Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Analysis Of The Skins' Draft (Multiple Sources)

Redskins Trade Down; And It Pays Off With WR Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly

sportz-assassinPosted Apr 26th 2008 8:02PM by Sportz Assassin

Filed under: Falcons, Redskins, NFC East, NFL Draft, Washington, DC

thomas-kevin-c.-cox.jpgThe Washington Redskins traded out of the first round and actually *gasp* picked up some extra picks. The deal goes down like this:

• Redskins deal away their first round pick (#21), third round pick (#84) and fifth round pick (#154)
  • Falcons deal away their two second round picks (#34 and #48) and fourth round pick (#103)

That means that Washington gets three second round picks and it may have been a great move. Washington is looking for a big-time receiver and there were ZERO selected in the first round (many mock drafts, including ours) which had them looking in that direction.

UPDATE: Washington selects WR Devin Thomas with that first pick. Outstanding pick! Many people figured he'd be somewhere in the middle to late first round and would have been a nice pick at #21. He's a nice addition to the West Coast Offense (strong, great hands, breaks tackles, turns small catches into big gains).

UPDATE: Washington selects TE Fred Davis with the other second round pick. Eh!?! Dude is a beast but we already have a Pro Bowl tight end in Chris Cooley. Now, Davis is a former running back who was turned into a great pass catching tight end and is another good pickup for a West Coast Offense.

UPDATE: Washington selects WR Malcolm Kelly ... and I am ecstatic! I had Kelly going to the Redskins in the FanHouse mock draft so it is obvious that I love his talent. This is that big receiver with great hands that Washington desperately needs.

3. Washington (from Oakland though Atlanta) select: Devin Thomas

Comment: The Redskins' pick of Devin Thomas was a no-brainer, and they'll be sure to send a fruit basket to the Rams. Thomas has size and speed, which the Redskins need badly. It might take 2/3rds of the season, but Thomas should do well in the Redskins' West-Coast offense.

17. Washington (from Houston through Atlanta) select: Fred Davis, TE, Southern California

Comment: Fred Davis is a player I watched a lot of in college. He reminds me of Alge Crumpler, which is why I am surprised that the Redskins would take him when they have a guy BETTER than Crumpler at tight end in Chris Cooley. No doubt, Davis is a terrific West-Coast Offense tight end, but I don't know how he'll fit into Washington's plans.

20. Washington Redskins select: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Comment: Suddenly, Washington's receiving corps got a lot bigger. Between Devin Thomas and Kelly, the average size of their receiving corps went up three inches. Kelly appears to be a quality possession-type receiver with good hands and decent speed. He might take a little while to develop, but he should be fine in the long run. Washington's WR corps is really intriguing now.

Dave Richad, Second-round draft analysis pick by pick, CBS Sportsline

Anyone else get the feeling we are going to use Davis as the heir apparent to Sellars. Think about it. He obviously had skills as a RB to get a scolarship to USC where he developed soft hands and has the size of a TE. I am more excited about this pick now that this dawned on me!

Redskins Redskins 2 34 Devin Thomas WR 6-1 216 Michigan State

The Redskins' patience pays off as they trade back and still get one of this year's top wideouts

Redskins Redskins 2 48 Fred Davis TE 6-4 250 USC

Davis was actually my top-rated tight end, and will work with Chris Cooley at the TE spot in Washington.

Redskins Redskins 2 51 Malcolm Kelly WR 6-3 219 Oklahoma

Kelly had a curious Pro Day in early April, blaming the Oklahoma facilities for his mediocre performance. He can play, though, and some had him going at No. 11 to Buffalo prior to the draft.

Peter Schrager, Draft Tracker, FOX Sports

Love this board.

Hate the media and dismiss them when they say something bad about the skins.

Love the media and tout them when they say something good.

I think we had a good day, i think we still needed to go DL and stand by it, but cannot be upset with the selections.

I do question who our most played 11 will be.

I dont see mike sellers being very active anymore unless one of our picks sits alot.

Anyone else get the feeling we are going to use Davis as the heir apparent to Sellars. Think about it. He obviously had skills as a RB to get a scolarship to USC where he developed soft hands and has the size of a TE. I am more excited about this pick now that this dawned on me!

I see him as a replacment yes. I think the FB position is not really used by Zorn and a second tight end is. Thus Sellers will not see the field very much, which makes me sad because i heart sellers.

I see him as a replacment yes. I think the FB position is not really used by Zorn and a second tight end is. Thus Sellers will not see the field very much, which makes me sad because i heart sellers.

