Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thrash Vs. Mix

SkinsAllDay34

According to Cerrato, Mix showed up at mini-camp about 20lbs or so overweight. He had better take the fight for a roster spot seriously since we haven't seen him do anything yet in a game. Preseason against 3rd string scrubs doesn't count. Since the Skins didn't draft Mix, he's going to have to make the roster based upon his current production not "potential".

Right now Mix is just another hyped up UDFA. He was a lower tier WR at Auburn. What is his potential really?

Thrash is 33 but is still very very fast. He was a productive WCO receiver for Philly and was the first WR to catch TD passes for the Skins last year. He doesn't catch many passes but it's not like there were a lot of passes thrown his way either. If the WCO works the way it should then passes should be spread around to all of the active WRs, TEs and RBs. So it's not like we are looking for Thrash to catch 50-60 balls a year. I can see Thrash staying on the roster for another year, at least.

if we choose not to keep 6 receivers, i say we keep Mix over Thrash. We're starting a new era of Redskins football, Thrash is a Gibbs guy, who was basically on the team because he was a quality guy, a special teams player, a good blocker and Gibbs knew and liked him. He's getting old, we might as well keep Mix who has a good amount of upside and is young and can learn in Zorn's west coast system. Mix performed pretty well on special teams last year so i don't think we lose much by playing Mix over Thrash on special teams.
I would definitely have to see what we have in Mix as a WR first before making that decision.

You mentioned that Trash was a "Gibbs guy, who was basically on the team because he was a quality guy, and a special teams player". Well, Thrash was crucial last season when both Moss and Randle El went down. The week 10 game against the Eagles is a good example of what Thrash still brings to the table as a WR.

People may not think so, but Thrash is still pretty fast. And he adjusts his routes to find the open field and get open pretty darn good for an old guy. :)

We are keeping both... end of story... Unless someone gets hurt or really lays an egg in preseason

Its going to be very difficult to keep them both unless we go with 6 receivers and I really can't see us doing that.

The 4 guys who are almost certain to be on the roster unless one gets hurt so bad they go on IR are Moss, ARE, Kelly and Thomas. That leaves one spot assuming we go with 5 wideouts - I still say it goes to the guy who Danny Smith wants to keep for teams.

Its going to be very difficult to keep them both unless we go with 6 receivers and I really can't see us doing that.

The 4 guys who are almost certain to be on the roster unless one gets hurt so bad they go on IR are Moss, ARE, Kelly and Thomas. That leaves one spot assuming we go with 5 wideouts - I still say it goes to the guy who Danny Smith wants to keep for teams.

We'll keep 6, bet on it. Moss hasnt shown that he can stay healthy for a whole season. Zorn is going to run 4 wide at times, and Gibbs I dont think ever did that. Guess how many WR's Gibbs kept?

That's right, 6.

So no way we're going to go with any less.

I hope they keep 6 and keep Thrash on board for another year. But if it comes down to Thrash or Mix, and Mix has shown any of the potential he flashed last year, I think the wise choice is to bank on a younger Mix rather than squeezing another year or two out of Thrash. Harsh, but the reality of the NFL.

What potential did Mix "flash" last year?...

I'm seriously tired of the man crushes on Mix. Dude hasn't done ANYTHING!! He has done NOTHING to prove he's worth a roster spot. What, we should keep him b/c he's tall? Come on now, if that's really the reason to keep somebody, then we have a problem. Thrash might be older, but he is reliable and a great ST'er. Not to mention the veteran leadership he'd bring to the two rookie receivers who aren't smurfs. Those guys can't learn as much from Moss and El as they could from Thrash. Moss and El are cut-and-move'ers. Thomas and Kelly will be inside/over-the-top kinda receivers. Thrash can help with that. I'd take Thrash over Mix any day. Mix can assume his role on the PS. And, if they decide to keep 6, bring him on. Otherwise, I'm not impressed... Not yet

Yet you talk like you can guarantee that all 3 rookie receivers are something special before they have done Jack??

What potential did Mix "flash" last year?...

He made ONE play. He downed a kickoff that Seattle completlely botched. It was a nice hustle play, but in reality his job was to run to where the ball went. No one picked it up so he did.

Now I am a Mix supporter just like I support every other play in a Redskins helmet. But the fact of the matter is, he wasn't a great WR in college, and he has shown no evidence he has gotten better. Physically he's what coaches are looking for, but he has a lot of work to do before he sees the field.

Obviously the answer to this question is wait till TC/PS and see how it goes, and it should be a fun battle to watch. If it came down to the two just based off what we know now, I pick Thrash.

Thrash plays on kickoffs, punt coverage, and returns punts and kicks. Mix is a gunner, and that is the limit of his ST ability. Thrash was the FIRST WR to catch a TD last season playing in a very limited role. Thrash had the longest PR of our season, in a very limited role. He doesn't have a lot of gas in the tank so it's good we limit his oppurtunites but the man is a football player. We could ask him to line up at LT and he would find a way to make it work.

