Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Girls Tanning On Tracks Struck By Train

Stophovr6

Good grief....:doh:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16414128/detail.html

LEBANON, Maine -- Authorities say two teenage girls apparently sunbathing on a railroad trestle were struck and seriously injured by a freight train in Lebanon, Maine, on the New Hampshire border.

Police Chief Mark McGowan in Milton, N.H., says the engineer sounded the horn and tried to stop but the train struck the 13- and 14-year-old girls late Wednesday morning. McGowan tells Foster's Daily Democrat the girls were sunning themselves on the tracks and may have fallen asleep.

Lebanon Fire Chief Skip Wood said both girls suffered amuptation injuries. The newspaper says one of the girls lost a leg and the other will likely lose a foot.

Good grief....:doh:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16414128/detail.html

LEBANON, Maine -- Authorities say two teenage girls apparently sunbathing on a railroad trestle were struck and seriously injured by a freight train in Lebanon, Maine, on the New Hampshire border.

Police Chief Mark McGowan in Milton, N.H., says the engineer sounded the horn and tried to stop but the train struck the 13- and 14-year-old girls late Wednesday morning. McGowan tells Foster's Daily Democrat the girls were sunning themselves on the tracks and may have fallen asleep.

Lebanon Fire Chief Skip Wood said both girls suffered amuptation injuries. The newspaper says one of the girls lost a leg and the other will likely lose a foot.

Amazing. :dunce:

I smell a lawsuit. Train company should have known that railroad trestles would be attractive sunbathing spots to children who don't know any better.

Sadly enough you're right. Those two kids will get some heavy cash.

**** that. If they sue and get anything out of it, I'm suing them for making America dumber.

I think the Railroad company should sue them for slowing down their train.

This made me think of an IRC quote I saw the other day:

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Sadly enough you're right. Those two kids will get some heavy cash.

I was only kidding. I would be shocked if they got anything, unless they can prove some important safety mechanism wasn't functioning.

Each state has different laws about what you can and can't recover in a tort action when you are at least partially at fault, which would play a big role in that as well.

I was only kidding. I would be shocked if they got anything, unless they can prove some important safety mechanism wasn't functioning.

Each state has different laws about what you can and can't recover in a tort action when you are at least partially at fault, which would play a big role in that as well.

Interestingly, a landmark Supreme Court Case, Erie vs. Tompkins, involving issues of Federal vs. State common and commercial law, involved a man walking along railroad tracks. He was struck by an object protruding from an Erie Railroad train, which flung him down, and the train rolled over his arm, severing it. He sued in Federal Court in New York, the corporate home of the Erie railroad, because Pennsylvania law made it much tougher for a railroad tresspasser, as he was, to claim liability.

Amazing. :dunce:

I smell a lawsuit. Train company should have known that railroad trestles would be attractive sunbathing spots to children who don't know any better.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*Singing*

Runaway train, never coming back

Lost my legs on a one-way track

ok, ok... that was tasteless :doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Now THAT is funny.

I'm all for removing labels from the obvious things. Lets see if we can pass a bill to make this happen. :cheers:

Archived