Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants Fans, Kenny Phillips to wear # (merged)

Skinz248

21. He put a lot more pressure on himself by taking that number. Too bad for the poor kid and the Giants fans who think he will be the next ST. (RIP ST)

Skins fans, giants fans, actually anyone... Discuss! :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

I honestly do not see a big deal - it's on a different team - I think some people are looking a little too much in it. I know he's from the U and all - but I do not think it is to be a wannabe Sean Taylor (R.I.P) unless he comes out and says that then ok - but till then I am just saying it's a number on another team - are we going to do this to anyone who wears 21 and is a rookie and a defensive player? Or is it because he is on the Giants?

Now if he THINKS he's the next Sean Taylor (R.I.P) then :laugh: this guy could do his career twice and still wouldn't be half the man OUR Sean was!

philips will be a good safety. Must all redskins fan put every player down that doesnt play for the redskins?

Dont make me bump the 300 threads on drafting philips with the 21st pick.:doh:

Eh, keep in mind that 21 is the most coveted and popular number among defensive backs. He may be doing it to honor Taylor, but he also may be doing it because he just likes the number and it was available. It's not like the Giants were going to retire it or anything in honor of some running back. :laugh:

Personally, I think Phillips is going to end up being one of the better safeties in the league. With his build and play style, he kinda reminds me of an Adrian Wilson type of safety. And with the pass rush the Giants have, he shouldn't have a problem fitting in.

I think the reason why the scouts weren't enamoured with him like they were with Ed Reed and Sean Taylor is because Philips wasn't playing at the extremely high level Taylor and Reed were playing in college. Plus, it's also been mentioned that his instincts aren't the otherworldly ones that Taylor and Reed possess.

Like Mayock said, he'll be a good safety. He's just not Taylor or Reed.

]']He should have worn. 10.5 If he could be half the safety that Taylor was' date=' then he's be the best Defensive player on the VaGiants.[/quote']

This was quite a stretch. I loved the way Sean Taylor played the game. He had heart and determination. He was also fearless. But even for a Redskins fan, that statement was ridiculous.

I don't think anyone expects a Sean Taylor like prospect, that goes for Giant fans and the media. Taylor was drafted 5th overall in 2004, and Phillips 31st. Obviously, there's a big difference, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that.

A number is just that, a number :doh:

I agree, people are blowing this up. Let him get to camp and prove that he belongs. He needs to prove that he is better than many scouts had him rated. No big deal because they do that to all the other players not drafted in the first round.

He is a safety on another team. I hope he fails because he plays for a division rival. They don't need any more good players on their defense.

Personally,I hope every player on the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys fail. I mean that they are our divisional rivals afterall. It doesn't matter which number anyone wears. Skins fans need to let go of the Sean Taylor thing already. He's gone. Nothing you can do but move on. Once a week a tribute, birthday cake, face in my pancake thread shows up. It's becoming annoying. I don't want anyone to forget him, but it's time to put it to rest.

The only tie between Taylor and Phillips are they both played safety at the U...honestly he either did it to honor ST or he did it because he liked the number, and neither one of those is a negative thing. The kid's a good athlete and should make a good NFL safety. I don't see what there is to talk about here really.

']This was quite a stretch. I loved the way Sean Taylor played the game. He had heart and determination. He was also fearless. But even for a Redskins fan' date=' that statement was ridiculous.[/quote']

Just ignore him.

I will say this though, if KP becomes half the Safety Sean Taylor should have been (would have become), you guys would be really proud.

I would rather him choose #21 than any other number.

Lets not fault the guy for wanting memorialize a fellow "U" alum and great safety.

In no way is he disrespecting Sean Taylor or the Redskins...so I dont know why anyone would want to disrespect him...especially considering he hasnt stepped on the field yet.

If you were to ask Santana, Clinton or Rocky I promise they will think its a good thing. So why shouldnt we?

It does seem that a lot of people are assuming he took the number to honour ST. If he did then I respect that, but I've not personally seen anything that says he did. could be he just liked the number, could be he wanted to honour ST, either way while I'm looking forward to seeing him play i doubt any sane Giants fan is expecting him to be as good as ST at this point. He's got a lot of potential and we'll see where it goes but Sean Taylor was beyond exceptional. I don't think he's putting any extra pressure on himself with the number.

Most Giants fans think of #21 as Tiki's number anyway

It's not quite like the Jets Gholson taking #56. there's a lot of DBs around the league wearing 21 but a LBer wearing #56 in New York is pretty bold!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the season opener

Who cares about what number he wears for NY. Phillips made a statement a while ago saying something along the lines of "there are no Sean Taylors or LaRon Landrys in this draft." (I dont have a link but a thread was posted about it here right after he said it for those that remember)

The guy does not think he is Sean Taylor, he just wants to wear 21.

Archived