Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of "Thread Nazis", "Board Police", Mod wannabe's , ect...

PCS

I know I'm not the ideal ES member but I do think we can all get wound a bit and start jumping down peoples throats. I think we sometimes take ourselves entirely too seriously.

Agreed, It's easy to get wrapped up in things and forget that we're all just Redskins fans, and there is an actual person behind the post.

I think it's very similar to Road Rage in that regard. Somehow we're insulated from others, and that gives us the license to honk the horn/flip the bird/etc... stuff you wouldn't of course do if you were standing in front of someone.

I have a personal rule I've followed since day one... which is to approach every conversation on ES as if you were standing in front of that person. That doesn't mean you don't call out foolishness, or occasionally joke someone :D, or even argue. But what it DOES mean is that you carry yourself in the same way you would in person. Saying "stfu noob" if a question is asked is just not appropriate... and quite frankly if you pulled that kind of thing in a casual conversation with strangers, there's a good chance someone might take a swing :)

I was on here at least a year before I learned about the little triangular caution sign in the upper left of every post. So it probably doesn't hurt to mention it often. It's not clear from your post if you're aware of it. The idea is you click on it and a box opens up where you can type in a message. This directs attention from the mods immediately (if any happen to be online, haha).

Good clarification! I'd read that there's a feature to report posts, but I had no clue how to do it.

Does that symbol change if someone already has reported the post? That's my suggestion to avoid a batch of people reporting the same thing. If a user can know that the post already has been reported, then we can avoid duplicate reports going to the mods.

I have a personal rule I've followed since day one... which is to approach every conversation on ES as if you were standing in front of that person. That doesn't mean you don't call out foolishness, or occasionally joke someone :D, or even argue. But what it DOES mean is that you carry yourself in the same way you would in person. Saying "stfu noob" if a question is asked is just not appropriate... and quite frankly if you pulled that kind of thing in a casual conversation with strangers, there's a good chance someone might take a swing :) .....
Good post

Good clarification! I'd read that there's a feature to report posts, but I had no clue how to do it.

Does that symbol change if someone already has reported the post? That's my suggestion to avoid a batch of people reporting the same thing. If a user can know that the post already has been reported, then we can avoid duplicate reports going to the mods.

The symbol doesn't change. And I think multiple reports is a good thing (e.g. the titans4life thing last summer when nobody was on watch and the emails were delayed). You know ... like a five alarm fire instead of just a one alarm fire ... so to speak.

Actually, I wonder is that a problem amongst mods? Does the same thread get reported too often, which annoys the mods? I'd think that a post getting reported a lot could alert the mods that the thread is REALLY causing problems, as opposed to a thread that a few people don't like but most people are OK with.

Or you could go with "I reported YOUUUUUUUU! Neener neener neener!" :nana:

Then everyone could tell

That works for me. :silly:

Actually I often wonder if the fact that you are not face to face with a person causes the manner that people address other people. I have seen some of the rudest comments made by people on here that I thought were more mature than they showed in their posts. I think if you stop and reread your post before hitting the magic button that sends it to the board, you may find out what you said wasn't what you actually meant to say. Then again sometimes you say something in jest and forget to put a smiley icon on it and someone takes it as an insult when it wasn't meant to be one.

Sorry if my post in the thread you noted sounded cynical PCS, but it was somewhat of a surprise to see the way it evolved. We've all seen it, so much so that is has become the stock cliched response.

A new member joins, has that experience in his initial thread and I have to believe that he is thinking "Hey, this place is fun". He gets a lot of immediate replies, engaged in a conversation that stays upbeat and amusing instead of being browbeat. He stands a better than even chance of growing into the type of positive member of the community that makes ES so entertaining just from that.

No reason to apologize. And you said it better than I did originally with that post.

I can understand this and sometimes I get annoyed by it too. But I would think that sometimes its good to have the issue addressed in the thread itself (a) so that we don't cloud up the OPs PM inbox, in which case, they'll probably just ignore all the PMs and keep posting incorrectly, and (B) so that others who come here and didn't read the rules can actually learn from another person's mistakes. But that being said, I do understand your point.

Exactly. It's not always easy, but that is an effective learning tool for sure.

I have a personal rule I've followed since day one... which is to approach every conversation on ES as if you were standing in front of that person. That doesn't mean you don't call out foolishness, or occasionally joke someone :D, or even argue. But what it DOES mean is that you carry yourself in the same way you would in person. Saying "stfu noob" if a question is asked is just not appropriate... and quite frankly if you pulled that kind of thing in a casual conversation with strangers, there's a good chance someone might take a swing :)

My feelings exactly. I've always treated this board in just that way. And so have others. That's what has helped give the place its sense of community in the past. And I've tried to always post in that way.

Actually, I wonder is that a problem amongst mods? Does the same thread get reported too often, which annoys the mods? I'd think that a post getting reported a lot could alert the mods that the thread is REALLY causing problems, as opposed to a thread that a few people don't like but most people are OK with.

Speaking for myself, report away. Sure, there are duplicate reports but that's fine by me.

