Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of "Thread Nazis", "Board Police", Mod wannabe's , ect...

PCS

(Jumps up on announcement table).

Greeting ES. It's that friendly reminder time. I started this for several reasons,(and I've wanted to do this for awhile now). One of which is that over the past several months I've seen responses that have used those terms, (and others), indicated in the title. A member has been recited the rules and that member and sometimes others, reply with one of those terms. Another reason is the responses that sometimes are given by just those members reciting the rules can be more than just a little blunt and can cause more problems than they help. Okay. About those Mod wannabe's.

ES has always prided itself on its members "policing themselves". We've encouraged,(and continue to do so),the community to look after itself. This means members, both new and vet, are going to come in sometimes and recite rules and such. And that's very much welcomed here. That means that people care about the site and what it is trying to accomplish, (to continue to be the best for one). This is a good thing. The best case scenario, obviously, is one where a member is guilty of a rules violation or something along those lines, and is called on it by a fellow member or members. That member realizes this and things are corrected. All without a moderator stepping in. That's what makes the place work and that's what makes it the best. So for those of you who use those terms used in the title or others, keep in mind these people have the full support of the staff.,(Well, depending on the reply, for the most part they have our full support). And it is part of what makes this community so good. To those of you who do so, it's greatly appreciated. However, this does lead me into the next subject.

It's not the message sometimes, it's how it's delivered. That's pretty simple right there. There is a thread currently on the first page that was started by a new member. That thread is an example of how that message should be delivered, (though not a rule, it would be appreciated. At least by me). Notice also, the surprise by some about how the message wasn't delivered in what is becoming, (somewhat disturbingly), in typical ES pile on fashion.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240003

Too often, we see responses that border on rude. "Try using the search function Noob!" or something along those lines. Ladies and gents, I greatly appreciate the help. I really do. And with the above mentioned board policing itself subject in mind, it's part of what makes things work around here. However, instead of jumping on the OP's or members posting on a thread, try dialing it back a bit and be at least, even toned in your response. It will usually be received much better that way. Mind you, I understand there are exceptions, (such as trolls and such), but I think you all know what specifically I'm talking about here. That covers that one.

Reporting posts. We get them alot and again, greatly appreciated. It's a little difficult to keep up sometimes and those reported posts help a great deal in our efforts to moderate the community. Now we're not always going to agree with the reported posts, (whether it be merge, move, or something else), and will take no action. Please don't let this keep you from continuing to report posts. Because though we may not agree, it's still appreciated.

Thanks all and please don't forget to tip you waitresses and waiters. :)

So I'm actually curious. Is there a 'proper procedure' for doing this? I notice that Oldskool posted links to the rules and FAQs. Should we post those links in the responses when we're trying to show somebody that they may have broken a rule? Should we argue with them about the rule itself and what it really means, or just drop it? And if somebody else has already noted the same broken rule, should we make a point to let the offender know again?

I'd like to do what I can to help keep the place in order, but I don't want to add stress to the mods by creating incidents when I try to let somebody know about something.

So I'm actually curious. Is there a 'proper procedure' for doing this? I notice that Oldskool posted links to the rules and FAQs. Should we post those links in the responses when we're trying to show somebody that they may have broken a rule? Should we argue with them about the rule itself and what it really means, or just drop it? And if somebody else has already noted the same broken rule, should we make a point to let the offender know again?

I'd like to do what I can to help keep the place in order, but I don't want to add stress to the mods by creating incidents when I try to let somebody know about something.

No. No "proper" procedure. Just do what you feel is best in assisting those members. It's a situational thing if you will. Depends on the circumstances. Certainly,where applicable, a link such as the ones you used as examples would be a good way to do things. As for repeating things, that's situational as well. Some need things repeated several times to get the message being delivered. :) As for continuing on or just dropping, those times are what the report post function is for. In other words, if you find yourself getting into an argument, (sometimes along with others), it's time to use that function. Someone isn't getting the message.

How can you possibly have had the time to make 27,000 posts, when you are working mending fences, and trying to keep the coyotes off the south range? ;) :laugh:

We joined ES about the same time, and I am retired now and I only got 9,000. :D

The tailgate.....word association..before they stopped counting:laugh:

How can you possibly have had the time to make 27,000 posts, when you are working mending fences, and trying to keep the coyotes off the south range? ;) :laugh:

We joined ES about the same time, and I am retired now and I only got 9,000. :D

My guess is you have a life.

doh.jpg

Just kidding Jay, but you have to admit it was the perfect set up.

TBH at this point I feel you guys are fighting a lost cause. Extremeskins is NOTHING like it used to be, and with the recent departures of over half the staff in the last year and a half, I think that's pretty evident.

Hell I can't remember the last time I saw a thread that gave me information I didn't already know, or got from another site, which we used to be known for.

It also seems there is way too much lee way given to members around here that never used to be allowed.

The rules of the board are clearly written, and to join here people had to at least click a button saying they will abide by those rules.

