Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants Fans, Kenny Phillips to wear # (merged)

Skinz248

I am sorry but there are few numbers in sports that should never be wore again. #42 is the ultimate one.

Jackie Robinson's #42 has been retired from baseball, but it shouldn't be all sports. What does #42 mean to football? Bill Willis and Marion Motley signed with the Cleveland Browns a year before Robinson signed with the Dodgers. Obviously baseball was a more popular sport back then, but Motley and Willis did more to break the color barrier in profootball then Robinson did.

Already? After 1 year you say this? Come on....:doh:

Not yet, maybe one day but not yet.

I agree, currently that title still belongs to Brian Dawkins (although earlier this season it looked like it had gone to Sean :().

To me, the safety list looks like this:

1) Brian Dawkins

2) Laron Landry

3) Ken Hamlin

4) Reed Doughty

After the '08 season, I think the list will look like this:

1) Laron Landry

2) Brian Dawkins

3) Kenny Philips

4) Ken Hamlin

This makes me mad. A division rival with a promising young safety, from the same school, with the same number as our ST.

OK, maybe it makes me jealous more than mad. But it CERTAINLY DOESN'T make me a Kenny Phillips fan. I will be hoping he DOES NOT live up to his expectations. I'd rather him become a BUST

i understand all the "it's just a number"-comments.... but it still seems like he is putting a lot of pressure on himself. as it is, he will be compared to ed and sean, there is no getting around that. but wearing sean's number makes that bullseye a little bigger

i agree. i dont want him getting any INTs against us, but i'd be thrilled to see this guy have a solid career. hopefully he will only play a few years with the giants and become an FA with a non-division rival before his career really takes off :-)

that said, a certain part of me thinks its somewhat fitting that he'll play in the nfc-east.

Here's a question to consider: Do the Redskins stop issuing 21, unofficially retiring it like they've done with other jersey numbers?

I really hope they do.....He meant so much to this fanbase....Short career? Sure; but we all know Sean had a hall of fame career ahead of him :(

The history of numerology dates back nearly as far as the history of numbers. Humankind doesn't really change, does it?

What's odd is that for years, every young d-back took #21 to emulate Deion. I wonder if they will all take it now because of Sean. Or will it just be the Miami guys?

The same thing is going to happen in the NBA with #23. It was Jordan's number, but soon everyone will simply associate it with Lebron.

The history of numerology dates back nearly as far as the history of numbers. Humankind doesn't really change' date=' does it?

What's odd is that for years, every young d-back took #21 to emulate Deion. I wonder if they will all take it now because of Sean. Or will it just be the Miami guys?

The same thing is going to happen in the NBA with #23. It was Jordan's number, but soon everyone will simply associate it with Lebron.[/quote']

the only way 23 in basketball gets associated with lebron is if he wins more rings that jordan. I don't see that ever happening. 23 is always jordans number.

as for 21, i think its great kenny is wearing 21 to honor a guy he looked up to and tried to model his game after. After a few years im not sure if guys will choose it just for Sean or just for the hell of it.

I saw on Comcast Sportsnet over the weekend that Giants rookie safety is going to wear #21 in memory of ST.

In the interview, he said that Sean had been his idol since high school, and he had pictures of Sean in his gym locker. He seemed really genuine about it. Sorry there is no link.

Wow thats pretty kool................

And why the hell are we throwing insults at Kenny Phillips and the Giants here???? Phillips was the best safety prospect in the draft, the Giants have a great defense and just won the Super Bowl.....Some of you need to just show some respect and shut up... Very classy of Phillips to come out and express his feelings about Sean while selecting #21

Archived