Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Analysis Of The Skins' Draft (Multiple Sources)

Pro Football Weekly:

34. Washington (from Oakland through Atlanta) — WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State

Thomas received a lot of attention after lighting up the Combine, but obvious shy-aways and lack of toughness in the middle of the field were concerning to evaluators. He has the size and run-after-the-catch ability to become a playmaker in Jim Zorn's West Coast offense if he can absorb the playbook. Decision-makers often are scared to pull the trigger on one-year wonders like Thomas in the first round.

48. Washington (from Houston through Atlanta) — TE Fred Davis, USC

Jim Zorn likes to use a lot of multiple-tight end looks in his West Coast offense, and Davis gives the Redskins another pass-catching target to complement Chris Cooley and stretch the field. Davis lacks toughness and focus and has bust potential.

51. Washington — WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Kelly was pulled off many draft boards because of his bad knees. Concerns about his work ethic and mental toughness were also concerning and helped push Kelly down the boards, as did his poor April workout. His tape was arguably as impressive as any receiver in the draft. He attacks the ball in the air and commands extra attention. He should help open up Redskins' offense along with Devin Thomas and Fred Davis. Clearly, Jim Zorn was not happy with the poor receiving group he inherited.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/Round2Picks.htm

Sporting News

Redskins take Devin Thomas at No. 34. Wide receiver run all of a sudden. I thought Washington might go for Thomas in Round 1, but it was smart to trade down and get him anyway. He's the right choice over Cal's DeSean Jackson here, because Thomas is better complement to both Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El. I guess the Redskins have relearned the importance of the draft.

Redskins take Fred Davis at No. 48. Cue up the Trojans band and fight song again. What a pro football producing machine Pete Caroll has going in SoCal. With Davis, a talented receiving tight end, to go along second-round wideout Devin Thomas, it gives Jason Campbell and Todd Collins a few more cogs and Jim Zorn's offense more versatility.

Redskins take Malcolm Kelly at No. 51. OK, now the Redskins are going a little overboard with grabbing three receivers -- Thomas, Davis and Kelly in the same round. There's only so many places on the field after Chris Cooley, Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El. In the win-now NFC East, Washington should have added an end or linebacker, some player to help them right away on defense. Now they have two wideouts who slipped and a tight end with some character issues.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=404958

Sports Illustrated

The Redskins strike it big by moving back and still picking up the dynamic receiver they coveted. Devin Thomas was considered the top receiver in the draft by several teams, and adding his explosive skills to the Redskins' lineup should improve their passing game. Thomas should compete for playing time immediately as the Redskins' third receiver, and could supplant Antwaan Randle-El as the split end in Jim Zorn's new offense.

The Redskins land arguably the most complete tight end in the draft. Fred Davis was regarded by most scouts as the top tight end, and pairing him with Chris Cooley gives the Redskins a formidable tandem at the position. The Redskins have done a nice job of upgrading their passing game with their first few picks of the day.

The Redskins continue their terrific draft by picking up another prospect that carried a first round grade for most of the season. Malcolm Kelly adds size, playmaking and toughness to the Redskins, and gives Jim Zorn all the ingredients to implement more four-receiver sets next season. Much has been made of Kelly's speed deficiencies, but he is an ideal slot receiver in the Redskins' zebra and eagle packages.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/tracker/draft_analysis/round2.html

And Gary Horton, per ESPN Draft Cast (thanks to 33 for finding/posting this earlier):

"They're obviously trying to load up on offensive weapons and use many formations. It has been the goal of the organization to put multiple receivers on the field, which opens up the running game. Now you have the current group of WRs, you have an athletic TW in Fred Davis. They should in the passing game down field. You now open things up for CP and you have the luxury of moving Cooley all over the field as a Dallas Clark kind of guy. This potentially looks like an offense that's going to be very tough to matchup against. Their depth on the perimeter will take most defenses farther than they can go."

I'll add more as I come across them...

ESPN (Scouts Inc.) - If you have Insider, you can get more...

3(34) Washington (From Oakland through Atlanta) Devin Thomas WR MICHIGAN STATE

Washington couldn't be happier about Thomas slipping, considering no one would have blinked had the Redskins selected him in the first round. Thomas isn't as good at stretching the field as his speed would suggest and he needs to improve his route running. But he has the quickness and athletic ability to continue to improve in those areas. He's also very good creating after catch for a player his size.

17(48) Washington (From Houston through Atlanta) Fred Davis TE USC

There were concerns about Davis' ability to stretch the field before the combine, and his slow 40 time backed up what we saw on film. He isn't an overwhelming in-line blocker, either, but he does a good job getting in position and he fights to sustain his blocks. In addition, he has the athletic ability, big hands and long arms to emerge as a reliable possession receiver.

20(51) Washington Malcolm Kelly WR OKLAHOMA

It looked at one time like Kelly would be the first receiver off the board. Concerns about his speed and durability caused his stock to drop. That said, Kelly could be one of thesteals of this draft if he's able to stay healthy. He has outstanding size, very strong hands and he can make plays in traffic. Although he needs to improve his route-running, he changes directions fairly well. He'll be able to separate from man coverage once his footwork improves.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/round?round=2&draftyear=2008

NFL.com

Round 2, Pick 3 (34) (From Raiders through Falcons) Devin Thomas WR 6'2" 215 Michigan State

Pick Analysis:The Redskins traded back and still got the top wide receiver on their board. Thomas has great athletic ability, but really only put up big numbers one year in college. He'll have a chance to get immediate playing time in Washington.

Round 2, Pick 17 (48) (From Texans through Falcons) Fred Davis TE 6'4" 248 Southern Cal

Pick Analysis: Davis gives the Redskins a solid one-two punch at tight with starter Chris Cooley. Washington decided to add depth at the position because Davis' hands and his ability to separate were too good to pass up. He started 23 games over the past two years.

Round 2, Pick 20 (51) Malcolm Kelly WR 6'4" 218 Oklahoma

Pick Analysis:The Redskins use a second draft pick on a wide receiver in the round. Kelly is similar in size to Devin Thomas and gives the team a lot of young talent to work with. It appears Washington will wait to address its other needs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-was

Thanks for the info...saves me from doing it myself. I am scratching my head over the picks myself. Dan Snyder is obsessed with wideouts.

I'm glad the team is finally "obsessed" with improving the passing game. The WR position has been neglected for much too long. This is a smart move. They won't have a ton of money tied up in any of these guys so if one of them busts then they won't be out all that much. The odds are that the Redskins just drafted at least one impact WR that will pay dividends for years to come. I'm also excited about the two wide TE sets we'll be seeing this season. These changes are really going to open up the run game for Portis. He could have a monster year. :notworthy to Vinny and the crew.

Please, those analysis of players are so damn fickle it's annoying. Some magazines/websites say that Thomas and Kelly are extremely tough others say they aren't tough. It all depends on the person evaluating them and how they interpret things. If the coaching staff and Jason Campbell liked them that is good enough for me. People still think Sean Taylor is a bad person. But we here at, ExtremeSkins, know that wasn't the case. It is all about perception and individual biases.

Thanks for the great post.

It looks like we got a lot of "draft value" -- namely three possible 1st rounders. Like many, I was concerned abuth the TE pick but I'm glad to read that Zorn uses two tight ends.

We'll get at least one real player out of these rounds. Only so many spots on the depth chart, OL & DL tomorrow. . . .

Archived