Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Analysis Of The Skins' Draft (Multiple Sources)

I think Sellars will still see a lot of field time...unless Davis is an absolute monster right off the bat he'll more than likely be relagated to back up status all year, no matter where he's used. But Sellers isn't getting any younger, and if what you're speculating turns out to be true I'm guessing the Skins felt they'd draft his successor now and groom him to take over in a season or two.

I agree with everything you say here Cali, you make a good point, especially about Sellers not getting younger. I like the groom theory, its how it should be done. Nice work.

Zorn in the presser mentioned how Sellers can also be used as a TE in the WCO. I expect him to still be used. Plus, Zorn had Mack Strong as the lead blocker to Alexander in Seattle. Strong made two consecutive Pro Bowls there in 2005 and 2006.

Remember that Sellers will be 33 years old by the start of the season. Also, this will be his 14th season in professional football (he played in the CFL at age 19 in 1995).

Yes i know sellers will be old and so i figure his play time will become less and less.

I know all about Mack Strong but i also know that Zorn was not the OC just the QB coach but the system will be very similar. I also know they didnt have 2 highly rated TEs on that team.

I dont think sellers would be that good of a TE so Davis over sellers does make sense with our system (or what we expect our system to be, since we havent seen it yet).

Sometimes you talk to much. On one of your other posts you state that money players will stay on the field because they are money players. Yes, that is true throughout the league

Here, you write Sellers off, even though he has proven that he needs to be on the field.

Sellers will see the field and be used as a TE/FB. Making an assumption that he is not doesn't make sense.

Fred, maybe i am not taking too much, maybe you dont care to listen or to be civil. I have been civil in all discussion tonight.

I said money players will stay on the field yes, that is true and you agreed. --not sure how that is talking to much.

I didnt write sellers off. I notice that only 11 players can be on the field at once. 5 oline, portis, cooley, moss, and JC are must starts. Thats 9 players. That leaves 2 spots left. We drafted 3 offensive players in the second round, then add in sellers and ARE. So either the picks or sellers will see reduced time or ARE will see reduced time.

Thus is the picks are not great they wont see the field and if sellers is not great he wont. But this is actually a great thing, having too much talent is a good thing. It would only be bad if we have other holes or problems that could have been filled. We wont know until the season.

Its not that hard to come to that conclusion. I really like sellers, alot, but as the above posters have pointed out he is getting old and it might be time for him to see the field less. Not sure where i am out of line here.

Sometimes i think you want me to bash the team or be negative even when im not.

I thought the TE selection was a bit strange when it happened. What was the general sense on the board when it went down? Were there mass flamers?

That's exactly what happened. The board went down, literally crashed and burned. It effin sucked.

I thought the TE selection was a bit strange when it happened. What was the general sense on the board when it went down? Were there mass flamers?

Heads exploded all over the place. Blood and brains everywhere. Mass Hysteria.

You know. The usual.

amazing, but I don't know if it will be good or bad. I'd like to have gotten a DE, but Philip Merling was gone. Calais Campbell was there and has just as much upside as Malcolm Kelly does. Stay tuned...

Actually Campbell was taken the pick before we took Kelly but we could have taken him when we took Davis the TE out of USC. The thing with Campbell is we have his position coach at College as our D line coach so we probably know more about him than any team in the NFL and we passed. He may turn out to be a steal and a 10 year starter but I think there is more chance he busts. Time will tell ......

We clearly stuck to our board and went best player available which I am fine with. We certainly got value and I think we can put the trade for Chad Johnson threads to bed now.

I dont think we have to worry about Davis becomeing our next FB. then one thing he doesnt do well is block. From NFL.com:

"Negatives: Lacks ideal size and bulk, but compensates with long arms and good timing on his leaps to win most jump-ball battles...Adequate student who needs several reps to retain plays...Has good speed, but is sometimes late off the snap, especially when he tries to power his way through the jam rather than push off...Generally alert to stunts, but can be drawn offside, as his concentration seems to lapse when asked to stay and block in-line...Struggles to easily avoid defenders in the open, as he tries to get too fancy with his moves, at times...Not physical on contact and seldom able to control and finish when asked to block vs. bigger defensive linemen...Makes an inconsistent effort to quickly reach the second level and is seldom able to gain position or control the defender (needs to stay with his blocks longer in the open field and will shy away from contact at times)....Needs to improve his overall strength, as he lacks the ideal power and body mass to be an efficient lead blocker at the next level... Makes good body adjustments going up for the ball, but needs to give up his body better in attempts to secure the catch in crowded areas.

