Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock is losing weight to return kickoffs "get more TDS"

NAC386

I heard he was going to lose some weight a while back, good to hear he's getting it done. Players can add speed even at this point in their career by dropping a few pounds. I don't see why he would be more likely to be injured at all.

Go Rock!

I'm not the biggest fan of Cartwright as a kick returner but he does play with heart so I'm not going to say anything bad about his returns anymore, but where are people getting this fumbling thing regarding Cartwright?

I can only remember one fumble (and it was a doozy I admit) and that was in KC in 05 where he practically cost us the game by fumbling deep in KC territory and the fumble was returned for a TD. But even that was as a runningback and not on a kickoff return.

He's been steady, if unspectacular, as a kick returner and has not made any mistakes.

I do wonder about his claim that losing weight will translate into TDs. I don't see it. Either you have "it" or you don't. He doesn't. He's a solid guy with average speed. He'll make the most of what his blockers setup for him but he's not going to be creating anything by himself. Losing 10 pounds or so isn't going to change that.

He is what he is and now going into year 7 of his career, he's not going to all of a sudden become a different player.

I'm not the biggest fan of Cartwright as a kick returner but he does play with heart so I'm not going to say anything bad about his returns anymore, but where are people getting this fumbling thing regarding Cartwright?

I can only remember one fumble (and it was a doozy I admit) and that was in KC in 05 where he practically cost us the game by fumbling deep in KC territory and the fumble was returned for a TD. But even that was as a runningback and not on a kickoff return.

He's been steady, if unspectacular, as a kick returner and has not made any mistakes.

I do wonder about his claim that losing weight will translate into TDs. I don't see it. Either you have "it" or you don't. He doesn't. He's a solid guy with average speed. He'll make the most of what his blockers setup for him but he's not going to be creating anything by himself. Losing 10 pounds or so isn't going to change that.

He is what he is and now going into year 7 of his career, he's not going to all of a sudden become a different player.

I dont think that is what he said.

I believe he said longer returns.

I really dont remember him saying TDs.

A poster on here said that........but I didnt hear those words

Yeah where is this "fumbling problem" coming from? The guy has been as steady a kick returner you can have . . . while he isn't hester (who is?), I love the fact that we get the ball around the 30 every time he touches it. He is reliable and the loss of weight can only help his explosion.

He's a poor man's Brian Mitchell...only not as good. I guess that's the poor man's reference lol I like rock though, you need solid special teamers..everyone can't be a starah(star)

Rock's 25.8 yd. average was the second highest total for the Skins in 26 years, leading the league for most of the year. Rock broke some of Mitchell's records in '06 by the way. He very well could be the next Brian Mitchell .....only better.

Did he indicate whether or not he'll have more of a chance to return punts? I think he may not have big play PR ability, but should be much more consistent that ARE.

I agree, or get Thrash back there, he was money last year. Thomas might get some shots too, since I dont think he'll be playing much WR this year.

Yea I agree that Rock is a true Redskin and deserves more respect for being a tough guy on the field. That is a lot of weigh to lose, but hopefully his balance will still be good and he'll still break those tackles.

As for getting more TDs, I just hope he breaks a few long ones to justify being back there. Don't get me wrong, it is great to have a consistent returner who always gets to the 30...but throw in 2 touchdowns a year and I'd be a big fan.

I believe we got Rock in the 7th round too. Good value there.

He's a poor man's Brian Mitchell...only not as good. I guess that's the poor man's reference lol I like rock though, you need solid special teamers..everyone can't be a starah(star)

i agree with the b-mitch comparison. but b-mitch had the potential of taking the ball the distance (i believe he still holds the career record for KOR for TDs... though hester will break that). rock DOES NOT have that same threat. hopefully this weightloss changes that

That probably won't help his fumbling problem.
Maybe if he cuts down on the greasy, fatty foods between kickoffs he won't fumble so much. Or maybe he should just wipe his hands.

Rock Cartwright Fumbles on Kick Returns, by Year (Source: nfl.com)

2007: 0

2006: 0

2005: 0

2004: 0

2003: 0

2002: 1

Archived