Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock is losing weight to return kickoffs "get more TDS"

NAC386

I'll accept that, but I don't think Rock "emidomizes" the Redskins. But to each their own...
I agree or disagree 100%. Please define emidomize...???

I think Rock is a good asset for the team. Good, consistant performance at a very cap friendly salary. The meat and potatos of the team. But Rock would be gone if he was able to find a team that offered him a #2 RB salary during his off season hunt. The idea of a "true Redskin" is a silly notion dreamed up by fans and reinforced by Gibbspeak. It's a business, and any player who doesn't do as well as he can for his career is a slacker or idiot, not a true anything.

I agree or disagree 100%. Please define emidomize...???

I think Rock is a good asset for the team. Good, consistant performance at a very cap friendly salary. The meat and potatos of the team. But Rock would be gone if he was able to find a team that offered him a #2 RB salary during his off season hunt. The idea of a "true Redskin" is a silly notion dreamed up by fans and reinforced by Gibbspeak. It's a business, and any player who doesn't do as well as he can for his career is a slacker or idiot, not a true anything.

Epidomize=represent, serve as an example

And at what point did "true Redskins" equate to "Will never leave and play for another team under any circumstances"? Art Monk is DEFINITELY a true Redskin, but he went on to play for the Jets after he played here. Gary Clark? True Redskin. But he left and played for the Cardinals. Riggins is a true Redskin, but he played for the Jets before he played here. Brian Mitchell? And on and on and on...

And at what point did "true Redskins" equate to "Will never leave and play for another team under any circumstances"? Art Monk is DEFINITELY a true Redskin, but he went on to play for the Jets after he played here. Gary Clark? True Redskin. But he left and played for the Cardinals. Riggins is a true Redskin, but he played for the Jets before he played here. Brian Mitchell? And on and on and on...

Here is a link to true Redskins.

http://www.redskins.com/team/

They won't all be true Redskins at seasons start. What about guys like Ade Jimoh, a ST monster who never had the CB talent to break the roster? But he contributed for years. What about guys like Trent Green and Stephen Davis? Talented guys who were dumped by the team. Davis set records here. Were they true Redskins? Timmy Smith and Doug Williams tore up SBs for us. Are they true Redskins? Your definition of true Redskin = fan favorite with tenure. Nothing wrong with that, but it is an arbitrary term and has no real meaning.

I like Rock as he gives us a consistent start at the 30 yard line. With that being said, I'd like to see him brake a couple touchdowns a season or atleast one.

The last kickoff returned for a touchdown was vs. the Cardinals and was the kr that had butter as fingers. I can't remember his name, but he was cut in the opener of the 05 season and picked up later in the season and had a strong finish.

I like Rock as he gives us a consistent start at the 30 yard line. With that being said, I'd like to see him brake a couple touchdowns a season or atleast one.

The last kickoff returned for a touchdown was vs. the Cardinals and was the kr that had butter as fingers. I can't remember his name, but he was cut in the opener of the 05 season and picked up later in the season and had a strong finish.

Antonio Brown I believe.

The last kickoff returned for a touchdown was vs. the Cowboys in 2006...it was a 100 yard return for a TD, and Rock Cartwright was the kick returner.

Here is a link to true Redskins.

http://www.redskins.com/team/

They won't all be true Redskins at seasons start. What about guys like Ade Jimoh, a ST monster who never had the CB talent to break the roster? But he contributed for years. What about guys like Trent Green and Stephen Davis? Talented guys who were dumped by the team. Davis set records here. Were they true Redskins? Timmy Smith and Doug Williams tore up SBs for us. Are they true Redskins? Your definition of true Redskin = fan favorite with tenure. Nothing wrong with that, but it is an arbitrary term and has no real meaning.

The link made no sense.

