Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite underrated, or "under the radar" movie?

Bliz

"Silent Partner"

A Canadian movie starring Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer about a bank heist with a really interesting twist. Very good movie.

~Bang

I used to live in the apartment Elliot Gould's character owned in that movie. I never saw the movie before I lived there, but the landlord told me about the apartments history after I asked why there was a signed portrait of Elliot Gould screwed to the wall. I asked if I could remove it and he said no, it comes with the apartment.

Another one that I always enjoyed..."Air America".

One of my favorite scenes ever was when Mel Gibson & Robert Downey jr. are flying in a helicopter away from the VC. I always chuckle when I hear them discuss why they are being shot at by the VC.

Covington: Why are they shooting at us?

Riyak: Because they're unfriendly.

Covington: Why is everyone here so unfriendly?

Riyak: (exasperated)Because they haven't gotten to know us yet!

Frailty, starring Bill Paxton and Matthew McConaughey

great movie about brothers whose father comes home one day and tells them that God has chosen them to be his agents on earth and that they are to kill demons in human form. Your head will be spinning by the time the movie is done and it will disturb the hell out of you along the way.

Scariest movie I have ever seen.

SERIOUSLY!! Because you dont know if it could happen or is happening. Plus the fact that they didnt use any CGI and no "spooky" effects. Just realistic horror.

When he is on the gurney going down the hall......!!!

A list of some offbeat films that I always find gripping...

"Red", a 1994 french film by the late Krzysztof Kieslowski with a very yummy Irene Jacob

009.jpg

A few from anime:

"Kiki's Delivery Service" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dkLobz4bpw (a real feel good film, but in spite of its cuteness somehow never gets smaltzy)

"Princess Mononoke"

"Nausicaa"

"Grave of the Fireflies" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcOYKMnTM8 (one of the saddest films i've ever seen)

A couple more animated films based on Richard Adams novels:

"Watership Down"

"The Plague Dogs" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDzklWlvho

Someone already mentioned "Duel"...it is Speilberg's first film, and IMO one of his best.

Glad to find a thread like this, as it gives me some ideas of movies to check out.

I can vouch for Dirty Work, Idiocracy, and The Warriors which were already stated.

One that comes to mind right now is Kingpin. I rarely find someone who has watched it, and it is never even muttered in the same breath as other Farrelly Brothers movies, but it deserves to be.

Kingpin

Being a movie buff, I'm ashamed that I'm not participating in this thread more. How about "The Thing," Carpenter's version. IMO the scariest movie I've ever seen and a staple of my Halloween movie menu.

In the psychological horror genre, I have to recommend Cube. It's one of the more ****ed up and depressing movies I can think of. The sequels are interesting but I could take them or leave them.

How about Dark City? Fantastic move IMO with a great performance from Keifer Sutherland and a very surreal and creepy atmosphere throughout.

Another one that keeps popping into my head is Donnie Darko. Don't let the scenester infatuation turn you off, it is really a groundbreaking film. I recommend the original cut over the director's cut.

Speaking of films with multiple cuts, has anyone mentioned Blade Runner yet? Damn fine movie.

As for older, slightly cheesy horror, I would recommend Prince of Darkness, if for no other reason than Alice Cooper's cameo as a murderous hobo. Despite the fact that it's overloaded with an 80's synth soundtrack and definitely dated, it does still give me the creeps.

The Freshman seems to be a somewhat forgotten classic comedy that Godfather fans will enjoy.

I like The Abyss, especially the director's cut. Sue me.

If you really like cheesy flicks, check out Leviathan and Deepstar Six, two horribly ****ty movies designed to rip off the theme of The Abyss but enjoyable on the level of "so bad they're good."

My ULTIMATE ALL TIME FAVORITE AND BEST MOVIE is Chinatown. I consider it even higher than the likes of the Godfather (I, II or whatever) in terms of quality. It will always be my favorite movie of all time. Superb performances from Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway as well as John Huston playing one of the most vile villains ever.

Oldy-but-Goody mentions go to the Matlese Falcon and the Third Man. Bogey and Welles are great in their respective films (though Welles appears only in the final act of Third Man).

My favorite anime film is Ghost in the Shelll 2, but I don't know if that falls into the category of "underrated" as it was pretty highly lauded upon release.

As far as domestic animation, The Secret of Nihm always had somewhat of an effect on me.

"The Exorcist", part 3

This is the actual sequel to the original picture written by William Peter Blatty.. and it is truly scary. Don't let the title fool you. It's very good.

Oh....I think that's a DEFINITE invitation to the dance"

"Stalker" by Andrei Tarkovsky. Slow, deliberate and dirty with some insane extended, uncut acting scenes that suck you into their world of a fictional post-nuclear war Russia.

...and "Inland Empire" by David Lynch. For those with significant attention spans and the ability/willingness to think during a movie. Brilliant scenes and some that just make you jump out of your skin in WTF moments.

...and "Inland Empire" by David Lynch. For those with significant attention spans and the ability/willingness to think during a movie. Brilliant scenes and some that just make you jump out of your skin in WTF moments.

Ditto on that one. That movie was basically like what what would happen if someone could legitamately turn a nightmare into a movie.

Another one that just popped into my head is Killing Zoe.

alot of the movies listed on here like

Blade Runner

Boondock Saints

True Romance

have a HUGE cult following. Most people I know have seen these movies. They may not have done big numbers at the box office but they still are known by most people.

You guys remind me of just what a movie nut I am. I think there are five out fo the whole thread I haven't seen. And I agree almost all of them deserve mention.

I see some though that don't really meet the qualifications of the OP, so I will try to comply. I'll submit two Charles Bronson movies just because I never see them in our movie threads. Both are truly excellent and were under the radar

Hard Times (with James Coburn) about bare knucle amatuer fighters during the 30's 40's

and

Mr Majestyk about a melon farmer and a mafia hit man :)

If you watch these you will see how later and better known tough-guy movies borrowed from them in various characterizations and style. They are both very well done and entertaining. Lots of great scenes and lines--Mr Majestyk in particular, but great fight scenes in Hard Times.

The Star Chamber - Disgusted with criminals escaping the judicial system via technicalities, an idealistic young judge investigates an alternative method for punishing the guilty

Midnight Run - Bounty hunter Jack Walsh is sent to find and return bail jumper and former Mafia accountant, Jonathan "The Duke" Mardukas.

the boondock saints. great flick that never hit theatres

I agree, Boondock Saints was tough, but my most under rated movie is Sin City. I like how they used the gray shade with slight color throughout the movie. Plus Marv kicks ass!!!

Archived