I think Sellars will still see a lot of field time...unless Davis is an absolute monster right off the bat he'll more than likely be relagated to back up status all year, no matter where he's used. But Sellers isn't getting any younger, and if what you're speculating turns out to be true I'm guessing the Skins felt they'd draft his successor now and groom him to take over in a season or two.

Zorn in the presser mentioned how Sellers can also be used as a TE in the WCO. I expect him to still be used. Plus, Zorn had Mack Strong as the lead blocker to Alexander in Seattle. Strong made two consecutive Pro Bowls there in 2005 and 2006.

Remember that Sellers will be 33 years old by the start of the season. Also, this will be his 14th season in professional football (he played in the CFL at age 19 in 1995).

Sometimes you talk to much. On one of your other posts you state that money players will stay on the field because they are money players. Yes, that is true throughout the league

Here, you write Sellers off, even though he has proven that he needs to be on the field.

Sellers will see the field and be used as a TE/FB. Making an assumption that he is not doesn't make sense.

Sportsline..........

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10800033

Comment: The Redskins' pick of Devin Thomas was a no-brainer, and they'll be sure to send a fruit basket to the Rams. Thomas has size and speed, which the Redskins need badly. It might take 2/3rds of the season, but Thomas should do well in the Redskins' West-Coast offense.

17. Washington (from Houston through Atlanta) select: Fred Davis, TE, Southern California

Comment: Fred Davis is a player I watched a lot of in college. He reminds me of Alge Crumpler, which is why I am surprised that the Redskins would take him when they have a guy BETTER than Crumpler at tight end in Chris Cooley. No doubt, Davis is a terrific West-Coast Offense tight end, but I don't know how he'll fit into Washington's plans.

Comment: Suddenly, Washington's receiving corps got a lot bigger. Between Devin Thomas and Kelly, the average size of their receiving corps went up three inches. Kelly appears to be a quality possession-type receiver with good hands and decent speed. He might take a little while to develop, but he should be fine in the long run. Washington's WR corps is really intriguing now.

that's what I was thinking as well. Use Davis as the h-back/FB while use Cooley as the main TE or even spread Cooley out to the slot wr position in some cases while Davis slides into the main TE spot.

Alot of options/possibilites are there.

PLUS.................Davis was a former RB, so now the chances of him replacing Sellers as the full-time FB go up alot.

Rivals.com

The buzz: The Redskins worked out receivers in the past few weeks and decide to go for Thomas over Malcolm Kelly - likely based on the fact that he has much better straight-line speed. Thomas has the ability to also return kickoffs. He shouls see a fair amount of action as a rookie.

The buzz: The Redskins continue to address the passing game. They added WR Devin Thomas earler and now select possibly the best pass-catching TE in the draft. This does not address their needs at DE and OL, but it offers more help for the progression of QB Jason Campbell.

The buzz: Chances are that new coach Jim Zorn plans to use more three or four receiver schemes. The Redskins have now grabbed Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly in the past 20 choices.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/nfldraft.asp?Round=2

L.A. Times

No. 34 Washington Redskins (from Oakland Raiders through Atlanta Falcons)

Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

6-2, 215

Thomas is extremely strong with a sculpted upper body. He's not quite Calvin Johnson, but close. His 79 catches in 2007 broke the previous school record of 68, set by Charles Rogers in 2002. The question on Thomas is, can he do it over the long haul or was he just a one-season wonder?

No. 48 Washington Redskins (from Houston Texans through Atlanta Falcons)

Fred Davis, TE, USC

6-3, 255

Few players benefited from staying around for their senior season the way Davis did. He's very fast for his size and runs good routes. His blocking has improved, but it still has a way to go. He should make an impact right away in the passing game.

No. 51 Washington Redskins

Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

6-4, 224

Kelly is an intriguing athlete who might have gotten more attention had he not encountered injury problems this offseason. Hampered by thigh problems, he missed some postseason workouts and gave scouts reason to be concerned. Because he played in an offense that was more run-based, Kelly wasn't known as a big-play threat. He has the size and strength to succeed in the right NFL system, though, as long as he's healthy and tough enough.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-1round27apr27,1,4724610.story?page=7

Lmao at the inches comment :laugh: :laugh:

Even he's baffled by the TE selection.

Even he's baffled by the TE selection.

he shouldn't be and You shouldn't be either. We will use Davis as the h-back/FB while use Cooley as the main TE or even spread Cooley out to the slot wr position in some cases while Davis slides into the main TE spot.

Alot of options/possibilites are there.

PLUS.................Davis was a former RB, so now the chances of him replacing Sellers as the full-time FB go up alot.

Archived