Ade Jimoh, I wouldn't argue with being called a true Redskin. Trent Green didn't play here long enough. Stephen Davis, he could be considered one as well. Timmy Smith only had one season, not long enough. Doug Williams, borderline, mainly for the same reason. But while here he definitely epidomized all the things I outlined in being a "true" Redskin.

The fact that some players can be debated as to whether or not they should be considered "true Redskins" doesn't mean the term has no definition or real meaning. James Thrash is not exactly what I'd consider a "fan favorite", yet I definitely consider him a true Redskin. A lot of people on this site would agree with me...and it's not because we all own Thrash jerseys.

The fact that some players can be debated as to whether or not they should be considered "true Redskins" doesn't mean the term has no definition or real meaning.

Yes it does. True Redskin is as meaningless a term as is true fan. You are a fan or not. And you are a productive team member or not. What about Arrington? Many here would say he was a true Redskin. Badmouthing the team and dissing the coach not withstanding. Was Thrash a true Eagle? Was Fletcher a true Bear? The term is totally arbitrary. I liked Ade on teams, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat as D. Green or Riggo. JG called many people core Skins just before they were cut or traded. What about Ryan Clark? He worked hard and did an OK job. GW didn't think so. True Redskin is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes it does.

Ok lol :laugh: :doh:...

Using that logic, that means that the word "best" has no meaning because people can and do argue who is the best QB, what is the best movie, who was the best president, etc, etc. Here's something to remember: every single thing on the planet can be debated and argued. Just because it can doesn't negate the validity of what's being debated or argued, nor does it mean what's being debated or argued has no definition.

True Redskin is as meaningless a term as is true fan.

You keep repeating this mantra of yours as if this one sentence says it all. It doesn't. Doesn't even come close.

You are a fan or not. And you are a productive team member or not.

What? lol :laugh: :laugh:...Ok, at what point did "true Redskins" end up meaning "He's productive"? I think you are so hellbent on making sure the term "true Redskin" holds no value that you're reaching out in all directions in order to try and grab hold of something that you think validates your stance. First it's "true Redskin"="Fan favorite". Now it's "true Redskin"="productive player".

What about Arrington? Many here would say he was a true Redskin. Badmouthing the team and dissing the coach not withstanding.

Some will, some won't. But just because Arrington's status can be debated doesn't mean that "true Redskins" do not exist. That's horrendously flawed logic. Seriously, that makes absolutely no sense.

Was Thrash a true Eagle?

Why don't you ask Eagles fans what their definition is of "true Eagle", if they even HAVE one that is, and then ask THEM if THEY feel Thrash was one. Why ask me? You're straying.

Was Fletcher a true Bear?

I would say "no", mainly because he never played for the Bears. Actually playing for the team is probably a criteria, I would imagine.

The term is totally arbitrary.

No, it's not. I've defined it. Ask people who use the term and they'll define it as well. Ask the people or person who coined the phrase, and they'll define it for you as well. It will be a specific type of player, with specific characteristics that show on and off the field.

Taken another way, if "true Redskin" is so arbitrary, would anyone consider Deion Sanders a "true Redskin"? What about Jeff George? Brandon Lloyd? Coles? Micheal Westbrook? If the term "true Redskin" were really that arbitrary, it could be molded to fit pretty much any player that ever wore a Redskin uniform for even one hour. There's a looooooong list of players, though, that the term "true Redskin" would never fit.

I liked Ade on teams, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat as D. Green or Riggo.

You don't have to be a HOF player to be a true Redskin. Even Gibbs would never say that.

JG called many people core Skins just before they were cut or traded.

Can you name any players that were cut or traded right after being called a "true Redskin" by Joe Gibbs? I can't.

What about Ryan Clark? He worked hard and did an OK job. GW didn't think so. True Redskin is in the eye of the beholder.

Again...Ryan Clark was probably not with the team long enough to really be considered a "true Redskin", but he definitely had the characteristics of one. There are players who hold the qualities of a true Redskin who, if they stayed with the team long enough to forge a unique identity AS a Redskin, would qualify for the term.

