? This is probably Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's all rolled in to one for him.

You gotta admit, it would be very interesting to see what kind of customs, technology, religion, etc. they have developed. Problem is, if they so much as shake hands with a white man, they'll probably drop dead on the spot from bacterial infection.

I hope if some scientists do go down there they wear ET suits and bring lots of hand sanitizer. :)

And I know folks are joking in this thread, but what this tribe has to fear from missionaries -vs- what they have to fear from scientists is the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing one. After all, who snapped these pictures to begin with?

I can pretty much guarantee that there's some folks planning an expedition as we speak... and I'd be willing to bet anyone that they're not missionairies ;)

I figured - but zguy was talking about being a missionary. Personally, I think we should just leave them the hell alone.

I agree. Just because they look unhappy, dirty, and impoverished to us does not mean that they are. The last thing that they need is some "enlightened" person to come around and start telling them how it "really" is. The whole thought of a tribe that is living in harmony with the ecosystem that they are a part of being "taught" the ways of the world sickens me.

You gotta admit, it would be very interesting to see what kind of customs, technology, religion, etc. they have developed. Problem is, if they so much as shake hands with a white man, they'll probably drop dead on the spot from bacterial infection.

I hope if some scientists do go down there they wear ET suits and bring lots of hand sanitizer. :)

And I know folks are joking in this thread, but what this tribe has to fear from missionaries -vs- what they have to fear from scientists is the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing one. After all, who snapped these pictures to begin with?

I can pretty much guarantee that there's some folks planning an expedition as we speak... and I'd be willing to bet anyone that they're not missionairies ;)

I think what a lot of people have a problem with is what highplains is saying. NOBODY wants to see them die, but most people think scientist would go in and observe and maybe try to heal the physically sick. Non-religious folks look at missionaries as messing with their beliefs/heads and that seems somewhat vulgar. I realize its a sticky situation because Christians believe they are commissioned by God to spread the word and they (usually) honestly feel they are doing good. I don't think there is really an easy answer.

The whole thought of a tribe that is living in harmony with the ecosystem that they are a part of being "taught" the ways of the world sickens me.

Make no mistake, if they needed to destroy the ecosystem in order to further their survival, they would. This isn't a New Englander writing reflective essays next to a pond in the woods, this is a band of humans doing whatever necessary to survive.

Just because they lack the technology and/or resources to have a larger environmental footprint doesn't mean they wouldn't, or have some sort of inherant moral objection to it.

I think what a lot of people have a problem with is what highplains is saying. NOBODY wants to see them die, but most people think scientist would go in and observe and maybe try to heal the physically sick. Non-religious folks look at missionaries as messing with their beliefs/heads and that seems somewhat vulgar. I realize its a sticky situation because Christians believe they are commissioned by God to spread the word and they (usually) honestly feel they are doing good. I don't think there is really an easy answer.

There's never an easy answer... but interference is interference no matter what. No cause is more inherently noble than another.

That said, imo, "interfering" with this tribe doesn't make me ill/sick at all. It's just the way of things. Since the beginning of time. More advanced civilizations swallowing up those that are less advanced... or at a minimum imposing their culture/technologies/disease.

It would do no more good to get upset at this idea than it would for the passage of time. The strong survive, the weak don't.

Make no mistake, if they needed to destroy the ecosystem in order to further their survival, they would. This isn't a New Englander writing reflective essays next to a pond in the woods, this is a band of humans doing whatever necessary to survive.

Just because they lack the technology and/or resources to have a larger environmental footprint doesn't mean they wouldn't, or have some sort of inherant moral objection to it.

Don't be so sure about that, they don't look Caucasian to me. ;)

You seem to be the one making the mistake. Many natives cultures respected nature. The reasons they didn't slaughter and chop down everything in sight is out of that respect not lack of ideas. Doesn't take a great deal of brilliance to realize you can kill every animal and sell it's skin - it does however take a lot of arrogance and no forward thinking to speak of.

Care to elaborate?

Not too much but...It is MY PERSONAL OPINION that the white man has been consistent in one thing though out history. And that is spreading disease and wiping out other people with little to no thought as to the impact on the cultures or local ecosystems. Sometimes they think they are helping to educate or enlighten spiritually, and other times they were just clearing out the "savages". Being a white male, I am often embarrassed as I hear people talk of "sending people back to Africa or Mexico" when truthfully, it is the whites who have consistently invaded and taken over indigenous peoples lands.

The idea of a people scraping by on what nature provides to them is romantic to me, and I truly hope that people will someday come to a place where they can be intrigued by other cultures and learn from them instead of trying to actively change them for what they perceive to be better.

That is all. :)

I guess if murdering themselves (women and children included) into extinction is a culture and heritage you want to hold on to...

There is this notion that culture is worth holding onto. I've never understood it personally. Culture and tradition are great if they are generating positive results. If however they aren't serving the people be rid of it and change for the better.

Not too much but...It is MY PERSONAL OPINION that the white man has been consistent in one thing though out history. And that is spreading disease and wiping out other cultures with little to no thought as to the impact on the cultures or local ecosystems. Sometimes they think they are helping to educate or enlighten spiritually and other times they just were clearing out the "savages". Being a white male, I am often embarrassed as I hear people talk of "sending people back to Africa or Mexico" when truthfully, it is the whites who have consistently invaded and taken over indigenous peoples lands.

The idea of a people scraping by on what nature provides to them is romantic to me, and I truly hope that people will someday come to a place where they can be intrigued by other cultures and learn from them instead of trying to actively change them for what they perceive to be better.

That is all. :)

Ah, Rousseau's noble savage.

I'm more a Hobbes guy myself. Life for these people is most likely nasty, brutal and short. Not much romance about it.

But at least they're energy independent.

Ah, Rouseau's noble savage.

I'm more a Hobbes guy myself. Life for these people is most likely nasty, brutal and short. Not much romance about it.

But at least they're energy independent.

I would agree with this. However, this does not mean they are unhappy. On the other side of the coin, they probably have a very tight family unit (no sending grandma off to slowly waste away in a small room at the nursing home) are very spiritual, and are generally happy. One thing about life is, it is a tragedy, even if you are clean, compassionate, and long lived. Sooner or later, you cease to exist, leaving a space for the next individual.

Archived