Some say we have veteran leadership in Moss and ARE, but when have they even been known as leaders? Just being a good player doesn't instantly make a player a leader. I'm not knocking either of them, but I just don't see the leadership qualities. Then again I'm not in the lockerroom so how could I know? Moss and ARE are also speedsters. They are completely different WR's then our young guns in Thomas/Kelly/Mix. They rely on their speed, and as we saw last year as they battled through injuries, they aren't that great without their speed. Thrash came into the league as a burner, and while he still has adequate speed he isn't Darrell Green. He's obviously learned the WR position and is able to beat faster defenders because he knows how to run routes and how to get open. That is the kind of guy you want around younger WR's.

In my opinion Thrash just brings more to the table in every category other than potential and being tall. We have plenty of potential and height in Thomas and Kelly who are both sure to see the field more than Mix if for no other reason than their salaries. With our current WR corps I think it would be foolish to let the better play walk because the other guy might be better a few years from now. The fact is even if Mix is better than Thrash, he's still a #5 WR on this team.

He made ONE play. He downed a kickoff that Seattle completlely botched. It was a nice hustle play, but in reality his job was to run to where the ball went. No one picked it up so he did.

Now I am a Mix supporter just like I support every other play in a Redskins helmet. But the fact of the matter is, he wasn't a great WR in college, and he has shown no evidence he has gotten better. Physically he's what coaches are looking for, but he has a lot of work to do before he sees the field.

Obviously the answer to this question is wait till TC/PS and see how it goes, and it should be a fun battle to watch. If it came down to the two just based off what we know now, I pick Thrash.

Thrash plays on kickoffs, punt coverage, and returns punts and kicks. Mix is a gunner, and that is the limit of his ST ability. Thrash was the FIRST WR to catch a TD last season playing in a very limited role. Thrash had the longest PR of our season, in a very limited role. He doesn't have a lot of gas in the tank so it's good we limit his oppurtunites but the man is a football player. We could ask him to line up at LT and he would find a way to make it work.

Some say we have veteran leadership in Moss and ARE, but when have they even been known as leaders? Just being a good player doesn't instantly make a player a leader. I'm not knocking either of them, but I just don't see the leadership qualities. Then again I'm not in the lockerroom so how could I know? Moss and ARE are also speedsters. They are completely different WR's then our young guns in Thomas/Kelly/Mix. They rely on their speed, and as we saw last year as they battled through injuries, they aren't that great without their speed. Thrash came into the league as a burner, and while he still has adequate speed he isn't Darrell Green. He's obviously learned the WR position and is able to beat faster defenders because he knows how to run routes and how to get open. That is the kind of guy you want around younger WR's.

In my opinion Thrash just brings more to the table in every category other than potential and being tall. We have plenty of potential and height in Thomas and Kelly who are both sure to see the field more than Mix if for no other reason than their salaries. With our current WR corps I think it would be foolish to let the better play walk because the other guy might be better a few years from now. The fact is even if Mix is better than Thrash, he's still a #5 WR on this team.

:applause: :applause: :applause: Well put...:cheers:

We'll keep 6, bet on it. Moss hasnt shown that he can stay healthy for a whole season. Zorn is going to run 4 wide at times, and Gibbs I dont think ever did that. Guess how many WR's Gibbs kept?

That's right, 6.

So no way we're going to go with any less.

We did not go into the season with 6 WRs. We started the season with 4 (Moss, ARE, B Lloyd, Thrash). Others were added when they had enough of Lloyd and because of injuries.

Source? Link?

I'm not sure the exact source or link, but I know it was an article on the redskins website or from an article on the Washington Post. Cerrato said he wanted Mix to slim down a little to add speed. It wasn't a big deal; just a mention while talking about camp and the offense as a whole. As for the debate, I say keep both Mix and Thrash. Although there will definately be a depth chart for our receivers, I think Zorn will have several lineups depending on the situation we're in. We now have big guys and speedy guys to mix up. With 6 WRs, Zorn will be able to keep players fresh and we will have solid depth if injuries occur, if the youngsters turn out be good. I don't know why people want to just throw Thrash to the curb. He's been solid for us and has done anything asked of him to help us win. That's a guy you want on the team no matter if he's primarily ST or a backup receiver. As a receiver, he delivered when called upon until he was injured. You saw the red zone threat he could be in that Eagles game; not to mention the Eagles have a solid secondary. He can provide depth, experience, he's a quality guy, never complains about his role, he's respected in the locker room, and always plays hard as well as smart. Nobody knows what Mix can do, but I'm willing to give him a chance to contribute.

Yet you talk like you can guarantee that all 3 rookie receivers are something special before they have done Jack??

I never said anything bout them anything special. We all know they will make the roster. So that'd leave the 5th (and maybe 6th) spot(s). And I will guarantee you that ANYONE out there would agree that Thomas and Kelly will outperform Mix.

Archived