Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock is losing weight to return kickoffs "get more TDS"

NAC386

Rock was just on Redskins radio and he said he is now down to 212 pounds, and will get down to 205 by the time the season starts with hopes of getting more long kick returns. Last season he was 223 pounds and in the 230 range the year before.

With Mathis released it puts Rock back in forefront to be the primary kick returner, unless they want rookies Thomas or Tyron to return some. I think being slimmer and quicker will be good to get Rock out past the 30 more often this year. Sean Taylor was definitely more agile last year after losing some weight, so hopefully Rock gets the same benefits.

Yea I agree that Rock is a true Redskin and deserves more respect for being a tough guy on the field. That is a lot of weigh to lose, but hopefully his balance will still be good and he'll still break those tackles.

As for getting more TDs, I just hope he breaks a few long ones to justify being back there. Don't get me wrong, it is great to have a consistent returner who always gets to the 30...but throw in 2 touchdowns a year and I'd be a big fan.

I just hope all that weight loss won't affect his ability to break tackles or take hits.

Maybe in taking a hit. The only problem I have with rock is that he never seems to break a tackle. He is good for dragging a tackler an extra couple of yards, but not detaching hmiself.

no he didn't mention returning punts. I don't think he's quick enough to return punts, and I don't think Randle El had any kind of blocking at all last year. Our whole punt return unit needs improvement.

This is great news to me - Rock has the vision and the determination . . . now with the loss in weight he'll have the speed and agility to hit the creases and break a long one. The only thing that hindered him the past 2 years was the fact that he didn't have that breakaway speed or acceleration . . . I just hope that this weight loss will help fix that problem . . . hell, he got it to the 30 or so every time without the additional speed . . . just imagine what he will do now?

I just hope all that weight loss won't affect his ability to break tackles or take hits.

I like Rock, but Ive never known him to break lots of tackles. Im also concerned about him getting smacked around if he gets too thin.

no he didn't mention returning punts. I don't think he's quick enough to return punts, and I don't think Randle El had any kind of blocking at all last year. Our whole punt return unit needs improvement.

I think last year i remember reading somewhere that Danny Smith tried to block more punts and that left a lot less blocking for Randle El.

Crazy. Rock came into the league at 240. Granted, he's really short to carry that much weight, but to come into the league at 240 and drop to 205? That's a serious body makeover.

True but he's also had to change positions. He entered the NFL as a FB, then converted to a HB, and now is returning kicks. Hopefully the lower weight gets his speed up, but I wouldn't expect a player to get faster at this point in their career.

I am not sure that body make over is a crazy as people think. Two good friends of mine played football for tech. They were both scary big when they played, now they both look like normal dudes. I am pretty sure, given the proper diet and weightlifting program, and the time to do it, most anybody could gain or lose serious weight. As far as ARE he has stopped running kicks back and has started trying to dance them back. He went from beast kick returner to mr. ****foot, he is trying to look his way through holes instead of just ****ing hitting them...

Maybe in taking a hit. The only problem I have with rock is that he never seems to break a tackle. He is good for dragging a tackler an extra couple of yards, but not detaching hmiself.

And how is he suppose to break a tackle? Exactly. As you said.......he drags tacklers along.....but can you give me a clue how he is to do this. I will pass along your skill at this on to him.

That probably won't help his fumbling problem.

:rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss.

Happy today McMetal?

Crazy. Rock came into the league at 240. Granted, he's really short to carry that much weight, but to come into the league at 240 and drop to 205? That's a serious body makeover.

Understand that the drop in weight has been over the 6 year period. At one time before last season he was down to 215 then put up a few pounds. He eats nothing but fish and veggies. He has people that work with him on eating and keeping the muscle.

He is in great shape.

I don't think it'll matter much if he loses weight because he still just runs straight into everyone lol

He's among the best in the league at returning kicks, so he's doing something right. My only concern would be injuries, but other than that, the extra weight wasn't of much use considering he didn't play runningback at all.

I'm really concerned about Rock's fumbles too McMetal. 5 fumbles in 6 years is a very disturbing trend IMHO.

Yea that is a ton of weight to drop, but I guess you gotta adapt to what you're asked to do. As long as he can still tackle on kick coverage I think it's a good idea.

For the amount of time he's doing it in, it's actually not that much weight. Losing 18 pounds over at least 6+ months can enable you to lose mostly fat and very little muscle.

He's among the best in the league at returning kicks, so he's doing something right. My only concern would be injuries, but other than that, the extra weight wasn't of much use considering he didn't play runningback at all.

I'm really concerned about Rock's fumbles too McMetal. 5 fumbles in 6 years is a very disturbing trend IMHO.

How many fumbles have been on KO returns.

EXACTLY ZERO.

ZIP.

NADA.

NONE.

Not once has he lost a ball on a return.

Five fumbles in 6 years.

Dear lord. Not even once a year.

Holy crap.

He is just a machine out there.....spitting out the ball.

Geez.

If it adds some more bounce to his step and actually makes him a threat to cut a corner and take one downfield...then I'm all for it. I don't think we should have gotten rid of Mathis quite yet because of his superb KR abilities. We'll see how Rock fares this year, we don't really have much else of a choice

Archived