Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite underrated, or "under the radar" movie?

Bliz

When the top 10 list was going around, there were a ton of great movies. But most people have seen the Godfather, Goodfellas, Apocalypse Now, etc. This thread is to promote those movies you love, that maybe a lot of people don't know about, or that you think are highly underrated. So post about a movie and why it's worth checking out.

I'm going to kick it off with True Romance. For fans of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, this is a must see. Tarantino wrote the screenplay, directed by Tony Scott of Top Gun fame, and it has all of QT's classic elements in it (Elvis, kung-fu, a Mexican stand-off, weird pop culture references, bursts of unexpected violence, etc.). Plenty of great dialogue as well, naturally.

Generally, it's a Tarantino fractured take on a romance movie - Clarence (Christian Slater) is basically a loser working in a comic book store in Detroit. He meets and falls for Alabama (Patricia Arquette) and they're quickly married. They unexpectedly come into possession of a suitcase full of cocaine and travel to Hollywood with the idea of selling it through a struggling-actor friend, unwittingly chased by the mob and the cops. Tough to really get into the plot without divulging too many details, but there's plenty more going on there.

The supporting cast is amazing and is a large part of what makes this movie so good: Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt, Smauel L. Jackson, James Gandolfini, Bronson Pinchot (Balki!), Tom Sizemore, Michael Rappaport and Chris Penn.

Mine is one called "Into the Night" starring Jeff Goldblum & Michelle Pfeiffer.

Directed by John Landis had all kinds of great cameos...it had a little bit of everything from Action, Comedy & Romance.

The plot: Jeff is an areospace engineer in Los Angeles who is suffering from insomnia and discovers his wife is having an affair. So he decides he is going to fly to Las Vegas have a meaningless one-nighter and comeback the next day. he gets to the airport and decides to back-out. As he is getting ready to leave the parking garage Michelle drops onto his car hood and jumps in the car. She is a jewel smuggler being chased by Iranians, the French and a psycho played by David Bowie. The movie then follows them all over L.A.

Not "Casablanca" by any means but the kind of movie that if I am flipping around the channels and I see it I will stop to watch it.

Memphis Belle.

While the movie is twisted in to a fictional story, it is very gripping and will make any guy who can truely appreciate what we did in WWII have to shake tears at the end. Matthew Modine does an excellent job in the lead role. Sean Astin, Harry Connick Jr., and Courtney Gaines also take turns stealing the show.

About a WWII bomber crew flying the Memphis Belle on her last mission. If they complete it, they go home, but the mission is extremely dangerous and the crew knows it. The CGI isn't very good at all, it looks bad, even. But they do incorporate real footage from dog fighting in WWII to make up for that. If you aren't a CGI whore and want to watch a high quality war flick, pick it up.

Maybe not so much underrated, more like old and forgotten- Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing" (1956) I usually cant stand old movies with all the horribly bad overacting, especially by the women, but this is one great story and beautifully filmed.

It stars Sterling Hayden-who by the way could kick John Wayne's A**-, the guy who played Gen Jack Ripper in Dr. Strangelove. Its about a racetrack robbery Hayden's character plans and the players he brings into the mix. Hayden;s love interest plays the stereotypical weak, shy scared love interest of the main character, but the best female performance in that movie is Marie Windsor as Sherry. Also starts Vince Edwards of Ben Casey fame.

Seriously half of the movies here I wouldn't consider "under the radar". Maybe you young whipper-snappers now don't get exposed to many of the classics like "Memphis Belle" but that movie was on HBO all the time back in the day and our VHS copy was completely worn out from watching it. I'd agree the following are under-the-radar:

- "Into the Night"

- "Swimming with Sharks" (saw it and didn't really like it too much)

- "Idiocracy"

- "Bad Lieutenant"

- "The Killing"

I'd vote for "District 13" as an under-the-radar movie (this one is French). Also, "Tae Guk Ki: The Brotherhood of War" (this one is like a Korean version of 'Saving Private Ryan').

"Blood Simple"

one of the Coen Brothers' first films. Absolutely fantastic.

Another underrated Coen movie is "the Hudsucker Proxy".. funny and charming all at the same time.

"Duel"

An early Spielberg movie (made for TV no less) about a guy traveling across the desert in his car, and the terrifying cat and mouse game an anonymous truck driver (who you never see) plays with him the whole way. (This one shows up in the "free Movies" section of the Comcast On-Demand listing quite often.)

"The Exorcist", part 3

This is the actual sequel to the original picture written by William Peter Blatty.. and it is truly scary. Don't let the title fool you. It's very good.

"Silent Partner"

A Canadian movie starring Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer about a bank heist with a really interesting twist. Very good movie.

~Bang

True Romance - great movie....good pick.

Thriller: Red Rock West with Nic Cage from 1993 and Night of the Running Man (1994) with Andrew McCarthy

For Horror: Darkness Falls - not everyones cup of tea but I got spooked. The tooth fairy is the villan - sounds gay but it had some great scenes.

For Sci Fi: The Puppet Masters from 1994. Low budget sci-fi but a good, fun movie.

War/Action: Hell is for Heroes - with Steve McQueen from 1962. For the times it was pretty intense.

I'm going to kick it off with True Romance. For fans of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, this is a must see. Tarantino wrote the screenplay, directed by Tony Scott of Top Gun fame, and it has all of QT's classic elements in it (Elvis, kung-fu, a Mexican stand-off, weird pop culture references, bursts of unexpected violence, etc.). Plenty of great dialogue as well, naturally.

It doesn't get much better than the exchange between Hopper and Walken. Classic dialogue.

I'll go with The Professional.

Archived