By the way, the Sporting News analysis of Rock:

"Rock Cartwright is not guaranteed a spot on the roster, but he is as close to a sure thing as any backup can be. The Redskins signed Jerome Mathis with the idea to take a look at him as a kickoff returner. But after one minicamp, the decision was made that Cartwright makes too many contributions in too many areas to be replaced.

Cartwright is an excellent kickoff returner. He does not have blazing speed, but he follows his blockers, waits for openings to develop and has enough speed to break long returns when the opportunity presents itself. Cartwright is a willing and capable special teams player who excels on coverage units and will do anything to help the team."

Here's to ya, Rock... :cheers:

By the way, the Sporting News analysis of Rock:

"Rock Cartwright is not guaranteed a spot on the roster, but he is as close to a sure thing as any backup can be. The Redskins signed Jerome Mathis with the idea to take a look at him as a kickoff returner. But after one minicamp, the decision was made that Cartwright makes too many contributions in too many areas to be replaced.

Cartwright is an excellent kickoff returner. He does not have blazing speed, but he follows his blockers, waits for openings to develop and has enough speed to break long returns when the opportunity presents itself. Cartwright is a willing and capable special teams player who excels on coverage units and will do anything to help the team."

Can't argue with that. One more for Rock :cheers:

Some will, some won't. But just because Arrington's status can be debated doesn't mean that "true Redskins" do not exist. That's horrendously flawed logic. Seriously, that makes absolutely no sense.
That proves my point. Some peoples "true Redskin" is another mans problem player. How does that not make sense?
By the way, the Sporting News analysis of Rock:...

I agree with that post completely. :cheers:

Typical of the Maddenites from Generation Ipod

Dave while I agree with your sentiment I wish you would stop generalizing about young people. If you disagree with the guy then fine but don't group me in with people that don't know what they're talking about by insulting my generation. Yes, I play Madden and I own an iPod but that doesn't mean that I don't understand Redskins football. Just because one young guy said something dumb doesn't mean we're all like that.

Thanks

DMH

Dave while I agree with your sentiment I wish you would stop generalizing about young people. If you disagree with the guy then fine but don't group me in with people that don't know what they're talking about by insulting my generation. Yes, I play Madden and I own an iPod but that doesn't mean that I don't understand Redskins football. Just because one young guy said something dumb doesn't mean we're all like that.

Thanks

DMH

This is the second thing I have read in the last 10 min. on ES relating to generalizations about ideas and age. Dave it sounds like maybe you were joking but there are some on here that take it far too far and serious.

This is the second thing I have read in the last 10 min. on ES relating to generalizations about ideas and age. Dave it sounds like maybe you were joking but there are some on here that take it far too far and serious.

Its not a matter of me taking it too far even if its a joke. I'm not overly offended but I don't appreciate the comments, especially when it consistantly comes from one source. Thats why I politely asked him to stop.

Thanks

DMH

:applause::applause::applause:

Its not a matter of me taking it too far even if its a joke. I'm not overly offended but I don't appreciate the comments, especially when it consistantly comes from one source. Thats why I politely asked him to stop.

I wasn't talking about you taking it too far....

That proves my point. Some peoples "true Redskin" is another mans problem player. How does that not make sense?

Because we're individuals with individual perceptions and reasonings. Some may say Brian Mitchell was not a true Redskin simply because he went on to play for a division rival. Somebody else may say Chris Samuels is not a true Redskin because he wouldn't give him an autograph. Like I said, just because there may be differing opinions on who should be considered a "true Redskin" doesn't mean that true Redskins don't or can't exist. And just because we all have our own individual perceptions doesn't mean that they're all equally correct or valid.

I agree with that post completely. :cheers:

Yeah, I'm glad to see Rock getting that type of acknowledgement in the sports media as well :cheers:...

Archived