Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Lewis: Bengals prepared to move on without disgruntled Johnson,(merged)

SkinsMaster88

1. I would trade him for a 2nd or 3rd at the most. He's the Bengals problem not ours...we shouldn't have to give up an arm and a leg for him.

2. I would only want him if he re-did his contract for around 4 years $12 million at the most and somehow have incentives each year if he played a certain amount of games and the team was successful.

Both are unlikely so....

He's prolific, but I really don't want him here in DC.

He'll be 30 for this next season. He'll demand a new deal upon arrival. We'll have to pony up numerous draft picks for him.

If he comes here, jells well, plays well, and the team wins, then great. But if any of those things don't happen, do you think he'll just be quiet like a good soldier?

There have been whispers about some players not liking Portis for his style and attitude, Chad would be a different breed that we've never seen in DC.

Every WR slows down. Moulds, Harrison, Bruce, Muhammed, Glenn, etc. A million examples of WRs declining after a few years at or near the top, esp past 30. I don't deny that he'd probably put up 1200 yards and 8 TDs in each of the next two years... but I'm not looking forward to pay him to decline in two years when the rest of the team is actually ready for big-time.

If NE can get Moss for 4th or 5th round pick

If Dallas can get TO for wanna say 2nd but i am not sure

Titan want 4th and next year 5th for pacman

we can get CJ for 3rd or later

Point of the matter is CJ is better than all our WR's including Moss.

CJ will make moss better

The Bengals are ass holes for not letting him go. They're strong arming him when they should open the door for trades IMO. If the guy doesn't want to be there, then they should let him roll. I'm not advocating letting every whining superstar get his way, but I think CJ and the Bengals need a divorce so we can go after him :laugh: Seriously though, they don't seem like they're going to let him hit the market, at least any time soon.

If they do trade him, its not going to be till after June 1, so they can avoid the huge cap hit.

As for giving up draft picks- What reciever could we draft in the first or second round that would give us the kind of impact that he would be, from day one with us ????

Besides, if we do trade for him it will be based on 2009 draft picks.

Hey, am all for building thru the draft, but lets be serious, our recieving corp could use a big, heathy boost.

If you watched the NFL video, he said its not about the money, its about winning and getting to the superbowl.

Since we have all our picks this year, lets build our depth and for the future. Use next years pick and a player (Betts maybe) and get Johnson in here this year.

The other thing I'd hate to see is a division rival lure him in. At this point, it's easy to see why some of the "so called experts" are predicting the Skins to finish last in the NFC East. (New coach, no experience, new playbook, let's be friends approach, etc., no FA signings to address needs...)

ok I know if they Cincy trades him before June 1st he will cost them 8 Mil towards the cap, but anyone know what will he cost AFTER June 1st?

I say give him our 1st and Ladell betts

according to draftsharks.com: $5 mil

http://www.draftsharks.com/members/shark_bite.aspx?id=7827

"Trading Ocho would result in a $5 million *net* cap hit, actually quite manageable. Plus the Bengals' cheap front office would enjoy clearing his 2008 $3 million salary off the books -- while collecting a 1st or 2nd-round pick and a good player or two in return. There are potential suitors (like Dallas or Washington) who are willing to tear up his current deal and pony up the new guaranteed money he wants. Stay tuned, folks... Ocho's gonna be traded this summer. Posted on 4/1/2008 7:26:47 PM"

according to draftsharks.com: $5 mil

http://www.draftsharks.com/members/shark_bite.aspx?id=7827

"Trading Ocho would result in a $5 million *net* cap hit, actually quite manageable. Plus the Bengals' cheap front office would enjoy clearing his 2008 $3 million salary off the books -- while collecting a 1st or 2nd-round pick and a good player or two in return. There are potential suitors (like Dallas or Washington) who are willing to tear up his current deal and pony up the new guaranteed money he wants. Stay tuned, folks... Ocho's gonna be traded this summer. Posted on 4/1/2008 7:26:47 PM"

Wonder if it happens on draft day, let say the Skins at 21 have the Bengals best WR on the board, lets say Devin Thomas, makes it easier for them to pull the trigger

Looks Like this was taken yesterday on Sports center. Very Interesting.