Compares To: CHRIS COOLEY-Washington...As an H-back or playing the role of receiving tight end, teams will find Davis is quite successful at getting to the ball in the open. He lacks the "sand in his pants" along with bulk and strength to be a blow-up type of blocker and only gives marginal effort when blocking in-line, but he gets out in front on outside runs and while not physical, he will pester a second-level defender. He has the long reach and timing to get to the ball at its high point and has never had ball-security issues after the catch. Flex him out or keep him in motion and you will get very good production from Davis, especially when needing a bigger receiver to attack the deep secondary."

Nope, not much of a blocker. I dont mind getting both WR's where we got them, but we really need up to upgrade our DL and OL badly. This year might make that alamingly clear.

Heh, Mel Kiper stated that Redskins were "winners" in their draft when they went around the table to declare there losers and winners. I think this draft isn't as bad as some of us are making it out to be.

I here you but not one OL or DE was slated as 'best player available' at 48 or 51?

Sporting News: Redskins Team Report

3 (34) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State (6-2, 210)

War Room scouts: The Redskins already had two good, small receivers in Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El, and Thomas complements them well. He is a big, physical receiver who can make big plays with the ball in his hands. He could also be a dangerous kickoff returner.

Woody: Thomas should fill the Redskins' need for a big wide receiver. He shows good speed and the leaping ability to go up and grab the ball. He should quickly get onto the field as the No. 3 receiver, provided he learns the offense quickly. Thomas' arrival should enable Antwaan Randle El to move into the slot in passing situations, where his quickness off the line and ability to get down the middle in a hurry should provide a boost to the aerial attack.

17 (48) Fred Davis, TE, USC (6-3, 254)

War Room scouts: Davis might have been a first-round pick if there were no questions about his maturity and work ethic. He has the athleticism and hands to be a versatile receiver and could team with Chris Cooley to give the Redskins two dangerous receiving tight ends.

Woody: Although Davis struggled to catch passes at the Combine, the Redskins think that performance was an aberration and that he has good hands overall. Davis shows good mobility and is similar to Chris Cooley in terms of size and speed. In order to be included in the team's two-tight end packages early on, Davis will need to improve his blocking. Eventually, the team will be able to use him in a number of ways in its West Coast offense.

20 (51) Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma (6-4, 227)

War Room scouts: Despite taking big receiver Devin Thomas at the beginning of the second round, the Redskins took another one here. Kelly has the best hands in this year's receiver class but did not run well in pre-draft workouts. He has enough quickness to get open in the NFL and will be a good, productive possession receiver in time.

Woody: Kelly will battle rookie Devin Thomas for time as the No. 3 wide receiver. Kelly's poor 40 time (4.68) caused him to slide to the second round, but the Redskins are confident he plays faster than the stopwatch indicates. He shows good short-area speed, which should enable him to burst off the line. He should prove to be a good target in the red zone.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=405029

Please, those analysis of players are so damn fickle it's annoying. Some magazines/websites say that Thomas and Kelly are extremely tough others say they aren't tough. It all depends on the person evaluating them and how they interpret things. If the coaching staff and Jason Campbell liked them that is good enough for me. People still think Sean Taylor is a bad person. But we here at, ExtremeSkins, know that wasn't the case. It is all about perception and individual biases.

Yeah, reading those things is like reading a horoscope. Too many ways to take it.

In fairness, it's hard to sum a man up in a paragragh.

Well, I can tell you my reaction. I was stunned at first, cause I had never considered drafting a TE with Cooley on the roster, then I started researching our pick. Seems that he was the highest rated TE on the board, had multiple awards from college, and he is younger and hopefully better than anyone else we have behind Cooley. After Cooley, we aint got much left there. If he can be taught how to block, he seemingly already has the hands, he could be a force allowing Cooley to beat an opposing D into submission with the other WR's crossing/stretching the field and keeping the secondary honest. Almost scares me though how the draft pundits are praising Vinny and Snyder for having a plan and sticking with it...............could they actually be learning more about what it takes to build a team than we ever hoped?

Stay tuned for the latest saga in the long running soap that is the Washington Redskins.

Archived