Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Lewis: Bengals prepared to move on without disgruntled Johnson,(merged)

SkinsMaster88

I know that this isn't directly related to the Redskins, but as Chad Johnson is still rumored to be one of the options for the Redskins to upgrade their WR corps, I felt it was still relevant. Plus, it's an actual story rather than all the April Fool's threads. Mods, feel free to delete if you think it just needs to be in the Around the NFL forum.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3324154

Lewis: Bengals prepared to move on without disgruntled Johnson

ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 1, 2008, 2:57 PM ET

If Chad Johnson decides to sit out the season, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Tuesday the team is prepared to move on without him.

Hopefully some of the things he said, he's going to have to face one way or another. If he shows and does things, and does [them] the right way, I'm willing to take the bullets for him again and allow him to come back the right way.

Lewis reiterated Tuesday that the team has no plans to trade Johnson, but he's willing to welcome Johnson back to the team if he changes his tune.

"It's unfortunate that Chad has put himself in that situation because a lot of people who really had affection for him now see him in a different light," Lewis said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

"Hopefully some of the things he said, he's going to have to face one way or another. If he shows and does things, and does [them] the right way, I'm willing to take the bullets for him again and allow him to come back the right way."

...Rest at link

He's prolific, but I really don't want him here in DC.

He'll be 30 for this next season. He'll demand a new deal upon arrival. We'll have to pony up numerous draft picks for him.

If he comes here, jells well, plays well, and the team wins, then great. But if any of those things don't happen, do you think he'll just be quiet like a good soldier?

There have been whispers about some players not liking Portis for his style and attitude, Chad would be a different breed that we've never seen in DC.

Every WR slows down. Moulds, Harrison, Bruce, Muhammed, Glenn, etc. A million examples of WRs declining after a few years at or near the top, esp past 30. I don't deny that he'd probably put up 1200 yards and 8 TDs in each of the next two years... but I'm not looking forward to pay him to decline in two years when the rest of the team is actually ready for big-time.

Shoot as long as we don't give him more then 3 yrs, im cool with it, he doesn't even want money like that, he just not happy with the talent of team and where they heading, he want a lombardi before he retire... can't be mad at that.

I actually believe Marvin Lewis and the Bengals when they say that Chad's either going to be playing in Cincinnati next season, or he'll have to retire. If Lewis gives Chad what he wants and trades him, then I believe, that he will have lost the rest of the players inside of that locker room. Lewis is one bad step away from being fired as the head coach there, and if he lets Chad show the rest of the team they can get what they want by whining and making a scene like a 3-year old then what's stopping other players in Cincinnati from demanding more money or a trade to another team?

If you couldn't tell, I have no interest in the Skins making any moves to obtain Johnson. He's slowly turning into T.O. more and more every day, and the fact that he's 30 and most likely has 4 to 5 solid years left before he starts to decline. He's also going to want a long deal, meaning we'd be overpaying another 30-year old. IF the Bengals decide to shop him, and I doubt they want to take an $8 million cap hit, they would ask for at least a 1st and 3rd round pick. I would rather keep all 9 picks and rebuild through the draft.

The problem is that he still won't come on the relatively cheap because teams like Dallas, and I am sure others, will be in line with offers if the Bengals entertain trade offers. I personally think that a 1st rounder is still too much for a 30+ year old WR even if he is a 5 time pro bowler. Again if we are to give up a first rounder I would rather get a younger guy like Boldin or Williams.

The Bengals are ass holes for not letting him go. They're strong arming him when they should open the door for trades IMO. If the guy doesn't want to be there, then they should let him roll. I'm not advocating letting every whining superstar get his way, but I think CJ and the Bengals need a divorce so we can go after him :laugh: Seriously though, they don't seem like they're going to let him hit the market, at least any time soon.

Im good on the Chad Johnson, Ill pass but thank you though. He spoiled my appitite with his media tirade about "The money". I still see him coming here, but i wont be excited until i see he isnt going to be a headache. Im not thrilled with paying him a boat load either.

As great as Chad Johnson is its just not worth it, unless we get him for a 2nd rounder and thats it. Most teams refuse to trade players that demand trades, because its just flat out bad business. Just like the Bears didn't trade Lance Briggs last year, if a team gives in to one player than every player will think they can get away with whining until they are traded.

He was wearing a Redskins jersey and now he wants to play for our archrivals !

He just wants a deal with a team that's gonna give him a big contract, and the Redskins are at the top of everyone's list in that regard. If we're not gonna make moves to trade for him, then he's gotta move on-- or at least hedge his bet with a team already open to taking on troubled WRs.

It's not like he has any loyalty to us. He's just looking for a payday.

Archived