Instead of giving warnings time and time again, why not just ban these idiots, and be done with them?

Are we scared we won't have 70 thousand members running around here, or has the staff just gotten soft?

Ban the idiots I say, and clean this place the hell up.

If you don't, the people that made this place what it is will all be gone, and all you'll have left is a Redskin owned chicken little board.

:2cents:

Stop the madness.

:mad:

One problem that I have is when people use the "message board", when some of this could be done through PMs... Lots of times, threads are just cluttered with people giving advice about posting. It's annoying. I'd rather see actual contributions to the topic, or just people be quiet and post in another thread. If the thread is lame, why add more hits to it? Let it die a slow, cold death (or let PCS kill it quickly)...

I'm not sure how the "report a post" feature works, but I'm guessing the mods have to read a lot of complaints about the same post. How about if there's a visual flag placed where a post has been reported? That way, everyone will know it's already been reported, and others don't need to type the same complaint? Mods do so much work here. I'd love to figure out a way to decrease your workload.

One problem that I have is when people use the "message board", when some of this could be done through PMs... Lots of times, threads are just cluttered with people giving advice about posting. It's annoying. I'd rather see actual contributions to the topic, or just people be quiet and post in another thread. If the thread is lame, why add more hits to it? Let it die a slow, cold death (or let PCS kill it quickly)...

I agree with these points.

Sometimes it's kind of a waste making a thread when you can simply PM a mod and ask for help.

Knowing of what you specifically speak of, you were golden. Thank you. :)

Sorry if my post in the thread you noted sounded cynical PCS, but it was somewhat of a surprise to see the way it evolved. We've all seen it, so much so that is has become the stock cliched response.

A new member joins, has that experience in his initial thread and I have to believe that he is thinking "Hey, this place is fun". He gets a lot of immediate replies, engaged in a conversation that stays upbeat and amusing instead of being browbeat. He stands a better than even chance of growing into the type of positive member of the community that makes ES so entertaining just from that.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the people that throw around the charges of censorship, make the "wanna be mod" comments and post the snide drive-bys were themselves stomped on when they walked in the door. That first impression can color a person's views on who and what we are here. It is like those people that say "Well, my daddy beat me and I turned out ok" as they smack their own kids.

You get what you give. Especially in an environment online such as this, all we have is what people bring to the table. Positive inclusive interaction breeds more of the same, just the way that crabby griping inspires others to do it too. 99.9% of things that bug people here are self-inflicted wounds.

I can understand this and sometimes I get annoyed by it too. But I would think that sometimes its good to have the issue addressed in the thread itself (a) so that we don't cloud up the OPs PM inbox, in which case, they'll probably just ignore all the PMs and keep posting incorrectly, and (B) so that others who come here and didn't read the rules can actually learn from another person's mistakes. But that being said, I do understand your point.

I'm not sure how the "report a post" feature works, but I'm guessing the mods have to read a lot of complaints about the same post.
I was on here at least a year before I learned about the little triangular caution sign in the upper [edit: right] of every post. So it probably doesn't hurt to mention it often. It's not clear from your post if you're aware of it. The idea is you click on it and a box opens up where you can type in a message. This directs attention from the mods immediately (if any happen to be online, haha).

I was on here at least a year before I learned about the little triangular caution sign in the upper left of every post. So it probably doesn't hurt to mention it often. It's not clear from your post if you're aware of it. The idea is you click on it and a box opens up where you can type in a message. This directs attention from the mods immediately (if any happen to be online, haha).

Don't you mean upper right?

Turn your monitor around Mark! :laugh:

But seriously, this is a good example of what Thinking said, often the small things never really come up and you might just notice them mentioned in a conversation and learn something. We all err at one time or another, it doesn't have to be that big a deal, but learning from someone else's stumble serves to keep us from doing it ourselves.

I am sure given the choice the mods would prefer reading the reports than having to break up a slap fight in a thread.

I'd like to say we need a sticky alone on the search function, or maybe add a screen to when a poster makes a thread that says "Have you used the search function or checked the most recent 2 pages of threads?" to check on so the poster thinks and looks before he/she posts (thus, the mods have even more backing for a NNT label).

I will say this, the other day I saw a YouTube of one of the talking Elmo's that after it's battery was replaced it started saying crazy death threats like "Kill James". I was going to start a thread in Tailgate cause that seemed like a great thread to talk about/laugh at in Tailgate. Search function again proved useless after typing "Elmo", so I looked through about 2-3 pages of threads and BINGO! there was a "Elmo making death threats". Thus, no MET required, no NNT for me-- problem solved.

Common sense + checking +search function (that's as reliable as Lloyd catching a pass for the Skins ;)- sorry it's true ) = less headaches for the Mods, less thread merging/fixing, less snippy current posters.

Think before you post a thread. And maybe ES can help those who forget/fail to think to do so as well.

Just a suggestion.

-WD

Archived