One problem that I have is when people use the "message board", when some of this could be done through PMs... Lots of times, threads are just cluttered with people giving advice about posting. It's annoying. I'd rather see actual contributions to the topic, or just people be quiet and post in another thread. If the thread is lame, why add more hits to it? Let it die a slow, cold death (or let PCS kill it quickly)...

I agree, I think all ES members should use PM for assisting those who need assisting..I love ES and it's members but I still hate that dang search function..LOL

Park City Skins,

Thank you for posting this. Recently, I posted an innocent thread about whether we should draft Mario Manningham. 5 different pseudo-policemen came in and told me I had committed a high crime and misdemeanor because there had been another thread about this subject THREE DAYS AGO! I looked and it wasn't even on the first two pages of threads. They continued to disrupt my thread, which now has over 115 responses, most on-topic about football.

Thank you for reminding them that chastising posters about non-issues is in fact counterproductive. It states in the rules that it's okay to post a thread if there's nothing on the first two pages, and I will continue to abide by that.

ES has always prided itself on its members "policing themselves". We've encouraged,(and continue to do so),the community to look after itself. This means members, both new and vet, are going to come in sometimes and recite rules and such. And that's very much welcomed here. That means that people care about the site and what it is trying to accomplish, (to continue to be the best for one). This is a good thing. The best case scenario, obviously, is one where a member is guilty of a rules violation or something along those lines, and is called on it by a fellow member or members. That member realizes this and things are corrected. All without a moderator stepping in. That's what makes the place work and that's what makes it the best. So for those of you who use those terms used in the title or others, keep in mind these people have the full support of the staff.,(Well, depending on the reply, for the most part they have our full support). And it is part of what makes this community so good. To those of you who do so, it's greatly appreciated.

Must have missed this the first time through. Keep trying though, you'll get the hang of it :laugh:

LD,

You were proven wrong and embarrassed. I broke no rule.

It seems like you're having a difficult time posting around here. Given this and your behavior in that other thread. It appears to be our fault... collectively, as a board and as a community.

What is it exactly that you would like everyone to do? Please, by all means, let US know how we can make YOUR stay a more pleasant one.

I guess we could start by taking all of the paid Dan Snyder employees off the board, and then we could ask people not to give you a hard time when you start a redundant thread, and THEN we can ask people to stand by while you bash them and call them names. Of course, if they retaliate, we'll call it a personal attack and ban them.

What else can we do? By all means, give it some thought, post the list when you have it finalized. We're eager to please you around here, it's what we live for. :cheers:

Park City Skins,

It states in the rules that it's okay to post a thread if there's nothing on the first two pages, and I will continue to abide by that.

not what it says....

the two page "rule" refers only to posting news articles or rumor articles, sources, that are a couple hours old.... NOT any thread subject

7. Ensure the topic you wish to initiate a thread about hasn’t already been posted.

If you are reporting Redskins "news" or "rumors" more than a few hours old, please use the Search Feature or scan the first two pages of the forum before posting, to ensure the news hasn't already been posted and the topic discussed.

Multiple topics will be closed or merged. This is a very large and active community, with sweeping media coverage and up-to-the-minute updates.

More than likely, if the news is older than a few hours, the information has already posted and is subject of active debate. If you wish to discuss that topic, you are encouraged to do so in the existing thread.

here's one many seem to forget......

18. Adhere to the advice and recommendations of the ExtremeSkins.com Staff.

Moderators are appointed because they exemplify the characteristics, attitude and values consistent with the standards set for the site. They have been instructed to enforce board rules, guidelines and policies exercising as much restraint as possible, and in such a way to encourage free expression of opinion. They have been entrusted and empowered with the ability and authority to achieve that standard.

ExtremeSkins allows a wide range of discussion. Please refrain from unfounded charges of censorship or other moderator action taken against a member on the grounds an ExtremeSkins Staffer (or team official) simply didn’t like the content of the opinion. We will never remove content from our community based on our personal views of the validity of that opinion. The team will not prevent any communication that is harsh or critical of the team. As a member, if you are engaged for a violation of the rules and happen to have expressed a viewpoint in opposition to that of the ES Staff, the engagement is due to an actual rule violation and not due to the content of the idea. The simple expression of our viewpoints that may be contrary to those of any member is not action against you and should not inspire charges of censorship. ES Staff members have an opinion they are allowed to express too.

These Rules and Guidelines have been promulgated and implemented with the best interest of the community in mind, and with the experience of five years of moderating one of the most active and successful sports-related message boards on the web. We thank you for your attention and cooperation in learning and respecting the rules. We're experiencing a recent surge in people who do not understand the meaning of the rules who continue to challenge whether the mods do. Such questions will always be answered in a private message or e-mail exchange. Any suggestion the people who wrote the rules and are asked to enforce them know them less than you will lead to an immediate temporary ban.

And now we come full circle bubba, we are back to that point where unless an officially board sanctioned and certified Mod (coming soon to a store near you!) says something it is dismissed as froggy wanna-be mods trying to build up their e-rep.

Said it before, I'll say it again.

Those that do "get" it, have.

Those that won't, never will.

Archived