EDIT: Mods, please add to the ESPN-Lewis:Bangals prepared to move on Thread. This one had the video footage with the interview with Chad so great advice from the board to merge this. Thanks

Chad makes a very good point that people on here should hear.

he gives 100% no matter the record

He does not get into trouble off of the field

he is preparing to play this season and he will show up at REQUIRED team functions

So he celebrates after he scores a TD, SO WHAT!

Snyder is right to try and get this guy.

Chad makes a very good point that people on here should hear.

he gives 100% no matter the record

He does not get into trouble off of the field

he is preparing to play this season and he will show up at REQUIRED team functions

So he celebrates after he scores a TD, SO WHAT!

Snyder is right to try and get this guy.

PFT begs to differ:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

We’ve been predicting for several weeks that the ongoing mess between the Bengals and receiver Chad Johnson will go like this: (1) Johnson will continue to say and do things suggesting he wants out of Cincinnati; (2) the team will refuse to consider trading him; (3) Johnson will boycott all voluntary offseason activities; (4) Johnson will show up for all mandatory activities because he’s too cheap to pay the fine and/or give back bonus money; (5) during training camp or minicamp, Johnson will say or do things that will prompt someone on the coaching staff to say something Johnson doesn’t like; (6) Johnson will react by saying or doing something inappropriate; (7) the Bengals will suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team; (8) he will do sit-ups in his driveway for the media; and (9) agent Drew Rosenhaus will defend him in a “next question” press conference held on Johnson’s front lawn.

Okay, we don’t think the last two items will happen exactly that way. But the first seven will happen, we firmly believe.

The first two already have. On Wednesday, Johnson indicated that he won’t hold out.

“My plans are to show up and embarrass everybody that tries to cover me,” Johnson said Wednesday.

The balance of Johnson’s remarks, made on ESPN’s SportsCenter, confirm our belief that he’s too emotional and strong willed to control himself once he’s back in the fold with the team. Our guess is that many of his comments over the past two months, during which he openly has pleaded for teams in other cities to acquire him, were made contrary to the advice of Rosenhaus, who learned how not to handle a situation like this three years ago when representing Owens.

Surely, Rosenhaus will plead with Chad to behave when Chad reports for mandatory minicamps and/or training camp. And, just as surely, Chad won’t be able to do so, no matter how badly he might want to.

We definitely will have our popcorn ready.

Hey Chris thanks for Posting, otherwise I would have missed it. I'm sure the vast majority who opened this, are thankful as well. Other wise we wouldn't have, opened the thread. We just rarely post, the thanks.

I hate this guy with a passion and think this offseason he is conducting is as embarrassing as a grown man can be involved in (short of mixing it up with the law)... I would hate to think our team could benefit from having such a scumbag on the roster.... the cap implications and what the bengals would need to justify a trade (especially since they lost henry) make this trade virtually impossible... thank god...

I'm a fan of his but I'd sign him only if he's willing to shut up and play football.

Yeah, there would def have to be a "shut your mouth and play football" clause in his contract... labeled as such as well.

Johnson doesn't want a pay raise as much as he wants a chance for a superbowl ring while he is in his prime. He feels he can't get that with the Bengals, and he's probably right.

He's whining alot, and it looks bad... but the fact is, he doesn't show it on the field. He is a hard worker, and is prepared for every game. As much attention as he draws to himself, it is not as bad as what T.O. or Moss pulled, and look at them now.

You know so what that he runs his mouth as long as he delivers. I would take him in a heartbeat because he would seriously improve the chances for our team to make the playoffs. If I was on cincinatti I would be upset too. You have 2 receivers 1 who led the nfl in receptions and the other who was 10th in reception and they couldn't make the playoffs. Chad was critizied by Cincy media for his antics but he was frustrated. A playoff team in 05 with a record of 11-5 goes 8-8 the next year and 7-9 the year after.

And none of it was his fault

Archived